Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 06:21 AM - 3 Likes   #1

The adventures of a K1 in colorfull villages, 1st part: kampung Merah Putih

Kampung Merah Putih ? What is that stuff ?
It's a real colorfull village, part of city of Tual in Kei Kecil...

heeeh?

Kei Kecil is an Indonesian island of Maluku archipelago... I already can see some that don't follow my geographical course... Maluku is west of Indonesia and was famous for the fights beetween Europeans during the 16th century, they were the home of clove and nutmeg, costing more than gold at that time (little amazing note: Maluku's little island of the name of Banda Neira as been exchanged, with some gold as bonus from the Dutch, by the British to the Dutch against a little north american place called Manhattan...maybe you already know the place), Kei Kecil is not really a remote place such as you have so many in Indonesia, it has an airport with 3 flights a day from Ambon and is situated in south Maluku, beetween Autralia and Occidental Papua (former Irian Jaya). You don't need to go on google maps as they are not up to date for these colorfull vilages.

(1) Let's begin the trip with a "selamat pagi !" ("hello" in bahasa indonesia) situated in beetween the two vilages I will be speaking of (second vilage will be in another post):

(2) Just the time to shoot a few selfies with the girls and let's get inside this 1st vilage: kampung Merah Putih, let's follow the guide :

Why this name of kampung Merah Putih ? It means red and white vilage, the colors of the Indonesian flag. Inhabitants of Maluku islands love colors (it's the second time I checked it) and these ones even had some young Javanese painters coming to help them for portraits of their families or of national heroes

(3) another "selamat pagi" (remember?), the black and white portrait is the one of the died grandfather:

(4) Some inhabitants fear the monstruous K1:

(5) some are even defending themselves from the color thief !

Just the time to upload some other pictures and I meet you back in kampung Merah Putih, frédo

04-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fredo Quote
Maluku is west of Indonesia
you mean Melanesië, Maluku is between Sulawesi, Papua and Timur
04-15-2018, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #3

Original Poster
yes Franc,you're right, I meant East Indonesia.
But let's go back to kampung Merah Putih, the fishermen vilage is not only colorfull but also quiet and friendly (6)

(7)

(8) children are coming back from school...

(9) ... to go painting and fishing

Behind Merah Putih, we can see the town of Tual and its harbour (10)

That's all for today but soon I will go on with another colorfull vilage, its neighbour, the aptly named kampung Pelangi (11). Have a nice day, frédo

04-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great pictures.

In general places with less structure tend to have more photo opportunities. Their dresses are not color coded and that makes for good photo.

04-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was young I was fascinated by the history of Tidore and Ternate, reading whatever I could find in local libraries in English, and spending many hours poring over atlases. I often wondered what daily life was like in this part of the world - thank you for these fine pics fredo. Maybe one day I'll get there to see for myself !
04-21-2018, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
at rjbrett: you are not that far away from Ternate and Tidore, eventhough you may have to go through Jakarta or Bali... you can throw an eye

(this picture is from the market of Ternate and not issued from a Pentax but a from a little Canon S95) on my galery: galerie à frédo/Ternate and galerie à frédo/Tidore, but if you get there be aware of the sound level ! You should have an idea of the problem opening the videos, if you support over 1000W sound systems, then try to find the friendly and funny driver called Rudy

you can also stay on Pentax forums and have a look at the second part about the colorfull rivals of Tual

Have a nice day (Paris is hot and sunny these days), frédo