Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 142 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I failed utterly at this month. The lens performed pretty well close up when I had time to really meticulously focus it, but for longer shots it was hard to get the focus nailed. Moving subjects - forget it. The other issue was a relatively slow aperture that really limited the opportunity to use it without a lot of light. Then on top of that I had some issues crop up in the personal life that threw a monkey wrench into things. In any case - I'm not going to try for October. I may do daily in. My main concern with either is that I feel to really participate means not only taking the pictures but taking the time to view and offer comments on everyones pictures. That second aspect is the one that felt overwhelming this month due to time pressures.
I know what you mean, I am far behind on commenting.

You shouldn't consider the month a total loss, you tipped me off to La Teresita, and the food was delicious, thanks
!

10-01-2018, 04:31 PM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I know what you mean, I am far behind on commenting.

You shouldn't consider the month a total loss, you tipped me off to La Teresita, and the food was delicious, thanks
!
Oh I am so glad!
10-02-2018, 08:20 AM - 4 Likes   #123
Pentaxian

General Report on the DA 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 DC WR etc. etc.

I didn't make it through the whole month with this lens. In fact I didn't initially plan on doing Single In ever again, but I took the fact that we were going on a family holiday and I would be photographing things regularly to give it one more try. Some of the shots surprised me with their detail, but this lens has always had a very good reputation. At times, the fact that we were on a cruise ship told against it. There were times I wanted the extra few millimetres that taking the DA 15/4.0 would have provided for photographing the interiors better (it's a Disney ship, and they did an outstanding job), and there were rare moments I wanted something longer than 135mm, but I was determined to travel light with as few lens changes as possible.

On that basis, I think this lens delivered on its unspoken promise to be the best all-round one-lens-for-everything package that Pentax offers for APS-C today. Most of the mistakes were mine, and when I didn't make them the lens excelled itself on the K-5. Flash was necessary on a holiday like this one (lots of close-in interior work with fast-moving kids and little reaction time), and the AF540FGZ-II on the K-1 would have been far too much bulk.

The only possible alternative in my armamentarium would have been the DA 18-250 f/3.5-6.3. I considered it, but I have found the DC motor in this lens to work better and faster than the screwdrive motor in the superzoom, and in my opinion the optics in the 18-135 are simply better (it's a newer lens, IIRC). The 16-85 might be a superior choice for those who have it, but I had my reasons for wanting the extra zoom at the long end when I made the purchase, and those were eminently justified in the long run.

The DA18-135 even did portraiture well, albeit on statues; the DOF is shallow enough at maximum focal length and the minimum framing distance imposed to isolate the subject from a sufficiently distant background (see my September 11 shot) while at the same time not risking unpleasant defocused areas in the face, and in a live portrait situation the background could be chosen and the model positioned appropriately to allow for a more pleasing aesthetic than the one actually achieved.

A tripod would have improved a lot of the shots I took but did not post, as would a circular polariser, but again, these were left behind in the interests of expediency and light weight (and a good thing too; we came back home with our luggage barely within non-penalty weight margins). The polariser, at least, might yet come.

All in all an outstanding lens, and a keeper, even if it's only at its best on one of the three cameras I own (the *istDS can't drive the AF, and the K-1 is crippled by its need to operate in crop mode and the need for an external flash in the low-light indoor settings that predominated on this trip).
10-03-2018, 02:32 AM - 3 Likes   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What do you mean September is over already?!

I took more photos than I showed. But I have yet to process them to put up to share.

All I can say is 50mm is a lot wider than I remembered, and actually works ok in my house. And it’s nice to get up to 135mm. I only missed the wide end a few times. But I wasn’t really on my game..

Got two explores out of it though which was pretty cool - nice way to get back in the saddle.

If you want to know whether you should pull the trigger or not, I say do it. The compression at 135, and shot open wide is a magic combination.