Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 100 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2018, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single In - April, 2018

Welcome everyone to the Single In April 2018 Challenge!

Theme days - new ones in RED:

Saturday, 7th April: DUPLICATES (multiple exposure, repeated elements, etc.)

Saturday,14th April: PERSPECTIVE

Saturday, 21st April: B/SELFIES

Saturday, 28th April: GOLDEN HOUR

Aim of the Game:To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these won’t be eligible for this Challenge).

NEW THIS MONTH: As in the "Daily In" challenge, if you shoot film, you can post your film shot for the day, according to the day you scan your image. The approximate date when the image was exposed would be appreciated. And, of course, you must use the SAME SINGLE IN LENS, film or digital, as indicated above. This is a one-month experiment; we'll see how it goes, and what the group thinks going forward. Comments and feedback appreciated.

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and with regular commenting, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun. You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographer’s parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).

This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. The FAQ - Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Video below was created by patjp

Last edited by babywriter; 02-22-2019 at 05:40 AM.
03-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will be following with rapt attention.
03-25-2018, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

..in..

probably with t.s.o.p.....
03-25-2018, 06:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
..in..

probably with t.s.o.p.....
Interesting! I have one of those, and haven't really used it for a while. Wonder how many Pentax-A 35-105s are out there? Maybe we could make it a thing this month.

03-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
Interesting! I have one of those, and haven't really used it for a while. Wonder how many Pentax-A 35-105s are out there? Maybe we could make it a thing this month.

I'm pretty sure there's a new one in our midst...
03-25-2018, 07:05 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
I just got a copy earlier in the month and I'm excited to put it to the test! Let's go, team!

03-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

there's three...

03-25-2018, 11:18 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm in, having too much fun with my new K-1 and the new FOV for my little lens collection. I just don't know which to pick as yet. Leaning towards the 31 which has always been my least like Limited but now getting reevaluated in a much more positive light or something a bit off the wall like the K55/1.8. Then again, perhaps the versatility of the A50/1.2 might be fun (I say that not having yet taken a f/1.2 on the K-1 yet )
03-25-2018, 11:27 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in. Try to do the whole year, if I just have stamina for it. M200/4 booked for April.
03-26-2018, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I'm in, having too much fun with my new K-1 and the new FOV for my little lens collection.
Do the 31!!

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
M200/4 booked for April.
I'm really interested in what you do with it! I have a nice copy of this lens, and my Flickr album for its images is one of my most viewed (even though I really have nothing spectacular in there). Definitely one I need to get on my Single in Schedule. I need to stop buying so many new lenses! :-) Haha!
03-26-2018, 04:34 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Do the 31!!
That's pretty definite, may I ask why?
03-26-2018, 04:40 AM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm really interested in what you do with it! I have a nice copy of this lens, and my Flickr album for its images is one of my most viewed (even though I really have nothing spectacular in there). Definitely one I need to get on my Single in Schedule. I need to stop buying so many new lenses! :-) Haha!

I have a copy of the A200/4 that needs to be Singled.... maybe for May...
03-26-2018, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
That's pretty definite, may I ask why?
Because you say it's your least liked, AND because I like wide-angle lenses. I don't know how long you've had the K-1 or what you've used on it, but wide-angle lenses on the full frame format are pretty great! Having said that, I am really looking forward to getting away from the 28mm I've been using for all of March...

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
maybe for May...
Let's synchronize our watches.
03-26-2018, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #14
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

And now you have one viewer more. Some really nice shots there

My 200 has seen relatively little use, as I bought M*300 soon after and it has been my favored long lens despite the weight. Nice to take it out of the closet and put it thru the month.
03-26-2018, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Because you say it's your least liked, AND because I like wide-angle lenses. I don't know how long you've had the K-1 or what you've used on it, but wide-angle lenses on the full frame format are pretty great! Having said that, I am really looking forward to getting away from the 28mm I've been using for all of March...
I will have the K-1 3 weeks on Thursday, so barely getting to know it yet. 31 it is then.