Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP Challenge #270

Hello and welcome to the Pentax Forums Post-Processing Challenge!

For those that are new around here the challenge is based on a person being selected from the previous challenge to provide a full size photo (typically in both RAW & jpeg). The host provides any details and expectations on the challenge like what they are looking for, total number of submission per person taking the challenge or maybe a 'just go for it'.

Usually the challenges run for about a week or so with timings aimed to be flexible as we all have lives outside the forums. At the end of the challenge the host reviews the submissions and chooses their favourite. That person then becomes the next host for the following challenge. Some hosts also provide PP feedback too but this is an individual thing so it's welcome but not a must for the host.

Hopefully you take the opportunity to join us and see how many interpretations can be made from the one image.

Some details about this image:

This was captured with the K-1 and the HD D-FA 150-450. It was captured on a day with a lot of salt spray that has softened the scene somewhat but at 100% there's detail to work with. So the image looks like a simple challenge but when you get into working on an image with so many naturally occurring challenges getting the best out of this image isn't as easy as it seems. So, are you up to the challenge?

Follow this link to the full size jpeg and DNG RAW file: http://www.mediafire.com/?d029eonoa1cug
For this challenge:

• If you have any problems accessing the files please PM me so I can fix it quickly.
  • Post as many versions as you like but I'd appreciate it if you stick to 3 per person please as I like to provide feedback on each one.
  • Crop as much as you want however remember that the closer you crop the more obvious the salt spray softening appears.
  • I expect the final versions represent the scene on the day where the waves were really rolling in as they were from a cyclone off the east coast of Australia (it side-swiped us so the surfers were going nuts this weekend).
  • The challenge is open for approx one week from Saturday 15 September closing on Sunday 23 September (in Australia which should be Saturday for Europe and the Americas).
  • We are hoping for plenty of submissions but understand that sometimes life gets in the way. If you can't be host let the challenge host know as soon as you can please.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A note to the winner: Please copy and post this info into the next challenge.

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

Last edited by Tas; 09-14-2018 at 10:22 PM.
09-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The files do not seem to be at the link!
09-14-2018, 10:15 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I follow the link it says the owner has not added any files.
09-14-2018, 10:25 PM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
The files do not seem to be at the link!
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
When I follow the link it says the owner has not added any files.
Okay, sorry guys I did mess up again, somehow

I have replaced the link in the first post and checked that the images are there so please give it another go.

Tas

09-14-2018, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I still have a lot to learn PP wise but here is my first crack at it (not happy with colours etc yet)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-14-2018, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is my take on it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-15-2018, 01:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Using Photodirector 8, simple to use and mostly automatic!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-15-2018, 03:59 AM   #8
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That was fun! Darktable to Gimp on Ubuntu
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-15-2018, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Via Lightroom:

Not a lot of detail in the scene, unfortunately, due to sea spray/mist.
09-15-2018, 05:26 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Get back on your board fella!
09-15-2018, 06:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Processed to taste in DxO PhotoLab.

An estimated-15-minute job. Apart from PhotoLab's profile corrections for the K-1 / DFA150-450 combo (except for distortion, which didn't bother me at all), I mainly applied:
  • some localized SmartLighting (exposure adjustments),
  • added a little vibrancy and microcontrast, topped off by a dash of ClearView, to cut a little through the salt spray,
  • ever-so-slight, brushed-in, localized enhancements of exposure, sharpness, and microcontrast on the surfer and his board.
I guess the result is typical of my less-is-more and preserve-the-original-light-while-helping-the-viewer-to-see-what-I-saw approach to editing. Also, decided to refrain from cropping, since I came to feel that the other surfers and coastal detail provided context that adds interesting layers to the image. (As a result of resizing for attachment, some of the effect of my edits may be lost, I'm afraid.)

Cool shot BTW, although, if it was mine, I might still fret a little about lack of critical sharpness. But given the conditions, even with a faster shutter speed than 1/1600 sec and stopping down a tad, that probably would have been too much to wish for.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 09-15-2018 at 06:47 AM.
09-15-2018, 07:06 AM   #12
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good add on Sports photography thread. It's been awhile from my last entry in PPC.

09-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Nice challenge.

Here goes my take on this very emotional surfing moment.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by ddharriman; 09-16-2018 at 01:31 AM.
09-15-2018, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

I took out the bystanders, straightened the skyline the went to Nik and made an old film effect, finally added a shark as that's why he looks so shocked.

Last edited by tuggie76; 12-23-2018 at 01:41 PM.
09-15-2018, 06:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
y added a shark
Brilliant and well done.

D1N0 beat me to the 'back on board' idea (thankfully)... Thought about flipping him upside down, but decided he looks goofy enough as is...

(Intentionally left horizon uncorrected as it seems to add to the tossed around feeling of the image, imo)