Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2018, 06:42 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BIF - Bats in Flight

I photographed some Grey-headed Flying Foxes (fruit bats) yesterday and was wondering if anyone else has photos of bats in flight?

Grey-headed Flying Fox
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

---------- Post added 12-03-18 at 12:53 PM ----------

Another one of the whole bat.

Grey-headed Flying Fox
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

03-11-2018, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry Rob, I posted mine in the other B.I.F. thread BIF Photography - Page 35 - PentaxForums.com
03-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Neat. So this guy comes out in daylight? I have no knowledge of this variety. Mine are active at dusk, and I'd love to get some pictures of them, but it's so dim and they fly so fast and erratically you can barely see them and keep up with them visually.
03-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Neat. So this guy comes out in daylight? I have no knowledge of this variety. Mine are active at dusk, and I'd love to get some pictures of them, but it's so dim and they fly so fast and erratically you can barely see them and keep up with them visually.
There's always some bats flying around in a Fruit Bat roost, because someone will have attacked someone else for being too close, or something disturbs them. They don't leave to feed until sunset, so the whole colony can't be seen taking flight until then. They hunt visually and can't echolocate like microbats. We have microbats in Australia as well; the horseshoe bats often hunt for insects at sunset and sunrise, while the bentwing bats seem to hunt later at night. Horseshoe bats fly relatively slowly and look a bit like huge moths fluttering around, while the Bentwing bats fly very fast. The only bats I recall seeing in the USA was the colony of microbats in Carlsbad Caverns.

03-16-2018, 05:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
Photos: Gallery
Bats leaving a cave early evening near Battambang, Cambodia

...and within a cave in Khao Sok Thailand

03-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
There's always some bats flying around in a Fruit Bat roost, because someone will have attacked someone else for being too close, or something disturbs them.
Thanks for the info. They are neat critters. I've been thinking of hanging a bat house. I think I should go for it and see if I can setup to catch them at dusk.
03-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Bats leaving a cave early evening near Battambang, Cambodia
...and within a cave in Khao Sok Thailand
Cool photos of microbats! Thanks for posting! Other than at Carlsbad, the number of microbats I've seen in one location has only been small; a couple of hundred at the most.

---------- Post added 19-03-18 at 01:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Thanks for the info. They are neat critters. I've been thinking of hanging a bat house. I think I should go for it and see if I can setup to catch them at dusk.
I've seen some amazing photos of microbats bats leaving a roost, where an infra-red beam has been used to trigger the camera. I don't know if the "catch in focus" feature on Pentax cameras could be used in a similar way.
03-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #8
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

West and Central Texas has lots of bat colonies that live under the Interstate overpasses. Messy though but cool when they fly out at dusk.

03-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Cool photos of microbats! Thanks for posting! Other than at Carlsbad, the number of microbats I've seen in one location has only been small; a couple of hundred at the most.

Each evening a stream of Asian wrinkle-lipped bats (Chaerephon plicatus) leave the caves taking well over twenty minutes to emerge.Estimates of the numbers vary from the 10s to 100s of thousands,(locals put the figure close to a million but that may be to boost tourist numbers!)

03-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
West and Central Texas has lots of bat colonies that live under the Interstate overpasses. Messy though but cool when they fly out at dusk.
Cool! I've never seen that!

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Each evening a stream of Asian wrinkle-lipped bats (Chaerephon plicatus) leave the caves taking well over twenty minutes to emerge.Estimates of the numbers vary from the 10s to 100s of thousands,(locals put the figure close to a million but that may be to boost tourist numbers!)
That's a lot of bats! There's a large colony of microbats at Carlsbad Caverns in the USA - you can watch the bats leaving the natural cave entrance in the evening. That's certainly the largest exodus of microbats I've personally seen. I've no doubt that there's bigger colonies such as that one above! There's a large-ish colony on a hill in central Queensland, which I've seen on TV, but as it's a nature reserve, I haven't seen it in person.