Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 151 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 04:20 PM - 2 Likes   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never done this before, but I'm in with my Auto Chinon 50mm f/1.9. I think it was $16 from eBay including shipping about six years ago.

10-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I have Love, Hate, Hate relationship with this particular lens. I know its good, has nice bokeh, exceptional rendering, can be reasonably sharp, expensive, stupidly unbalanced. This month is as much about me trying to figure out what the magic of the 31 is, as I don't get it.
BLASPHEMY!!! Persecute, kill the heretic
(apologies to Monty Python)

Seriously though, I'd be very surprised if you can spend a month and not find some love for it.
10-01-2018, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
BLASPHEMY!!! Persecute, kill the heretic
(apologies to Monty Python)

Seriously though, I'd be very surprised if you can spend a month and not find some love for it.
Completely guilty as charged. For my sins I will attempt to spend a month with it without ignoring it.
10-02-2018, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I've never done this before, but I'm in with my Auto Chinon 50mm f/1.9. I think it was $16 from eBay including shipping about six years ago.
Welcome! You can't beat a nice cheap lens in my opinion. As long as it's sharp, easy to use and has nice colours...

10-02-2018, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
K-1 & 31, last min decision. Safety shot just taken and uploaded to Flickr..
BTW I have Love, Hate, Hate relationship with this particular lens. I know its good, has nice bokeh, exceptional rendering, can be reasonably sharp, expensive, stupidly unbalanced and a lot of people on here either have one or would love to have one but but I just don't get it at times and will leave it in the bag while its sister the 43 and 77 get pulled out to play more often. This month is as much about me trying to figure out what the magic of the 31 is, as I don't get it.
I'm being one of would like to have in my bag guys. So looking forward to this. I'm often looking at my FA 35 and thinkin how much better it could be...
10-02-2018, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Thor! I am sure you'll enjoy the experience, and I look forward to your photos.

The FA-77mm, how did I go so long without using it? I was in the backyard, and out for a walk in a park, and I'm having a hard time choosing just one shot for SIC. Only the first day, and I am convinced I have a month of safeties
10-02-2018, 05:53 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I'm being one of would like to have in my bag guys. So looking forward to this. I'm often looking at my FA 35 and thinkin how much better it could be...
I own both. The FA 35 is no slouch. Don't beat yourself up too much worrying over what could be.

10-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I own both. The FA 35 is no slouch. Don't beat yourself up too much worrying over what could be.
Deep inside I know that. But you know..let’s see when that new DFA 35 comes up. But for size and money FA35 is hard to not to like.
10-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Deep inside I know that. But you know..let’s see when that new DFA 35 comes up. But for size and money FA35 is hard to not to like.
Total agreement.
10-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Welcome! Glad to have you!

---------- Post added 10-02-18 at 09:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Hello all. After a long break from Single In, time for a comeback.
Welcome back!
10-02-2018, 11:33 PM   #71
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

looking for opinions/experience/hyperbole, etc...

I'm currently shopping for a good used camera body for use as an M42-only body - I've narrowed it down to either a K-5 II S or a K-3, because I like the pro- style body and features, plus it would use the same battery as my current bodies... but am thinking that a K-01 may be an option also...

and just to self-limit the ensuing discussion, I'm not looking at anything newer than a K-3, primarily because of it's intended use and budget...
10-03-2018, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
looking for opinions/experience/hyperbole, etc...

I'm currently shopping for a good used camera body for use as an M42-only body - I've narrowed it down to either a K-5 II S or a K-3, because I like the pro- style body and features, plus it would use the same battery as my current bodies... but am thinking that a K-01 may be an option also...

and just to self-limit the ensuing discussion, I'm not looking at anything newer than a K-3, primarily because of it's intended use and budget...
The K-5 series does not have focus peaking. That would be a deal-breaker for me.
I reckon the K-01 would be perfect. I really enjoyed mine.
10-03-2018, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I'm currently shopping for a good used camera body for use as an M42-only body
My go-to body for M42 lenses is my *istDS; I feel the rendering of the CCD sensor is more appropriate to the lenses, especially in the OOF areas. Not having to power an AF drive or manipulate aperture lengthens battery life somewhat, and rechargeable AA's are not logistically hard to manage.

However, I note your desire for focus peaking. Do any of the bodies with focus peaking suffer the aperture block failure? You might find a bargain there.
10-03-2018, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

You could try for a K-30/50/s2 with aperture block failure. They have focus peaking and would probably be pretty cheap. Since the camera doesn't need the aperture block with m42 lenses it really doesn't matter.
10-03-2018, 05:12 AM   #75
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
My go-to body for M42 lenses is my *istDS; I feel the rendering of the CCD sensor is more appropriate to the lenses, especially in the OOF areas. Not having to power an AF drive or manipulate aperture lengthens battery life somewhat, and rechargeable AA's are not logistically hard to manage.

However, I note your desire for focus peaking. Do any of the bodies with focus peaking suffer the aperture block failure? You might find a bargain there.
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
You could try for a K-30/50/s2 with aperture block failure. They have focus peaking and would probably be pretty cheap. Since the camera doesn't need the aperture block with m42 lenses it really doesn't matter.

I thought of the K-50/K-S2 and didn't worry about the aperture block issue, but the second set of batteries, etc is a pain I'm not looking to repeat - I shot with a K-50 for awhile as the second body to my K-3 and maintaining a second set of batteries is just inconvenient...

yeah, I know, it's a minor inconvenience, but I'm wanting to make the M42 experience as seamless as possible...