Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #31
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 09-22-18 at 03:26 PM ----------

---------- Post added 09-22-18 at 03:32 PM ----------

Last edited by kevinWE; 09-22-2018 at 03:32 PM.
09-22-2018, 04:43 PM   #32
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by runswithsizzers Quote
So if my examples are not still lifes, then it must be due to my non-traditional subject matter? Or is it the missing table top?
IMO "Composition" in the case of a still life is the arrangement of the objects, as well as the observer's POV. One thing common to still life is that the objects only overlap or obscure each other to a small degree, with a single light source, or at least a strong light from one direction, and shadows, but the shadows do not usually obscure the other objects

I think non-traditional objects are fine subjects, I'm sure the "old masters" would have had iPhones, chainsaws, and chromed Keurig machines if those had existed back then, because they all have "form, colour, texture". I don't know that the surface is limited to a table top. I have seen still life paintings and photos using a lunch counter, or a work bench, I think the idea is to have a plane upon which the objects are arranged, and like the background is generally plain, maybe the table top (and background is supposed to form a negative space where the objects stand out?

What if the objects are larger than a table? Perhaps then a lawn would suffice as the flat plane. Personally, I would still want a background, like a shed wall, or a fence, or a woodpile, to separate the objects from the larger landscape of an outdoor shot.

Can a single object be used for a still life? I don't see why not, if it had proper form, colour, texture or shape, but then, IMO, it's more of a study of a single item.

Still life or not? [IMG][/IMG]

I don't think so, because another thing that seems to be common in a still life is that the POV is usually oblique, or slightly above the objects.
09-22-2018, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I don't think still life is that defined. Just google Dali Still life, or Duchamp still life, or Picasso Still life.
Even Rembrandt strayed. File:Rembrandt - Still-Life with Two Dead Peacocks and a Girl - WGA19253.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
09-23-2018, 06:54 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I don't think still life is that defined. Just google Dali Still life, or Duchamp still life, or Picasso Still life.
Even Rembrandt strayed. File:Rembrandt - Still-Life with Two Dead Peacocks and a Girl - WGA19253.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
Here's another link. It's a bit of a guide.
A Complete Guide to Still Life Photography

09-23-2018, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Here's another link. It's a bit of a guide.
A Complete Guide to Still Life Photography
Thanks for that excellent link which is especially good for lighting suggestions!

I did notice that article starts with the assumption that still life photography = table top photography.

Looking at the images posted in this thread, I would say some might be more accurately described as "close ups" because they include living plants / fungi. Others look more like "product photography" to me. Like still lifes, product photography is a type of table top photography with similar lighting requirements, but with different intent.

I still don't know how to classify shots like my wheelbarrow / tiller scenes, but it's hard to shoehorn them into the still life genre. I think I need a new genre.

Here is another one with more traditional subject matter, kinda, sorta on a tabletop, but perhaps disqualified because I did not have total control of the lighting?

Last edited by runswithsizzers; 09-23-2018 at 11:37 AM.
09-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #36
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Very informative guide, thanks.

After consideration of the examples, I think "still life" covers a broad spectrum, and includes product or outdoor photography, but the style of still life photo that appeals most to me are the photos that hew closest to those examples from painting. For example, this shot seems like a still life, having form shape, texture, single light direction and some shadow, and is composed obliqueliy:
[IMG][/IMG]
This shot, on the other hand, seems more like product photography, almost dead on compostion, multiple lights, minimal foreground or background.
[IMG][/IMG]

Of course, that is just my opinion.
09-23-2018, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did a series with a Kiddle doll a while back and some I consider still life enough and some I don't despite some being More still life.

Take out Kiddle and this is pretty classic still life.

without the flames thisis pretty classic still life.

This is Classic Still life yet I don't consider it still life at all because the anthropomorphic feel of the doll is so central.
09-25-2018, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ok, I leaned this pecan against the branch for this one

09-25-2018, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did this shot when I first received my sigma 70mm to test its sharpness. I hung some costume ladybug wing up behind it to fill the background void.

09-26-2018, 03:48 AM - 3 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

Just found this thread. Great shots by everyone so far.

Tim
10-04-2018, 09:34 AM - 3 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1 & K55f1/8 + Raynox 250
10-04-2018, 10:06 AM - 5 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
ok, I leaned this pecan against the branch for this one
Ha ha, I arranged the background leaves for this one.

You might remember this one.
10-05-2018, 04:40 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Pentaxian

Dead grasshopper glued to some decorative grass. Added thick monofilament line for the antenna. Taped the grass to a lawn chair so I could capture the sunset between my neighbor's houses.

Tim
10-05-2018, 06:21 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Dead grasshopper glued to some decorative grass. Added thick monofilament line for the antenna. Taped the grass to a lawn chair so I could capture the sunset between my neighbor's houses.
You are demented, dude! Interesting result though.
10-05-2018, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote

Tim
eeewwwww