Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 100 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2018, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I made a promise to myself (and also to my husband, but that's less binding since his interest is extremely limited) to stop half-assing my daily photos. This is a nice lens and I haven't done it justice at all with a month of (mostly) safety shots. Keeping in the game has been one triumph, but I feel like I've fallen out of touch with "seeing" things like I used to and I need to be more mindful of light and shapes and textures... I also need to psyche myself up to get out in the world and do weird stuff to get photos again. Even just walking down Johnson Drive today, mostly abandoned on a Sunday afternoon, I felt pretty self-conscious, and that's not usually me.

I've decided Hudler is enough of a big boy to stay in his kennel all day while we're at work, so walking at lunch time is a good option (if I change out of my heels). Get ready to see a lot of the Plaza!

The perennial question of motivation: Who has some tips to get me revved up again?? I mean, besides the fabulous camaraderie of Single In and the joyous satisfaction of completing a month of daily photos...

04-22-2018, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
The perennial question of motivation: Who has some tips to get me revved up again?? I mean, besides the fabulous camaraderie of Single In and the joyous satisfaction of completing a month of daily photos...
Don't ask me - I've been in the doldrums for months
04-22-2018, 07:04 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could move to a place that is tremendously unphotogenic, with a very restrictive policy on photography. After 6 months of that, you will be very inspired, trust me. Fortunately, that ends 1 May if all goes well.

Go to Weston Brewing Company, to the undrground pub, take pictures of the band and the bar crowd. Stay at te inn there, then Get up early and catch sunrise at the bridge over the river.

Go to the carousel museum in Leavenworth, take long esposures as the carousels spin.
04-22-2018, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #79
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I start with the mundane of my life and shoot it from a different perspective - some days, that's all I'll have, but it keeps me moving forward...

take a day trip to the next town and shoot their city square - go in a different direction and see something you haven't seen before; get a tourist's map and see the sights elsewhere...

04-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I start with the mundane of my life and shoot it from a different perspective - some days, that's all I'll have, but it keeps me moving forward...
It's a pity I can't comment on your images in Flickr. For what it's worth, both of your Day 22 images are stunning.
04-23-2018, 01:02 AM - 3 Likes   #81
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, you could buy a lot of new lenses to shoot. Then decide to shoot them first in APSC mode before you allow yourself to attach it to K1. Then as you get desperate to reach K1 ASAP, you might create a nice Excel with colors and shooting plan for the lenses. So far it's worked for me.

Sorry about the language. Green color means that I own it and I've shot a month with it.

EDIT: As you can notice, I've been eager and confident and painted "huhtikuu" already green for this month with M200/4.

Last edited by iheiramo; 04-23-2018 at 01:11 AM.
04-23-2018, 04:42 AM - 3 Likes   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Well, you could buy a lot of new lenses to shoot. Then decide to shoot them first in APSC mode before you allow yourself to attach it to K1. Then as you get desperate to reach K1 ASAP, you might create a nice Excel with colors and shooting plan for the lenses. So far it's worked for me.
Haha! This is wonderful. Good work! ^_^

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Traveling to neighboring towns to see new sights sounds ideal, but those seem like special occasion, or weekend plans. I work 5 days a week and don't get home until 6PM. I'm an old lady now and need to be in bed no later than 11, plus there's cooking dinner and tending to the children (furry, four-legged children). I am going to have to be a little ingenious about staying close to home...

I think I will sit down and make a chart, anyway. That sounds pretty fun to me!

Fun news: My selfie made Explore and I'm pleased, not because I think I look great or deserve the celebrity, but because it's PENTAX K-1 front and center. ^_^

04-23-2018, 05:24 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fun news: My selfie made Explore and I'm pleased, not because I think I look great or deserve the celebrity, but because it's PENTAX K-1 front and center.
Well done! Its a great shot, definitely interesting.
04-23-2018, 06:47 PM - 3 Likes   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm getting a film roll developed tomorrow, and that should keep me in "single in" shots for most of the rest of the month - I hope. We'll see if the newly acquired Sears KS-2 (a rebranded Ricoh XR-7) has what it takes. It's definitely been a delight to handle so far.

Hoping to get back into commenting tomorrow. I'll get the May 'Single In' thread started, too, so that iheiramo can put his lens spreadsheet to good use.
04-24-2018, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #85
Pentaxian

The end of the month is likely to be a bit patchy for me as I have a mountain of marking (grading) to do which will get in the way of having fun. I missed today, and just posted yesterday's!

I do, however, fly to Valencia on the 2nd May for a conference which ought to be fun. Which lens though? Decisions, decisions...
04-25-2018, 02:56 AM - 2 Likes   #86
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

my sunset at the pond shot hit explore last night...
04-25-2018, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
my sunset at the pond shot hit explore last night...
Congrats!

---------- Post added 04-25-18 at 08:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
NEW THIS MONTH: As in the "Daily In" challenge, if you shoot film, you can post your film shot for the day, according to the day you scan your image. The approximate date when the image was exposed would be appreciated. And, of course, you must use the SAME SINGLE IN LENS, film or digital, as indicated above. This is a one-month experiment; we'll see how it goes, and what the group thinks going forward. Comments and feedback appreciated.
So, how are you all feeling about this? Comments/thoughts/feedback? I'm inclined to keep it unless there are strong feelings against it. Let me know.
04-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #88
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So, how are you all feeling about this? Comments/thoughts/feedback? I'm inclined to keep it unless there are strong feelings against it. Let me know.
I don't have any film gear, so doesn't affect me either way. It sounds like a good thing and can't see any harm in it, so I'm in favor to keep it.
04-25-2018, 06:53 PM - 4 Likes   #89
Veteran Member

So you can take all your shots in the first few days of the month, then just scan them in one by one?

My feedback, neither right nor wrong:

I suppose I'm a huge snob for digital regardless, but it doesn't seem like this rule is exactly in line with the spirit of Single In. The way I play and understand the game, it isn't just to make 30 images with a lens, but to shoot daily with that lens. I have nearly 10,000 images on Flickr. I could play for years without taking a single shot in that time. I could go around the house this evening and snap up a dozen more images to pick and choose from to post through the end of the month, and there are players who edit their exif data even more dramatically than they PP their photos, but I feel like that's missing the mark...

All that being said, ultimately: I don't care.

This isn't a competition and no one loses if another person "cheats". I think more camaraderie is engendered by struggling through the daily intensity of it together, and the satisfaction of the game is diluted by making a month's worth of shots in one, or a few, big bites. I'm not perfect and I've not been able to post my images daily, but I play catch up and I do shoot every day. In the end, it's the individual playing that decides what level of participation will satisfy them.

I feel like if someone is going to use film for the Single In, they still need to take daily shots. Some cameras can date stamp (even though that's kinda tacky, depending on who you ask), or, keeping notes of what frame was exposed on which day isn't rocket science. Then, play catch up per roll. If you expose three frames a day, you'll burn through a 24-frame roll in 8 days - that's not unreasonable, and I think we've had someone play that way with film in the past. I think it worked out okay...
04-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am 100% with Sara.