Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 661 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2019, 09:39 PM - 3 Likes   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally getting progress on my July lighthouse tour photos... started at the southern end of Oregon and worked our way north.

First up is Cape Blanco Lighthouse

Then the Coquille River light in the town of Bandon

Next up, the Cape Arago Lighthouse, not accessible except viewing...

Then the Umpqua River Lighthouse. This one was unique in our experience, when you get to the top of the tower you are actually coming up *inside* the lens assembly (a beautiful intact first-order Fresnel lens from Paris). More pics of that later...

Then the most photographed light in the state, supposedly, the Heceta Head Lighthouse.

Last edited by RoxnDox; 08-31-2019 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Fixed a link
08-31-2019, 10:10 PM - 5 Likes   #137
Pentaxian

Next light northward on the Oregon coast is the inactive Yaquina Bay Light in Newport. Lots of historical stuff inside for the life of the keepers.

A few miles away is the light that replaced the one in town, the Yaquina Head Lighthouse. It’s a beauty, still in operation, 168 steps to the top. Lots and lots of great photos there. This one is my favorite.

Next up is Cape Meares Lighthouse - A short one high on a bluff

Tillamook Rock Lighthouse has been shown before, just gotta include it again to have a complete list

The final shot is of the US Lightship Columbia, which was anchored off the mouth of the Columbia River from 1951 to 1979. She was the 4th ship to serve there. Now she is at the maritime museum in Astoria...
09-01-2019, 12:53 AM   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Finally getting progress on my July lighthouse tour photos
Jim, a great series; every lighthouse on the Oregon coast!!! well done.
And thanks. Great viewing. I loved every one.
09-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #139
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Jim, a great series; every lighthouse on the Oregon coast!!! well done.And thanks. Great viewing. I loved every one.
Absolutely what I was going to say. Great stories, excellent images. Well done Jim.

09-03-2019, 05:16 AM - 6 Likes   #140
Pentaxian

The Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse, Acadia National Park, Maine.

09-03-2019, 06:08 AM - 4 Likes   #141
Pentaxian

The lighthouse on Brixham breakwater. (Or is it really just a beacon?)

09-08-2019, 08:44 PM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, Dave, it is really a beacon.
But who cares? it sits within the realm of maritime safety light sources; so it qualifies.
How many attempts did it take to capture the beacon alight?

09-24-2019, 01:14 PM - 3 Likes   #143
Pentaxian

Southwold, Suffolk, UK

09-30-2019, 08:20 AM - 2 Likes   #144
Veteran Member

St.John's Point lighthouse, County Down, Ireland

St.John's point lighthouse over looking the Irish sea and Dundrum bay in County Down, Ireland.

I was so focussed on the alignment and composition that I didn't notice (until later) the man looking at the misty Mourne mountains across the bay but he makes the photo.

It was my first time here and it was beautiful, only 1 hour drive from the horrible city!

I preferred the B&W version as I thought it was more atmospheric, which I originally posted here:

The 15mm Limited controls my mind - club - Page 754 - PentaxForums.com
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
09-30-2019, 01:30 PM   #145
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
I preferred the B&W version as I thought it was more atmospheric
I liked the B&W on the 15 thread, but I like the colour version here even more. The yellow stripes are very distinctive, It gives a pleasing balance of cool and warm colours.
09-30-2019, 08:12 PM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

St.John's point lighthouse over looking the Irish sea and Dundrum bay in County Down, Ireland.

I was so focussed on the alignment and composition that I didn't notice (until later) the man looking at the misty Mourne mountains across the bay but he makes the photo.

It was my first time here and it was beautiful, only 1 hour drive from the horrible city!

I preferred the B&W version as I thought it was more atmospheric, which I originally posted here:

The 15mm Limited controls my mind - club - Page 754 - PentaxForums.com
I like both. But despite a love of black and white photography, the color version is more appealing to me.
10-01-2019, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-05-2019, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I like both. But despite a love of black and white photography, the color version is more appealing to me.
Thanks for the feedback from you and Des. Yes I'm drawn to the colour version too, I can say this was the exact colour as seen (I love the HD coatings for the realism and I find the K-70 nails the white balance).

Not many lighthouses are black and yellow, not even sure why it is this colour!

On the subject here, there is an old lighthouse keepers cottage for sale in Donegal, Ireland, and the island too but the working automated lighthouse isn't part of the sale. It is really cheap (75,000 Euro) but you need a boat to get to it. I'd be interested otherwise
10-05-2019, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #149
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the subject here, there is an old lighthouse keepers cottage for sale in Donegal, Ireland, and the island too but the working automated lighthouse isn't part of the sale. It is really cheap (75,000 Euro) but you need a boat to get to it. I'd be interested otherwise
For those of you who dream of living in a lighthouse:
Lighthouses For Sale Or Rent | A dedicated lighthouse research facility of past, present and future lighthouse sales. Plus lighthouse holiday destinations.
Own One of These Six Lighthouses for Sale From Just $10,000 | Apartment Therapy
And here's the one in Donegal: Donegal island with two cottages for sale for just $84k

There are none for sale in Australia, but quite a few places where you can stay in a lighthouse keeper's cottage. We once stayed in one at Green Cape, Ben Boyd NP, NSW (see post #73), which was fabulous.

The truly hardy could apply to be lighthouse keepers at remote Maatsuyker Island, off the wild south coast of Tasmania:
Maatsuyker Island lighthouse keepers share experience | The Examiner
Seals and eagles witness Maatsuyker Island lighthouse keepers' engagement - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
10-05-2019, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #150
Veteran Member

Des, that one in Donegal is the one I was talking about. It's a plan/idea of mine to move there (but not an island) and perhaps go into tourism for a part time living. Renovation/building is what I do anyway.
Thanks for those links, i will have a read.

The lighthouse island in Donegal is about 3km off the coast and it is the Atlantic ocean. As you can imagine the storms can be fierce and waves massive! You'd be stuck there a lot of the time as ferries to other islands are regular non runners and hence why nobody has bought it.