Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 661 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 01:51 AM - 3 Likes   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think this one counts as a lighthouse. Berry Head, Torbay, Devon.

06-20-2018, 02:13 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I think this one counts as a lighthouse.
Must have been built on a really really tight budget.
06-20-2018, 02:51 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
I think this one counts as a lighthouse.
Must have been built on a really really tight budget.
Judging by the size of the lantern it is a lighthouse (although by the presence of a beacon behind it, it may be out of service(?).
High vantage points justify short lighthouses - the one at Ballina NSW is not too tall.
06-20-2018, 03:22 AM   #64
Pentaxian

There's lots of properly scenic clifftop lighthouse towers along the coast. I've got Kodachromes of quite a few of them but haven't bothered to scan them yet, so it'll be interesting to see how digital versions compare when I get out and shoot them.

06-20-2018, 04:53 AM   #65
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I hope this one is allowed, although it's a light beacon rather than a proper lighthouse. Banjo Pier in Looe, Cornwall.
What worries me is the warning sign: Danger of death from swimming or fishing. Maybe the water's too cold and the fish too contaminated.
06-20-2018, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
No idea Craig.
I guess no one has, so no points.

The childrens series was 'Round the Twist' it aired in Australia, the UK, Ireland, Germany, the Netherlands and Canada so somebody should have got it.

"Bloodwood' was a tougher clue. In the Arthur Upfield novel 'The New Shoe' (or 'The Clue of the New Shoe') one of the characters is a coffin maker who makes cheap pine caskets for the trade and lovingly crafted Red-gum coffins for special customers. Bony (Napoleon Bonaparte) asks him if he has ever heard of Bloodwood “The most beautiful tree in the interior” and eventually arranges for some to be shipped to him from northern NSW.

Oops, forgot to say, Bony was investigation the finding of a body in the lighthouse.
06-20-2018, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
What worries me is the warning sign: Danger of death from swimming or fishing. Maybe the water's too cold and the fish too contaminated.
Perhaps it is just a school of maneating fish. They don't know which end of the pole has the bait (the swimming part should be self explanatory)

06-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Craig, I never watched Round the Twist and I don't remember much of Bony (Boney?) and wouldn't have known that either was set at Split Head.
The bigger question is, why would an Australian Aboriginal detective be named after a French emperor?
06-20-2018, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Bony (Boney?)
Bony. But sometimes even the publishers got it wrong. Perhaps because the TV series was called "Boney".

QuoteQuote:
The bigger question is, why would an Australian Aboriginal detective be named after a French emperor?
“How did you come by your startling name?”
“I can assure you it was no wish of mine to insult the illustrious Emperor,” explained the stranger. He accepted a cigarette with grace, and lighting it, went on, “I was discovered at the tender age of two weeks with my dead mother under a sandalwood tree in the far north of Queensland, and I was taken to the nearest mission station. There, a little later, the necessity for a name arose; and, whilst various names occupied the mind of the respected matron, she observed me trying to eat a copy of Abbott’s Life of Napoleon Bonaparte. I have concluded since that the matron was a humorous soul.”
06-20-2018, 05:31 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I missed that episode, obviously!
06-23-2018, 09:41 PM - 4 Likes   #71
Pentaxian

I've got a few lighthouse pics to add to the thread, which is a great concept by the way...

Starting in the eastern edge of my local continent:

Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse near Portland Maine, taken while killing some time waiting to go to the airport to go home from a work trip.

Rams Ledge Lighthouse, offshore from the same location...

Old Fort Niagara Lighthouse, on the shore of Lake Erie where the Niagara River ends. Began operation in 1782 under the French. This structure began operations in 1872, and was deactivated in 1993 and replaced by a radio beacon at the USCG station on the river. We were visiting after the tours closed for the season, but due to luck, sweet-talkin', and a shared love for lighthouses, we ended up with a personalized tour of the lighthouse and the history of the Fort. What a wonderful day we had for the visit, in November even! - fall colors and history all around and one pretty dam amazing waterfall to boot...

This one's a privately owned lighthouse overlooking Lake Michigan a ways north of Milwaukee. Another work trip, only this time I had driven from Omaha Nebraska to Madison Wisconsin, then after the meetings were done I did a big side trip to go dip my (west-coast) toes into at least one of the Great Lakes, and to go visit my brother and his family in Osh-Kosh-B'Gosh Wisconsin. Ran across this light while sightseeing. Don't recall how I figured out any of its history or anything, but it looks cool.

More lights coming later
06-23-2018, 10:15 PM - 5 Likes   #72
Pentaxian

Let's keep on moving westwards... Here's one that technically doesn't qualify as a lighthouse, kinda missing the "house" bit. But, it's a navigation light that stands at the entrance to my local Harbor, it's marked on the USCG charts, and it's shaped like a dang lighthouse so I'll keep in here anyway

Then we have a smattering of the lighthouses around Puget Sound marking the inland marine waterways. Most of these are shorter structures, since the sightlines required are short enough that they don't need a high tower to get a further horizon. Marking the points and bends in the channels is far more important locally.

This one is very near where I grew up, in fact I rode my bike down there more than once. Mukilteo, WA, just south of the port of Everett. This view was from the kayak when I was paddling around up there one day

Another view of the light from land this time:

And the fourth-order Fresnel lens that station still uses:

On Vashon Island, across from Seattle, we find the Point Robinson Lighthouse.

Over on the Olympics side of the Sound, we find the Point No Point Lighthouse. This light was put in place to assist navigation of the Admiralty Inlet, the entrance to Puget Sound. It's a popular place, with very nice sandy beaches compare to the usual rocky ones, and the fact that there are a ton of fish passing by almost any time of the year, within casting distance of the beach.
06-23-2018, 11:11 PM - 3 Likes   #73
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I've got a few lighthouse pics to add to the thread, which is a great concept by the way...
Excellent collection of images Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Some old ones of mine. Green Cape lighthouse in Ben Boyd National Park, on the far south coast of New South Wales. It was in operation from 1883 to 1992. The lighthouse keeper's cottage is available for stays - great place.
Attached Images

06-23-2018, 11:25 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jim, what a fabulous collection of lighthouse images! Even the short ones have great character, and the French-built one; tres fantastique (which may not mean the same in French as it sounds like it should!)

Des, another good. Is that Mrs Des?
06-23-2018, 11:37 PM   #75
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Des, another good. Is that Mrs Des?
Thanks Rod. Yes, in a common law sense anyway. Di would bristle at being called that.:-)