Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mblanc Quote
Sorry, I meant a stationary bee:

---------- Post added 06-07-2018 at 02:52 PM ----------

And a moving seagull
Good shots, especially the gulls. Does it seem as if the gull who's on the water has something around its neck, a stricture of some kind?

06-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lmcfarrin Quote
Small backyard birds are too fast and too unpredictable to use af.
You just collectively blew the minds of a lot of people.

Too fast for AF?! I can almost hear the collective "What do you mean?! That does not compute!" in my head right now.
06-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote

Too fast for AF?! I can almost hear the collective "What do you mean?! That does not compute!" in my head right now.
I can relate, I have missed a lot of moving subjects trying to let the AF do it.

I have been shooting MF for over 40 years so I am not in the "learning something new" category, but every day is a new day. This is the K20D with a K 50mm f/1.8.

06-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
I can relate, I have missed a lot of moving subjects trying to let the AF do it.

I have been shooting MF for over 40 years so I am not in the "learning something new" category, but every day is a new day. This is the K20D with a K 50mm f/1.8.
Nice pic!

Manual focus is a required skill in my opinion for any serious photographer. At some point and in some situations AF becomes a liability not a help.

06-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice pic!

Manual focus is a required skill in my opinion for any serious photographer. At some point and in some situations AF becomes a liability not a help.
Thanks!
06-20-2018, 06:42 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

I started taking photos when I was ten years old, using a twin-lens-reflex camera given to me by my uncle, and from there went to all-manual film SLRs, so when I joined the digital age where auto functions were the default, it took quite a lot of practice to become used to that. Even so, I'm more at home with manual shooting, and my favorite lenses are three legacy ones (they're in my signature). For my entries, therefore, I've chosen two from my collection of legacy lens shots.

Stationary Category: Autumn Colors in a Big-Toothed Aspen Leaf SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 - Shot handheld at 1/30s and f/8

Movement Category: Take-Off! SMC Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5 - Shot handheld at 1/500s and f/8

Others have mentioned important tips on shooting manual, to which I can only add that I agree that pre-focusing is critical for movement shots. Also, if shooting completely manual -- not just focus, but also with manually chosen exposure settings -- pick a default aperture that suits your anticipated subject, ie,wide-open for limited depth of field, and tight for deep deep depth of field. I put my manual lenses on f/8 by default for a compromise in depth of field and sharpness to the picture edges and corners, then alter the aperture if necessary before clicking the shutter.

Last edited by Tamia; 06-20-2018 at 06:49 AM.
06-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

What I mean by too fast for AF is;

From my experience, if you want to capture small birds that do not fly in a rhytmic/trackable pattern, and capture numerous unique perspectives (head on, underneath, over the top, from behind, to include purposely accounting for whats in the background) you HAVE NO CHOICE but to use manual focus. If you try to use AF - the birds are too small, too fast, and too unpredictable to use human reaction to lift your camera and catch them in mid flight. You may be able to catch them at the nearest point to and from a feeder or tree limb, but all your shots will display similar perspectives. To get the underneath, head on, over the top shots and purposely account for the background = MF. There is an e-book worth more that goes into capturing these types of shots, but if you think can react to their movement and activate AF, the small birds travel at about 14 to 20 feet a second so you'll never have time to track them and take the shot or if you get the shot the bird will be so tiny in the image the image will be unusable. Ive posted an example accounting for what i mentioned...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M3  Photo 

Last edited by Lmcfarrin; 06-20-2018 at 07:14 PM.
06-20-2018, 07:23 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lmcfarrin Quote
What I mean by too fast for AF is;

From my experience, if you want to capture small birds that do not fly in a rhytmic/trackable pattern, and capture numerous unique perspectives (head on, underneath, over the top, from behind, to include purposely accounting for whats in the background) you HAVE NO CHOICE but to use manual focus. If you try to use AF - the birds are too small, too fast, and too unpredictable to use human reaction to lift your camera and catch them in mid flight. You may be able to catch them at the nearest point to and from a feeder or tree limb, but all your shots will display similar perspectives. To get the underneath, head on, over the top shots and purposely account for the background = MF. There is an e-book worth more that goes into capturing these types of shots, but if you think can react to their movement and activate AF, the small birds travel at about 14 to 20 feet a second so you'll never have time to track them and take the shot or if you get the shot the bird will be so tiny in the image the image will be unusable. Ive posted an example accounting for what i mentioned...
Oh I get it. Believe me.

Great post. Excellent example.

I was referring to a lot of the other posters on the forum who are constantly talking about AF and sometimes knocking their gear when in reality the problem is themselves. Sometimes I think they forget (or never knew) that manual focus in some situations is SUPERIOR for action shots than even the best auto focus out there.

06-21-2018, 01:49 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I was referring to a lot of the other posters on the forum who are constantly talking about AF and sometimes knocking their gear when in reality the problem is themselves. Sometimes I think they forget (or never knew) that manual focus in some situations is SUPERIOR for action shots than even the best auto focus out there.

Definitely. There are still lots of times when the old-fashioned manual techniques of focus trapping or follow focus will beat even the best AF.

Back in the days before autofocus existed, we didn't have a choice. People who practiced and took lots of photos were able to get to a point where manual focus became an almost unconscious process of pure muscle memory. And people who didn't practice enough took lots of out-of-focus photos.

For people who have only ever owned cameras capable of autofocus, it must take a heck of a lot of persistence to force themselves to take the thousands of manual focus shots necessary to get really good at it. I genuinely don't think that I would have made all that effort if I hadn't been forced to use manual focus for so long because there was no other choice.
06-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So far there are excellent pictures posted. Please let's promote this thread. Share more. Feel free to post away.

If you've already posted up, post more. If you haven't posted yet, get to it!

Please help me to promote and/or bump and/or discuss this thread more, particularly during peak periods. I'm not always able to be online so any help will be appreciated.

Just about two weeks left for the 'contest'. By all means share away.

That said, rule change: Unlimited entries. Same rules as before, but you can post and enter more than one time.
06-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Blue Jay in flight:

Olympus OMD EM5 with Pentax 40mm Limited
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M5  Photo 
06-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter