Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 151 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great to have you back Aapo. I for one would be very interested to see some videos of your wonderful puppets!

09-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
. So what I'm looking at is one or two video/stopmotion/timelapse per week. would that be welcome? If not, I'll just post 'extra' and you can decide if you gonna look or not. But I'm in. Will decide about that lens later on tomorrow. (will be carrying 15-30 &70-200 still)
Sounds good to me. I might even try some more time lapse things if I can find the software I used to use for my new laptop...
09-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was just reminded that I was considering using the Theta S I purchased from SeveralSnakes. Using this might revitalize my lack of creativity, and encourage me to visit a few places I have been putting off.
09-30-2018, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Welcome aboard , why not, I will be looking forward to your efforts
Thank you

---------- Post added 10-01-18 at 08:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
Sounds good to me. I might even try some more time lapse things if I can find the software I used to use for my new laptop...
I’m planning to use both, incamera timelapse and my dedicated animation program.

10-01-2018, 01:08 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

It's been a long time since I've added to my Takumar collection, or been on this challenge. But when a Takumar 200/3.5 preset from the late 1950s came up for sale in a local camera shop recently, I couldn't resist. The lens combines a simple 4 element design, with an impressive collection of 18 aperture blades. It's a beast/monster.

The lens gets stellar reviews from owners, and some even claim it's the best of all Takumars, in terms of IQ plus bokeh from all those blades. So I'm keen to find out what the hype is about...and as I type this, I've never used the lens, except to check it works in the shop. It's not my favourite focal length, and without the challenge of this challenge, I'm not sure I'd use the lens as much as it deserves.

Just one caveat. I'm not going to risk using the lens in the rain, although arguably I could use it (with hood attached) as a canopy to shelter under. Also, where I live and work in London, the MFD/focal length of this lens will cause problems inside. As it inevitably rains here in the UK, I'll substitute a fast fifty when absolutely necessary, if that's OK.
10-01-2018, 01:24 AM   #51
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
Just one caveat. I'm not going to risk using the lens in the rain, although arguably I could use it (with hood attached) as a canopy to shelter under. Also, where I live and work in London, the MFD/focal length of this lens will cause problems inside. As it inevitably rains here in the UK, I'll substitute a fast fifty when absolutely necessary, if that's OK.
With long focal lengths I have used extension tubes to reduce MFD when needed to shoot indoors. Macro also gives you a lot of shooting possibilities.
10-01-2018, 04:28 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
For October I've decided to put this recent acquisition to work.
How are you finding it? I've just acquired one as well. Mine has a really strong chemical smell. Not sure if it's the lens cap plastic or if the previous owner stored it with something to cause the smell. It's pristine though.

10-01-2018, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Great to have you back Aapo. I for one would be very interested to see some videos of your wonderful puppets!
There will be some for sure
10-01-2018, 05:14 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
How are you finding it? I've just acquired one as well. Mine has a really strong chemical smell. Not sure if it's the lens cap plastic or if the previous owner stored it with something to cause the smell. It's pristine though.
I will be able to tell at the end of the month. Mine doesn't particularly smell except from the behind there is some smell. Probably the lube. Focussing is a but uneven, maybe it will improve with use. I like how close it can focus and bokeh is well behaved.
10-01-2018, 05:23 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I will be able to tell at the end of the month. Mine doesn't particularly smell except from the behind there is some smell. Probably the lube. Focussing is a but uneven, maybe it will improve with use. I like how close it can focus and bokeh is well behaved.
Ha! I never considered it may be the lube. There's a thought. Picked it up for next to nothing too, so a real find. It looks brand new. Focus throw is beautiful and, you're right, nice close focus.
10-01-2018, 10:52 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
With long focal lengths I have used extension tubes to reduce MFD when needed to shoot indoors. Macro also gives you a lot of shooting possibilities.
Good idea - thanks. The MFD of this lens is marked as 2.5 meters, so it needs some close focus help. I may also try the Raynox M250 on the end.
10-01-2018, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
It's been a long time since I've added to my Takumar collection, or been on this challenge. But when a Takumar 200/3.5 preset from the late 1950s came up for sale in a local camera shop recently, I couldn't resist. The lens combines a simple 4 element design, with an impressive collection of 18 aperture blades. It's a beast/monster.

The lens gets stellar reviews from owners, and some even claim it's the best of all Takumars, in terms of IQ plus bokeh from all those blades. So I'm keen to find out what the hype is about...and as I type this, I've never used the lens, except to check it works in the shop. It's not my favourite focal length, and without the challenge of this challenge, I'm not sure I'd use the lens as much as it deserves.

I think it is a great lens. Very sharp, but rendering can be a bit harsh in sunny conditions.
10-01-2018, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

I went with FA 35. have done this lens a while a go, but it is fun little lens so..game has begun.
10-01-2018, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll sit this one out. Win one for the team folks!
10-01-2018, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-1 & 31, last min decision. Safety shot just taken and uploaded to Flickr..
BTW I have Love, Hate, Hate relationship with this particular lens. I know its good, has nice bokeh, exceptional rendering, can be reasonably sharp, expensive, stupidly unbalanced and a lot of people on here either have one or would love to have one but but I just don't get it at times and will leave it in the bag while its sister the 43 and 77 get pulled out to play more often. This month is as much about me trying to figure out what the magic of the 31 is, as I don't get it.

Last edited by robbiec; 10-01-2018 at 04:00 PM.