Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 10:00 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP Challenge #268

G'day,

Apologies to D1NO, there didn't seem to be any progress on starting a new challenge and had something that I thought was worthy of the fine forum members who take up the PP Challenge.

The image for this challenge was taken contre jour at sunrise over Shorncliffe Pier on Brisbane's north side.It was captured using the K-1 and the D-FA* 70-200mm f2.8 @ 1/200s, f14 and ISO 100.

I captured a series of images in landscape and portrait orientation of this scene and can say to you there's a lot more info in this image than the jpeg above shows. As I needed a longer lens than the 70-200 there are lots of compositional options to choose from so I hope we see lots of variety.

Some guiding info:
  • Feel free to post more than one version but I'd prefer no more than three per participant please as I like to provide feedback on each image posted.
  • Look for composition alternatives including up to a 100% crop as there really is a lot to extract and as we're limited to a 1280 x 1024 size on the forums there's plenty to consider.
  • Please have your versions posted to this thread within one (1) week as the challenge will be closed next Saturday 08 September, Australian Eastern Standard Time (we're ten hours ahead of GMT if that helps).
  • A full size jpeg and the DNG RAW file can be found here: My Files
  • NOTE: I've messed the mediafire link in the past, drop me a line if I've been a big numpty with it again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A note to the winner: Please copy and post this info into the next challenge.

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

09-01-2018, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Tas for stepping up to keep this wonderful challenge going and for the great image to work with.

09-01-2018, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I enjoyed working with this photo, Tas. Thank you for stepping up and sharing it.

Unfortunately my very strong colors went nuts and some banding was introduced when I converted the color profile for web use, and now that it's made its way onto the forum it looks even worse. It's a shame, I liked what I had.

Last edited by JHfwp; 11-17-2018 at 05:39 PM.
09-03-2018, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Tas for stepping in for these challenges, lovely image to work with!
No 1

09-03-2018, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Tas for resurrecting us with a beautiful image.

edit, entry #2

Last edited by todd; 09-04-2018 at 06:18 PM.
09-04-2018, 09:30 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

It is amazing the amount of detail you can bring out with a little post processing.

Tim
09-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL! The place was on my bucket list, but now I think I shall desist visiting the place!

09-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
LOL! The place was on my bucket list, but now I think I shall desist visiting the place!
Don't let a seasonal turist or two stop you.
09-04-2018, 12:52 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

09-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #10
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hurry! Closing down sale! Huge bargains ending soon!

"Hi everybody!"

"Hi Dr. Nick!" (apologies to the Simpsonstm)

Great to see we've had a variety of interpretations on a somewhat restrictive theme, but glad too, to see the different compositions and framing as well as some highly amusement work (glad I didn't see that tourist).

Anyhoo, it's about 24 hours before we wrap up #268 so if you've been holding off on adding a new interpretation of the image you'll have to get it finalised and posted soon. So no pressure then.

As this was an image I always liked I too decided to do my version so I'll post a link to that when we close tomorrow.

Until the 'morrow. (apologies to Shakespeare)

Tas
09-07-2018, 02:00 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

III
09-08-2018, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Come in #268, your time is up!

Thanks for giving PP Challenge #268 a go everyone, but now it’s time to say goodbye and pass the mantle for #269 onto one of you.
Before I do that, as I committed to at the start of the challenge I will offer some feedback on each version and will add a link to my version that I worked on after starting the challenge.

Something else I mentioned at the start of the challenge was that on the day I wished I’d turned up with a longer lens. The 70-200 is good enough to allow some serious cropping however if I’d set up the D-FA 150-450instead the range of compositions I’d have captured on the day would have been more of what I was after. Indeed, I have two derivations of this scene and both needed a crop for me to be satisfied with what I could create from the scene.

But then the beauty of this challenge is that it provides a platform for a scene to be represented through other’s eyes and it is one of the best things about the challenge to see how other photographers have interpreted the scene and how than worked the image.
So down to the challenger’s feedback:

Glenn5995 A regular to the challenge and always a strong contender with what he creates. The excess space was removed and the focus is clearly based on the jetty head and the people gathered for sunrise on that day. The increase in contrast means the environment was lightened whilst leaving the jetty and people strongly in silhouette which works a treat. Subtle work in the sky has avoided any fringing around the sun, a problem that can be compounded in PP. The essence of the warm sun is well captured.

JHfwp I appreciated the stronger reds in the sky here and it is a shame that the compression applied to get it posted have detracted from the sky as the stronger colours were a good call. I especially like the light from the sun extending under the jetty end. It really enhances that feeling of a hot sun over the horizon to the point of making this feel like a sunset.

jcomley I’m never ceased to be amazed at how much detail the K-1 can capture in a scene and this example with an extreme crop really shows how good that sensor is and what Pentax can make it do. The scene best captures why I was annoyed with myself for not taking the longer lens. This is again a warmer looking scene reminiscent of a late summer’s day but ironically captured in mid-winter. The lifting of the shadows like this could have suffered with a heavy hand in PP but the more subtle approach has made this image work.

noelcmn 1 It’s always good to see how two versions of an image compare side by side and the comparison between the lighter more golden view from jcomley and the first version from noelcmn highlights this difference really well. Both versions are excellent with the silhouetted jetty and people returning us to a redder sky and the more statue-like appearance of people in silhouette.

todd Thank goodness for the regulars of the PP challenge, and as ever todd has tongue firmly embedded in cheek with some original versions that quite often you don’t see coming.
Colour: Subtlety was key to keeping a sense of the moment captured and this is the basis of the PP in the first image. The work done is a ‘zoomed in’ view that retains detail and retains the warm glow on the water under the jetty end nicely. The rim light effect is most obvious here on the people furthest to the left and this light effect was one of the parts of the scene that drew me to this capture in the first place.
B&W: It’s like I was shooting this over a lake or swimming pool with the smooth like the mind is tricked into when interpreting this scene. A very original and unique interpretation.
atupdate A challenge to the ‘tongue-in-cheek’ award for this week has to go to this version with Godzilla out for a morning stroll, probably out to get the morning paper or something I guess. The highlights around the monster gives this a more genuine feel that a simple layer addition.

noelcmn 2 & 3 The final two versions come also from noelcmn and have struck out in their own way to create compelling interpretations of the scene. The sepia tones and the warm sun looks really good and has an almost vintage look to it. The glow in the sky really makes this scene work so I really liked this interpretation and was therefore surprised as to whether it was better than your final night time version. The cool greys and white sun in version III would lead one to believe this was a moonrise. An excellent effort to create three distinctly different versions.

Well done everyone, the numbers for this challenge were small but the versions created all had merits and this makes it hard to elevate one challenger above the others as all of these versions work.

For PP Challenge #269 I nominate noelcmn as the host for the multiple versions each with unique elements and interpretations, my favourite of which is the sepia version with the subtle light effects in the sky. If there is any reason noelcmn is unable to host the next challenge please pass the banner to todd as his colour version retained the lighting effects that I particularly liked in this scene.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A note to the winner: Please copy and post this info into the next challenge.

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

For those interested my interpretation of the scene can be viewed here: Gathering for the sunrise | Shorncliffe jetty, Brisbane, Que? | Flickr

Tas
09-08-2018, 06:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Too late. I had already edited something but not uploaded it yet
09-08-2018, 06:47 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations noelcmn! Thank you Tas for the great image to work with and for hosting this challenge.
09-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks again Tas for hosting this round!

I enjoyed everyones work this week including both of noelcmn's takes, which were different and beautiful at the same time, IMHO.