View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-15-2018, 05:31 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A photo found in the attic

Thought I'd give this one a go whilst my computer's playing nice.

Tas
04-16-2018, 02:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you to all the entrants!

I’ll call this one to a close now and get on with the difficult task of picking a winner from the wonderful diverse interpretations.

I’ll post the results this evening UK time!

John
04-16-2018, 01:21 PM - 4 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A really tough decision here. I think there are hundreds of ways to approach this image, which isn't the easiest to deal with. A busy interior and different lighting temperatures create a perfect storm when trying to process the image (as I have found).

It is very tough to pick a winner! A few comments on some of the entries that I especially liked:

BigMackCam - Love the restrained palette here, one of my favourite treatments, even the TV shape worked OK here, given the echo of the mouldings.
Glenn5995 - Love the concentration on the marble and the toning here
JHfwp - a very natural looking process, well done.
LarsW - beautifully balanced and structured monochrome
johnkrumm - love the colours even if the crop felt a little wrong to me.
D1N0 - Maybe the nicest treatment of the colours, the mirror effect is done perfectly too. Well done.
astonm - nice work, love the removal of the barriers and the fire
dlneubec - exactly how I felt after editing my version!
jcomley - Very classic HDR looking
Tas - nice vintage process!

Overall, picking the final ranking from the line up is tough - but I will name:

Joint Third- D1N0 / BigMacCam
Runner Up - JHfwp
Winner- LarsW with his crisp monochrome rendition

So..... LarsW has the honour of hosting PP Challenge #256. Well done!

As is traditional, Here are my own versions. Not sure I nailed it myself, but I know from my own tries it is a time consuming and difficult image to work on - so well done to all the entrants, and roll on PP Challenge #256!

John

Last edited by johnc; 04-16-2018 at 01:26 PM.
04-16-2018, 01:34 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to @johnc for a lovely image to work with and much appreciated comments!

Some great entries for this one... I enjoyed all of them (as I always do when participating).

Well done to my podium colleagues, and @LarsW as the well-deserving winner
04-16-2018, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #21

Thank you, :-) I didn't expect that with that good competition. I'll set up something in the next few days.
04-16-2018, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Nice job everyone; including yourself, johnc. Thank you for hosting and providing a fun photo for us to play with.

And of course, congrats LarsW for your excellent work!

04-17-2018, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats Lars, great pic john!
04-19-2018, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I like being the "invisible man" , it seems that mine along with Uncle Vanya's and others has been excluded? Not that it makes any difference. I counted 15 entries, and only 10 mentioned in the judging?
04-19-2018, 02:07 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
While I like being the "invisible man" , it seems that mine along with Uncle Vanya's and others has been excluded? Not that it makes any difference. I counted 15 entries, and only 10 mentioned in the judging?
Some entries were so good that the OP was speechless...
04-19-2018, 02:33 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So glad for smileys.... Don't fret @noelcmn !! We all love you too. It can really be a bit overwhelming sometimes, and confusing if you're going down the list of all the entries. Especially if it's your first time or so around at being the host/judge.

I actually remember a time when it was just "drumroll, tada... and the winner is...." and we didn't really have much of the constructive critique factor at all. It just sort of "evolved" as a courtesy. One that I personally enjoy, because this is all in fun, and I really enjoy playing around in PS - getting the chance to hone a few skills I don't normally use in my day-to-day picture processing, and getting to work on some subjects I have no way of ever producing. (ok, and the voyeuristic factor of digging around in others' photos is kinda fun too... )

Haha... be careful what you wish for... one day you'll win and have 37 entries to look over.....
04-20-2018, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Plain and simple, I picked on a few to comment on, not all. I was careful to thank everyone for submitting their photos - I not only enjoyed seeing every picture, I also considered every entry carefully in the judging.

Hosting and judging the contest takes time and even the judging and closing post takes a couple of hours to do and compose - I simply didn’t have time to do comments for everyone owing to unavoidable travel commitments and didn’t want to delay the results.

Apologies to anyone who didn’t get a personal comment, but I trust you’ll understand!

By the way- I think just announcing the winner is fine if that’s all the judge wants to do as well. Anything more is beyond the call of duty!

John

Last edited by johnc; 04-20-2018 at 03:42 AM.
04-20-2018, 03:47 AM   #28
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
Hosting and judging the contest takes time and even the judging and closing post takes a couple of hours to do and compose - I simply didn’t have time to do comments for everyone owing to unavoidable travel commitments and didn’t want to delay the results.
This is why when I've hosted I've chosen to start the review process earlier by creating a word doc with the feedback comments. I would then visit the thread every couple of days, add new reviews, save it and so on. This isn't necessarily any quicker, but as it spreads out the commitment over the entire week it ends up being 5-10 min blocks a few times a week and therefore less of a burden when it's time to close the challenge.

When you host again it might be worth giving that approach a try.

Tas
04-20-2018, 04:23 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tas - I not only kept running notes, but I also downloaded every item during the week for offline comparison on a calibrated screen. A busy week for me for other (offline) reasons but I gave this some priority. Someone else might not have had the amount of time that I saved for this and might approach it differently - but that’s ok with me.

I think we should not put members off entering and hosting by setting too rigid a rule about how much feedback should be given in the final post. As I said before - anything more than naming the winner is a bonus as far as I am concerned.

That said I’m very happy to go with a consensus view on what’s required on future contests, and looking forward to the next one.

QuoteOriginally posted by astonm Quote
I actually remember a time when it was just "drumroll, tada... and the winner is...." and we didn't really have much of the constructive critique factor at all.
Last time I hosted (way back in the 150’s I think) there used to be a separate thread for the winners announcement and the inevitable discussion! Now those were the days

John

Last edited by johnc; 04-20-2018 at 04:50 AM.
04-20-2018, 05:09 AM   #30
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
Tas - I not only kept running notes, but I also downloaded every item during the week for offline comparison on a calibrated screen. A busy week for me for other (offline) reasons but I gave this some priority. Someone else might not have had the amount of time that I saved for this and might approach it differently - but that’s ok with me.

I think we should not put members off entering and hosting by setting too rigid a rule about how much feedback should be given in the final post. As I said before - anything more than naming the winner is a bonus as far as I am concerned.

That said I’m very happy to go with a consensus view on what’s required on future contests, and looking forward to the next one.

John

---------- Post added 04-20-18 at 12:48 PM ----------

Last time I hosted (way back in the 150’s I think) there used to be a separate thread for the winners announcement and the inevitable discussion! Now those were the days
John, my comment was not a criticism, I was sharing my approach as I like to give feedback on how my challenge image was interpreted and processed by people doing the challenge.

And I find doing feedback in one go a pain in the proverbial, so when I saw your comment I decided to share what I do to manage it.

But my approach is my choice and I was not casting dispersions on what you chose to do as everyone here has a life outside of the forums and it would be inappropriate to criticise when people host in a style different to mine. Hence I don't.

Tas