Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2018, 07:40 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
As the daily threads are ment for photos only and general conversation is supposed to be here or within the shots, I try to move this here.

There is something special in M40, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's something in the rendering, I think. It doesn't shine in anything you can simply measure, but overall it's a pleasure to use and I really like the images it produce. Based on the reviews I didn't expect to like it this much, as I thought it wouldn't as good as 35/2 or the fifties and, to be honest, it isn't, but it's refreshingly different. Definitely in the pile of M's I'm not selling after I'm done with my SIC project. It's so fun to be out there all day with it as the only lens, that I probably keep it as my travel lightly lens.

I don't think I can give better answer at the moment.
Thank you! I have the same opinion. I can test this lens and show that it is worse compared to some other primes. But images taken with are always pleasant and it is good enough for me from f 4.5.

07-31-2018, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #32
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
M40/2.8

I'm done with July challenge with M40/2.8. To my surprice I found out that on vacation one has less time for photography. At least occasionally. My commenting was weak at best and for a period I skipped it completely. But I took the shots needed, thought on many days I took the easy route and shot sunsets where I happened to be or what I've been doing and didn't put time and effort in finding the shot or being very creative in choosing the target. My commitment to the challenge was my weakest performance so far. On the other hand there were some shots I'm really pleased with and I feel like I'm still going forward as a photographer.

There is something special in M40 when compared to other M's. It's not the sharpest of the series, but I really like the way it renders and focal lenght is good on crop body. The small size is fun, thought it limits minimum focus distance. I have noticed that it's a good lens to travel with when you want go light and take only one lens. One of the keepers in my collection of M's.

Even the wrap up seems to be short this month.

07-31-2018, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Fujinon-Z 43-75mm f/3.5-4.5

This lens has an interesting history. Apparently it's the first zoom lens sold as a standard option for an interchangeable-lens camera (the Fujinon AZ-1, an M42-mount SLR). Fujifilm points to this lens as one of the historical milestones which has led to their current technology. Video here:
I was fortunate to have a copy in very good condition.

So, with that, here are my impressions:

- The lens handles well - compact, well balanced, and with a zoom that's firm without being stiff.
- Sharpness-wise, the lens delivered images that ranged from acceptable (wide open) to wonderfully sharp (at f/8 or so).
- Color rendering was definitely bluer than I am used to, and I found myself raising the color temperature on a regular basis. There were moments, though, where the rendering really fit the subject.
- As you would expect from a 1970's lens, the lens coatings were not up to providing any decent amount of flare resistance, at all. Anything remotely into the sun suffered heavily from haze.
- The lens seemed to struggle in low-light situations - I noticed a fair amount of graininess (not ISO noise), although I did not test extensively to figure out what was going on.

So, would I keep this lens? It's pleasant enough to use, but not a lens that inspired real passion or loyalty. So if someone wants to buy it, shoot me a PM.

Here are some of my favorite shots of the month:

08-03-2018, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #34
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spiratone Plura-Coat by Mitake 28mm f2

my review of my month with the Spiratone Plura-Coat by Mitake 28mm f2:

this lens was a whim-purchase from eBay - I attempted to research the lens before hitting 'Buy Now' but there is virtually no information on this lens on the internet...

there are some general facts: Spiratone was a re-badging seller of lenses and other camera equipment, Mitake was a second or third tier manufacturer of lenses for re-badging..... and that is about it...

what scarce info I found suggests that you could also find this lens badged as a Soligor, Formula 5, and possibly other brands...

the copy I bought was damaged from the beginning - it was not described in the ad, but the aperture lever was missing its return spring, so the for the first couple of days I had the lens, it would not meter reliably and I could only shoot wide-open, which gave me little clue about the lens' capabilities - so off to Advance Camera for the repair and CLA...

when returned, the lens meters reliably and I could now shoot anything I wanted to, from f2 to f16 - so off we go!

firstly - this is a late-70's film-era 28mm lens, with some coatings (Plura-Coat) to the elements, but nowhere near current-day standards...

it is a manual-focus (turning opposite Pentax OEM lenses), manual-aperture lens that is all metal and glass; with no plastic or weight-saving composites, this lens weighs a hefty 360 grams (more than my SMC A 100/4 Macro)...

it is a K-mount lens, a six-bladed iris, a 62mm filter ring, and just a bit beyond 180* travel for the focus ring...

the good: color rendition is accurate, the focus ring is smooth and well-damped with no hard or stiff action throughout any of its travel, center sharpness, and the bokeh is pleasant...

the bad: shooting at F2 with any strong light sources is nearly-impossible and requires skill in both the taking and post-processing of the shot, plus almost anything not centered in the shot will not be in focus...

overall: I had fun shooting with this lens throughout the month - once I learned how to shoot with it and what its strengths are, I was able to pull some really nice shots through her and did have one 'Explore' during the month...

some of my favorites from July:

and the one 'Explore':

I can recommend the lens with reservations - firstly, there are better 28mm lenses available (almost ANY of the Pentax K/M/A 28 are going to be a better buy) and there are not many copies seemingly available... so actively searching for it may prove to be more work than it's worth...

if you come across one in decent shape, for a cheap price, sure - but I don't know that I would honestly go looking for one of these....

I had a good month with her, but was bored of her limitations by the 3rd week in July, to be honest, and was looking forward to moving on...

and here's the rest of July's shots:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperberryfarm/albums/72157695429069342/with/43057702864/

08-03-2018, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I apologise for my early and unceremonious disappearance from the July challenge. I found the F18-28 Fisheye Zoom a real drag and I completely lost my mojo.

Not that it's a bad lens. It's tiny, handles well and produces pretty good image quality in the right light. It does fringe a fair bit, but so does my DA10-17 Fisheye Zoom (which I love).

The deal breaker for me was its lack of close focus. Often I envisaged a shot with an interesting foreground subject and just couldn't get the framing I wanted. Probably more a problem with me than the lens, but there it is