Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 82 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 07:04 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yesterday I was out with the DA 55-300 palm and the DA* 200

DA 55-300

DA*200

My personal favourite image of the day was taken with the DA*200, but it was my favorite because of the lighting and probably would have been the same with either. The first image in this post is probably the sharpest image of the day, even though the DA*200 should be sharper, although maybe not at 200mm.

I have 9 keepers from yesterday 5 prime and 4 zoom. The zoom can't do the ƒ3.5 bokeh as it's 6.3 in the long end, but in the first image, I got more detail at 300mm than I'd have with the 200 and enlarging. I like to take both and see what works best. The zoom images are taken, two at 300mm, 230mm and 150 mm. These orchids are wild and delicate, and you really don't want to disturb them, so being able to stay at one spot and zoom, is definitely the ecological way to go. But in my favourite shot, there would be nothing to do to match the smoothness of that 3.2 bokeh, using the zoom. But I probably could have matched it with the DA*60-250.

And I sure wish I'd had the 60-250 with the 1.4 on it for this one, but, you can't carry everything and the DA 55-300 did well. I went to get the Orchid images, but there was bird chirping away on a bush, and having small easy to carry lens like the DA 55-300 got m an image I wouldn't have without it.

I like to be prepared for whatever comes my way. That means carrying zooms. It's not even a concept for prime shooters. Working with a camera you can only capture a small percentage of what's out there. Many beautiful things are just not camera friendly. Reducing it even further by shooting one focal length... as I said at the top, it's meditation,. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited by normhead; 06-12-2018 at 07:26 AM.
06-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Yesterday I was out with the DA 55-300 palm and the DA* 200

DA 55-300

DA*200
''Remember: one lens (as many images as you like), images only (you may name the lens and camera).''

So which is it Norm? The DA55-300WR or DA*200?

Both lovely shots,by the way.(Although I'd have been tempted to PP out the suspiciously curly looking hair in the first one!)
06-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
So which is it Norm? The DA55-300WR or DA*200?
They both gave me something the other didn't. if I were taking just one lens, it would have been the DA* 60-250. I did want to try some sub ƒ4 images, so I took the 200, so the 200 2.8 and 55-300 fit in my camera bag, and gave me bit more flexibility than the 60-250 on it's own.

To me, it's not a matter of what would I choose, it's a matter of what would I miss if I choose it, and you lose something every time you make that choice, no matter what you choose. , Sometimes it comes down to what i feel like concentrating on that day.

My philosophy has always been cover the whole range with zooms, have a few favourite primes in chosen focal lengths,
QuoteQuote:
Both lovely shots,by the way.(Although I'd have been tempted to PP out the suspiciously curly looking hair in the first one!), so I'm philosophically opposed to choosing.
Ha ha, I didn't even see it. Kind of makes me wonder what it is and what it was doing there. Nature can be weird.

Last edited by normhead; 06-12-2018 at 08:10 AM.
06-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #19
Pentaxian

They both gave me something the other didn't. if I were taking just one lens, it would have been the DA* 60-250. I did want to try some sub ƒ4 images, so I took the 200, so the 200 2.8 and 55-300 fit in my camera bag, and gave me bit more flexibility than the 60-250 on it's own.

To me, it's not a matter of what would I choose, it's a matter of what would I miss if I choose it, and you lose something every time you make that choice, no matter what you choose. , Sometimes it comes down to what i feel like concentrating on that day.

My philosophy has always been over the whole range with zooms, have a few favourite primes in chosen focal lengths,

Ha ha, I didn't even see it. Kind of makes me wonder what it is and what it was doing there. Nature can be weird.
I wouldn't disagree with any of that.It is just that the whole point of this thread was to show what could be done with just one lens.

Last edited by timb64; 06-12-2018 at 08:52 AM.
06-12-2018, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
.It's just that the whole point of this thread was to show what could be done with just one lens.
Yes, what can we, the photographer, do with just that one lens. Not what they, the lenses, can do with just that one us.

06-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I wouldn't disagree with any of that.It'st that the whole point of this thread was to show what could be done with just one lens.
Apart from Gurzky who shoots one picture with two lenses (and two different FLs) and has some magical formula for creating a 3D effect that way, I think every photograph on here is shot with just one lens. Personally, I have Albums posted on Photobucket all taken with the same lens. So I could post a whole series of images taken with one lens, but it would be at least 10 different lenses , but just one in each album. Some of the lenses I have albums are zooms, some are primes. OK someone explain it, what's the point again?

Go here, scroll down the page to sub-albums, you see many albums taken with 1 lens.

http://s1132.photobucket.com/user/Norm_Head/library/Pentax_forum/Sample_by_l...?sort=3&page=2

and you can run a slide show on any one of them.

What are we doing here again? I'm confused.

Last edited by normhead; 06-12-2018 at 08:32 AM.
06-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #22
Pentaxian

What are we doing here again? I'm confused.
In the related thread in the Pentax SLR Lenses discussion forum I believe you chose the 28-105(or maybe it was the 18-135??)As many pictures as you like taken with that one lens.

As my Dad would say,if in doubt ,read the instructions!

06-12-2018, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's a pictures thread, Norm. Just pictures from the one lens you would use if you could only use one. Linking to an album works, but is less fun for the thread. Plus, it won't help the post count!
06-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #24
Pentaxian

In the related thread in the Pentax SLR Lenses discussion forum I believe you chose the 28-105(or maybe it was the 18-135??)As many pictures as you like taken with that one lens.

As my Dad would say,if in doubt ,read the instructions!
I hate him already. I mean, was he really a guy? what guy does that? I's a point of pride.

I usually read the instruction manual only after I've bricked the product, to see if I can somehow get it working again.

After pleading with people for years to post pictures demonstrating what they are talking about, I doubt asking people to post pictures will lead to much of an increase in the post count. You might be barking up the wrong tree.

People can suggest almost anything, but they can post examples of almost nothing when it comes to supporting their opinions. Most of the time vehemently expressed opinions are little more than hunches.

Last edited by normhead; 06-12-2018 at 09:25 AM.
06-12-2018, 09:17 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

Recent nature shots with DA16-85WR (same lens as post #6)

---------- Post added 06-12-18 at 05:19 PM ----------

I hate him already. I mean, was he really guy, what guy does that? I's a point of pride.
Usually said sarcastically at the point where things have been well and truly cocked up by .....not ......following......the .....instructions

Last edited by timb64; 06-12-2018 at 09:29 AM.
06-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #26

DA16-85WR

Some really nice pictures
06-12-2018, 11:29 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

OK clarification of rules... if i have a K-1 and a K-3 can I use two lenses, or does it have to be one lens for both. The DFA 28-105 is definitely the best on the K-1, but not wide enough to be a one lens solution on my K-3.

I guess my problem is, my favourite lens is the one I've decided to use today.
It's like, my two favourite football teams are Ohio State and whoever plays Michgan this week.
My two favourite lenses are whatever I feel like carrying today, and whatever lens best compliments it.

I'm not helping am I?

OK here we go, my absolute favourite lens and one lens solution would be my 28-105, a great lens on both APS-c and FF.

The crazy thing is, being my choice for only lens being one thing, I haven't had it on the camera since the 20th of last month. This time of year it's all macro and telephoto. It might be my choice as an only lens, but that being said, with the number of lenses I have and bodies, it doesn't get used all that often.

Is that enough? Do I still get to do 18-135 images?

Last edited by normhead; 06-12-2018 at 12:03 PM.
06-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not helping am I?
Nope...
06-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK here we go, my absolute favourite lens and one lens solution would be my 28-105, a great lens on both APS-c and FF.

See? There you go!
06-12-2018, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
See? There you go!
I do get there eventually, it just takes a bit of thinking out loud.