Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2018, 10:57 PM - 8 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For several years, a group of friends would head out of Portland into the Mt Hood National Forest to camp for a few days along the Clackamas River. There were great hikes to the hot springs, opportunities to fly fish, we ate amazing meals, played games and hung around the campfire. Here are a few pictures to celebrate friendship and a beautiful country:

07-26-2018, 12:50 AM - 5 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
07-26-2018, 01:29 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

July 2017, in the area of Big Lake Arizona.

07-26-2018, 10:57 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

3 day fly - in fishing trip / red lake ontario / 21 self employed guys

Wish the K-3 had been invented in 1985 sorry for the IQ. But no matter the IQ the importance of any Photos reinforced.
SHORE LUNCH ! Walleye fillets out the wazzoo , Home made Bread , Deep dish Molasis Black beans, Ice Cold Beer ! 21 guys with nothing on their minds but is there any fillets left ?

Last edited by honey bo bo; 10-04-2018 at 06:07 AM.
07-26-2018, 11:06 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Start Them Early !

I think my Grand Babies are In-Bread to have to have bugs in their food ! Early Childhood Protein I suppose

Last edited by honey bo bo; 10-04-2018 at 06:07 AM.
07-26-2018, 11:30 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Joshua Tree National Park
Jan/ 2018
My sweetie and I spent one chilly night snuggled up, listening to the silence broken by occasional coyote calls.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
07-26-2018, 12:18 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Funny story, but, unfortunately, no pics.

Back in about 1976-7, the wife and I decided to go camping over the 4th of July weekend. We were living in Denver at the time and I'd heard of a really neat little campground in the Westcliff/Hillside area (west of Pueblo). We're headed down I-25 and just north of Colorado Springs at Monument Hill we hit an absolute whiteout - can't even see the front of the hood. One minute we're going 65-70 MPH, the next OH *&^%. Remember, this is JULY. Fortunately, the next minute everything clears, blue sky, super day.

We continue on - get to the campground and get settled in so we start to explore. Find there's 3 tiered lakes formed by beaver dams with water so clear you can see the bottom all the way across! Beautiful - and virtually no one there. And out of the bottom lake is a little creek that runs behind our tent site. Even the wife is happy! Nice paths around the lakes - just dirt - but reasonably level. Just a super campground.

Do the normal evening/night stuff - cook dinner - veg out - crawl into our double sleeping bag and absolutely crash!! Wake up in the AM and I need to visit 'mother nature' badly - step out of the tent barefooted, in my skivvies, into 8" of fresh snow!! And it's about 20º outside (it was in the 70's when we crashed). WOW!! Remember, it's JULY! The wife was not happy, but by 11AM the snow was gone, it was back in the 70's and all is well!!

Fast forward about 25 years - I'm back in Colorado and decide to find the old campground - unfortunately, I do find it. The 3 clear lakes are now 1 dirty looking lake - it's paved around the lake - and there's a bazillion folks around. The campground had gotten so popular that it was actually ruined. Sad.

Well, I do still have my memories of that first time!!

07-26-2018, 12:46 PM - 3 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My sister took this photo - back in 1967 - in Jokkmokk, Sweden.
The family went on holiday in northen Sweden were the midnight sun rules, and sister and I could stay out till after midnight, and it was still light.
I'm the one eating - my big brother is reading the paper.
We must have had this cabin for a week - I don't remember much, but those annoying little mosquitos I do remember ;-)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
07-26-2018, 02:22 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by henrikpedersen33 Quote
those annoying little mosquitos I do remember
those were the days when shorts really were shorts
07-26-2018, 08:07 PM - 4 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Camping at Milk Ranch Point on the Mogollon Rim in Arizona.

Our front yard:

07-26-2018, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is one hell of a front yard!!!
07-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Funny story, but, unfortunately, no pics.

Back in about 1976-7, the wife and I decided to go camping over the 4th of July weekend. We were living in Denver at the time and I'd heard of a really neat little campground in the Westcliff/Hillside area (west of Pueblo). We're headed down I-25 and just north of Colorado Springs at Monument Hill we hit an absolute whiteout - can't even see the front of the hood. One minute we're going 65-70 MPH, the next OH *&^%. Remember, this is JULY. Fortunately, the next minute everything clears, blue sky, super day.

We continue on - get to the campground and get settled in so we start to explore. Find there's 3 tiered lakes formed by beaver dams with water so clear you can see the bottom all the way across! Beautiful - and virtually no one there. And out of the bottom lake is a little creek that runs behind our tent site. Even the wife is happy! Nice paths around the lakes - just dirt - but reasonably level. Just a super campground.

Do the normal evening/night stuff - cook dinner - veg out - crawl into our double sleeping bag and absolutely crash!! Wake up in the AM and I need to visit 'mother nature' badly - step out of the tent barefooted, in my skivvies, into 8" of fresh snow!! And it's about 20º outside (it was in the 70's when we crashed). WOW!! Remember, it's JULY! The wife was not happy, but by 11AM the snow was gone, it was back in the 70's and all is well!!

Fast forward about 25 years - I'm back in Colorado and decide to find the old campground - unfortunately, I do find it. The 3 clear lakes are now 1 dirty looking lake - it's paved around the lake - and there's a bazillion folks around. The campground had gotten so popular that it was actually ruined. Sad.

Well, I do still have my memories of that first time!!
Great story Chip!
07-27-2018, 09:47 AM - 3 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Brent Campground, Algonquin Park, Ontario, Canada
May 2016
As you can tell from the bug nets, the blackflies had started but still too early for mosquitoes.My son had just got his license so was quite happy to drive to the campsite.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
07-27-2018, 10:18 AM - 6 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We camp on a pretty regular basis.

Fire is good entertainment for the boy. The is only a few miles from home but has a nice remote feel.

A cold spring night in Penetente Canyon a few years ago. Water froze that night!

Backpacking with my son.

Under the moon a couple of summers ago as an escape from the carnival that sets up too close in town.

Solo camping for Persied meteor photos. Slept on a cot next to the campfire.

Camping/drinking with friends

Solo minimal bivvy camp near Crested Butte

Kilimanjaro camping

Last weekend near Crested Butte. Too crowded for my tastes!
07-27-2018, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Brent Campground, Algonquin Park, Ontario, Canada
May 2016
As you can tell from the bug nets, the blackflies had started but still too early for mosquitoes.My son had just got his license so was quite happy to drive to the campsite.
Looks like a great location! Kinda like the Boundary Waters area in northern Minnesota. And, that looks like a smallmouth bass??? Nice one. And, yep, I remember the blackflies!!!