Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
October thread is up:

Single In - October, 2018 - PentaxForums.com

09-25-2018, 01:54 PM - 3 Likes   #107
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Back home. A day late as we missed connecting flight in Frankfurt and had to stay overninght. I've gone thru the shots and posted to the threads. Might try to catch up with commenting during this week.
09-27-2018, 01:20 AM - 2 Likes   #108
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Up to date with comments.
09-29-2018, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't do this any more. Too many other competing interests, not enough flexibility to go out and shoot in the day or even the evening most days (kids' activities)... I simply can't keep up for an entire month with the same lens.

You'll still see pictures from me in various lens clubs from time to time, but I'm done with Single In. I certainly value the creativity it has occasionally forced me to, and I will probably follow along, but no more Single In pics from me.

09-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I can't do this any more. Too many other competing interests, not enough flexibility to go out and shoot in the day or even the evening most days (kids' activities)... I simply can't keep up for an entire month with the same lens.

You'll still see pictures from me in various lens clubs from time to time, but I'm done with Single In. I certainly value the creativity it has occasionally forced me to, and I will probably follow along, but no more Single In pics from me.
Good luck on your life journey, keep the camera handy to record some of those activities to remember them later on.
09-29-2018, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote

Its tough for me too. To paraphrase Mitch Hedberg- its like pancakes; "all exciting at first but by the end you're sick of 'em."

If I ever complete a whole month of a sic then you'll all know I've been replaced by an evil robot.
09-30-2018, 12:12 AM - 2 Likes   #112
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I started off the month playing with this 50-135 2.8 hoping to finally see why people like it so much. After a month of shooting with it I have gained a respect for it. The photos taken at 2.8 seem to have a special quality about them, the way it handles areas of out of focus is very pleasing with a nice transition from in focus to smooth bokeh. The speed of autofocus and lack of hunting for focus worked well with my style of shooting. The size and balance with the K3 worked well and the lack of bulk made the combination easy to take with me each day. When I examined the photos closely I was unable to fault the sharpness of the lens other than due to using too slow a shutter speed leading to some softness from me rather than the lens. I can now see why it has such a great following. Thank you all for the comments along the way and the inspiration from the photos you posted, they help me see the world with a better eye. Roll on next month........ whichever lens that may be.

09-30-2018, 07:21 AM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, I think that SIC's value is beyond helping to learn a lens's strength and weaknesses by shooting every day, but also in making one consider how to use that lens in an condition or situation. I try to get a shot, when time allows, rather than foregoing a shot because I don't have the "right" lens.

This ahs been a tough month, the schedule made it hard to shoot, and though I say "bad weather makes good pictures" this month's weather conditions made it even more of a challenge.

I will post the last few days of shooting shortly, but I will restate my appreciation for the "pixie dust" factor of the DA 21mm LTD. I did not use it to it's full potential, I had some ideas for filters and such, but it's a great make around lens on APS-C, especially for landscapes, or street.
09-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #114
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
FWIW, I think that SIC's value is beyond helping to learn a lens's strength and weaknesses by shooting every day, but also in making one consider how to use that lens in an condition or situation. I try to get a shot, when time allows, rather than foregoing a shot because I don't have the "right" lens.

exactly!

not to mention making one a better photographer....
09-30-2018, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

not to mention making one a better photographer....
In my case, I have nowhere to go but up.
09-30-2018, 12:42 PM - 3 Likes   #116
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

M85/2

I'm done with the month and it's been good. M85/2 is one of the best primes in M series and I have enjoyed greatly on the its IQ. Lens is prone to fringe on wider apertures, but it hasn't been as bad as I remembered. Stopped down to f5.6 it's often small enough to be correctable in PP. As always with M series the lens is bit soft wide open. Really nice bokeh.

It's all good. I really have nothing else negative or constructive to say than fringing. This is one of the must keep lenses in the searies.

Wide open:

Stopped down to f2.8:

Sunset:

Macro with extension tubes:

Sports:

Amazing sparkle:

Portrait:
09-30-2018, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I'm done with the month and it's been good. M85/2 is one of the best primes in M series and I have enjoyed greatly on the its IQ. Lens is prone to fringe on wider apertures, but it hasn't been as bad as I remembered. Stopped down to f5.6 it's often small enough to be correctable in PP. As always with M series the lens is bit soft wide open. Really nice bokeh.

It's all good. I really have nothing else negative or constructive to say than fringing. This is one of the must keep lenses in the series.
Great, just when I thought I had my LBA under control...
09-30-2018, 07:08 PM - 3 Likes   #118
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

so ends September and my month with the Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro...

I've read in several different blogs/reviews that this is supposed to be the 2nd best macro that Sigma has ever produced - better than the 50mm, better than the 105mm (but not the 180mm), so when a used copy came up for sale here on the Marketplace, I inquired about it.... and glad I did...

the short of it: this lens is amazing - it rivals the D FA 50 Macro I have for stupendous resolution, color, and clarity....

the Sigma 70 is a native 1:1 macro lens, with no quickshift, no WR, and a pain-in-the-ass hood that makes you choose between it and the standard lens cap, since you cannot use both... I put a 67mm lens cap on the end of the hood all month and called it good.... additionally, the hood does not reverse for storage, because it's a screw-in hood, rather than a bayonet.... who thought of this?

aside from that, this lens is a stunner... it's versatile, reasonably quick at f2.8, has a focus limiter, and the manual focus even has a decent tactile feedback to it...

but the photos:

to me, this is a viable alternative to the D FA 100/2.8 Macro and it's a shame that Sigma no longer offers it in a k-mount...

the rest of my month with this lens:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperberryfarm/albums/72157700563575214/with/30541514368/
10-01-2018, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not a great month for me in Single In (concussion, and all that), and I only got a few portraits done as a result. I've shot the DA*50-135 before, so I won't do a review again. Same as before - marvelous quality, languid focusing, big and heavy - but a "must have" lens for those situations where quality is paramount.
10-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I failed utterly at this month. The lens performed pretty well close up when I had time to really meticulously focus it, but for longer shots it was hard to get the focus nailed. Moving subjects - forget it. The other issue was a relatively slow aperture that really limited the opportunity to use it without a lot of light. Then on top of that I had some issues crop up in the personal life that threw a monkey wrench into things. In any case - I'm not going to try for October. I may do daily in. My main concern with either is that I feel to really participate means not only taking the pictures but taking the time to view and offer comments on everyones pictures. That second aspect is the one that felt overwhelming this month due to time pressures.