Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2018, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Daily in May 2018 - Discussion Thread

Welcome to the "Daily in" May 2018 Challenge (aka DIC) here at Pentax Forums!

Aim of the Game: Shoot daily and post one picture each day of the month to this group challenge using any camera gear you want. Our desire when starting this challenge was to be similar in culture to the popular "Single In" Challenge (aka SI or SIC) here at Pentax Forums, while instead being able to use any lens/gear we want each and any day of the month.

There is no limitation to what camera gear you use for this challenge.

Additionally for film shooters, you can post your film shot for the day according to the day you scan your image, if you want. We just ask that you also note the approximate date when the image was exposed, if possible. And of course any gear, film type and exposure setting details you might be able to provide are always appreciated.

Commenting: Posting our pictures to the daily threads for the month allows other participants to view and comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on the pictures posted by the other members as well. Please don’t be shy, even if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie. Your personal reactions to photographs are just as valid as any. We aim to be a friendly group and with regular commenting, we’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: Daily shooting and sharing is great fun and a real challenge! As with the Single In Challenge, you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected gear which will sometimes be the same gear you’ve chosen for that day. In the comment banter you’re likely to pick up some photographic tips and ideas too. As the month progresses it can become quite demanding to keep shooting and posting every day (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA and GAS? Sorry, this game won’t help you!

Note: This 'Daily Challenge' started in January 2016 when a few regular members of the 'Single In Challenge' wanted to have a similar daily shooting/posting challenge format and interactive culture with the key difference of being able to switch the gear up during the month whenever desired. That said, if you're here considering whether or not to join the Daily Challenge for a month and haven't yet tried a month of the Single In Challenge, we enthusiastically encourage you to try one... Simply put, spending a whole month shooting daily and sharing with the same lens is a great way to get to know your gear.

How to participate:

1. Join the Group to be able to post pictures to the daily threads; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Daily Challenge (By Month)”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join the group.

2. Store your pictures in an on-line album somewhere. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, etc. Flickr is the most commonly used host, and makes it easiest for others to comment on your pictures.

3. Post your daily image into the daily picture thread in the Daily Challenge (By Month) group page. That image should link to where your image is hosted, so members can follow that link and comment on your images. That's it!

More notes:
** Some of us may be participating in both the Daily Challenge and the Single In challenges for the current month. When this is the case, please post a different image to each challenge for the same day.

** If you are going to be linking to your images in a Pentax Forum album, just ask for advice below if needed.

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture at flickr.com and a window will open displaying the BB code. Select the 1024px size, then copy and paste the BB code into the Daily Challenge (By Month) group page in the Pentax Forum.

** If you're a Flickr member, here is the Flickr group to join: Daily Challenges (Pentax Forums)
Please remember to add your posted images to this Flickr group.

Each day you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow in the Daily Challenge (By Month) group page. By clicking on each picture in the daily thread you should be redirected to the photographer’s image page wherever it's hosted and there you will be able to add a comment and read/interact with those of others.

When you post your picture each day to the daily thread, in your post and/or on the linked photo page, please specify the camera/lens combination with your picture eg 'K5 & DA15 Ltd'. This makes it easy and helpful for others to note what gear you’re using. This is especially helpful for this Daily Challenge where our chosen lenses and/or cameras for each day may be changing frequently.

The thread you’re reading now is the 'Discussion Thread' for Game > Daily In May 2018 Challenge. It's is a separate discussion thread from the picture posting thread referred to above, so you’ll probably want to subscribe to this discussion thread here as well to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with other Challenge members. It’s the place to ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

** If you've been shooting daily pictures during the challenge month but have been away from the internet or have been too busy to post and want to back post your images to the daily threads for the month, please go for it. It is recommended in this case to also come back to the monthly thread here and post a comment to let the group know and provide some details to inspire us to visit your images.

This FAQ (made by Zorglub) may be helpful to understand the challenge process. It was created for the Single In Challenge so everything there also applies to this Daily Challenge except for the obvious key and major difference that this daily challenge is not bound to the use of one Single lens for the month.

There is no limitation to what camera gear you use for this challenge. Anything goes!

Here we go! It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss any days, don’t worry about it. Just keep shooting! If you have any problems, please ask. Come and try!

THEMES: The "Suggestion Box" for themes is now closed. The final themes/dates are:

May 1 to May 6 Yellow
May 7 to May 13 Geometry: straight lines & angles
May 14 to May 20 Shades of Grey
May 21 to May 27 Plants (think broadly - could range from tree-scape to flower ultra-macro)
May 28 to May 31 Brenizer

Who's in?

Last edited by OzzRod; 04-29-2018 at 10:30 PM.
04-27-2018, 12:49 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Yo Zaa!

I'm gonna jump in. My child is little bigger, so I have little more energy and time...how ever it might be that I get more busy, but that is life.
04-27-2018, 02:56 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

....IN!
04-27-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I miss lots of days, so lets say I am 3/4 in =)

04-27-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will be home soon, I will participate.
04-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think I'll be in, I'll aim for 3 months in a row and see how it goes. Maybe the weather will be better in May!
04-28-2018, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #7

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
So I am willing to try again. I've acquired some new bits and pieces and I need to get practising with them. I bought a 1.4 rear converter to go with my DA*300mm and then this week a odd branded but fully functional manual 2X converter came my way for the princely some of $20. It was too good to pass up. Anyway I need to work on being able to use both.

04-28-2018, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Feel the need to jump back in for May, on a stag do in the middle in sunny Tenerife but I'm confident I can get pics on my phone in the down time between drinking!

On the subject of phones, I was away last weekend and relied on my phone camera rather than take the DSLR through Ryanair's restrictive baggage policy. Was pleasantly surprised with the quality, can even shoot in raw by using third party apps.

04-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm in
04-28-2018, 11:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in also. I shot a thousand or so pictures on a student trip winding from Scotland to London and then to Paris at the beginning of the month, then a couple hundred for a prom at the HS where my wife teaches. So most of my non work time for the last few weeks has been spent in post processing instead of shooting. But the prom pictures were delivered and I actually went out shooting today.
04-29-2018, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
*** Themes for May ***

In the absence of any other suggestions I'd like to nominate the following.

May 1 to May 6 Plants
May 7 to May 13 Yellow
May 14 to May 20 Geometry: straight lines & angles
May 21 to May 27 Shades of Grey
May 28 to May 31 Brenizer

It's not too late to nominate alternatives - feel free! And, as usual, the themes are not compulsory.

EDIT: The ordering of the themes has been revised. The final theme listing for May is shown in Posts #1 and #19

Last edited by OzzRod; 04-29-2018 at 10:32 PM.
04-29-2018, 03:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Those look good, the brenizer one in particular should be interesting.

04-29-2018, 03:55 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in as usual. Though the thought of Brenizer is daunting!
04-29-2018, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
I'm in as usual. Though the thought of Brenizer is daunting!
Fairly easy, great fun and I was thinking of collating some basic tips closer to the date.
04-29-2018, 07:15 AM   #15
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in. It might be time to get to know the in-camera raw converter better. I'll increasingly stay more at the cabin the next months and I'm not too happy with the results I get from editing on the laptop. I'll make an attempt at getting the screen calibrated, though, which might help somewhat.

Oh, and the themes look good to me. Never tried Brenizer - should be fun, although I think I'll prefer to stitch them together at home