Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2018, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Post Processing Challenge #257 - Hood Canal Bridge

Thanks Lars for picking me in #256. I was hoping to get out for some brand new pictures for #257, but that didn't happen, so I'll leave you with this one from last month's trip up the Olympic Peninsula here in Washington State. It's a rather gloomy shot (as expected here in the PNW) of the Hood Canal Floating Bridge with some additional... uh ... "foreground interest" to mix stuff up a bit. Don't think we've had any car shots in a while.

Pic really needs a bit of love - so have at it folks! Let's give this a week, ending the night of May 8th (Seattle time). Have fun with it, make it pretty, and of course - mulitple entries always welcome.

Link to PP #257 DNG

A note to the winner: Please copy and post this info into the next challenge.

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-01-2018, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Godzilla and then some edits

05-03-2018, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Hood Canal Bridge

I got rid of some of the clutter and a black and white conversion on the background.

Tuggie76
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by tuggie76; 05-07-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Straightened image
05-05-2018, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Albums
First Attempt

Attached Images

05-06-2018, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
Straight up version
Attached Images

05-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photoshop won't open the file.
05-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Time to end this one. Not many entries this time... I hope everyone is out taking pictures instead of staring at their computers

Here's my thoughts:

D1N0: godzilla - yes! That would totally make an awesome graphic for the side of the car. Love it. (hmmm... wondering what adding some "red laser eye beams" would look like ??)

jcomley: your use of that HDR-ish efffect really brought out the textures. The wet ground around here can really look like that in bright overcast directly after the rain. I might have masked the car off a bit and appied the effect a little less to the blue paint - but it did succeed in brightening up the car quite well.

tuggie76: your b&w really brought out the gloom of the day - The car was a bit dark in the original, and going with the color-pop seems to have gotten past that. I also appreciate your efforts digging in and getting rid of the bench and sign. Good job of "stealing" it from the site - I hope the parks department doesn't come after you

dlneubec: #1 the bright colors really changed the whole mood of the scene. These artistic conversions are always fun to play with, and make for a good comparison.

dlneubec: #2 very nice "straight" process. There really is a lot going on in the photo, and sometimes it's hard to balance the processing to match all of the elements ( and imperfections!) in the photo. Very nice job.

I'm giving the the winner this round to TUGGIE76 - for rolling up his sleeves and really digging around with varying techniques to produce a very moody version of the photo. (Runner up with be dlneubec for his #2 entry)

Thanks guys!
05-09-2018, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks astonm, first time I've won a photo comp!

So I've created a file on Mediafire called PP Challenge 258. This is the link.

My Files

---------- Post added 05-09-18 at 04:50 PM ----------

Well, it links but doesn't seem to open. I'll try in a few minutes.

05-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Congrats Tuggie and Thanks for the file Astonm. I always like to work on cars.
05-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I always like to work on cars
LOL.... oh yeah? that blue beastie needs rear brakes & and oil change - come on over ! oh... wait... you meant photoshop. "nevermind" Fine - I'll do it myself. haha. (if only real wrenching were as easy to clean up as PS!)
05-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

New challenge spam since the previous one had only two entries: Challenge #259 Railway bridge Groningen - PentaxForums.com