Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2018, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had good results with M42 lenses on my K-5, so I encourage you to look for a used one and go with it. I mostly use the optical viewfinder out of decades of habit so lack of focus peaking does not bother me.

If you can find a copy of the 17mm Takumar Fisheye, get it. I love my copy, I use it all the time on my K-5, and when I've rented the K-1, it has been exceptional.

10-03-2018, 05:46 AM   #77
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I've had good results with M42 lenses on my K-5, so I encourage you to look for a used one and go with it. I mostly use the optical viewfinder out of decades of habit so lack of focus peaking does not bother me.

If you can find a copy of the 17mm Takumar Fisheye, get it. I love my copy, I use it all the time on my K-5, and when I've rented the K-1, it has been exceptional.

all of that still an option... I was wondering if focus peaking is that big of a deal, since I'm not using it now....
10-03-2018, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I was wondering if focus peaking is that big of a deal, since I'm not using it now....
Except for the brief time I owned a Canon AE-1, the only SLR's I'd used were K-1000's, and I learned to appreciate their no-frills functionality. I accidentally dropped my Canon into the Persian Gulf, and went back to another K-1000, the lack of any automation or assistance made me a slower and better photographer. The K-5 was my first DSLR, and other than shooting AV, I don't use many other feature, I'm too lazy to RTFM. Still, as long as I have an OVF, a light meter and a good sensor couple to good glass, I'm happy.
10-03-2018, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

but am thinking that a K-01 may be an option also...
I love the results I get from the K-01/sensor, but for many MF lenses, especially outside, the lack of a Viewfinder is a PITA, even with back screen focus peaking, and I recommend you avoid. My K-01's focus peaking was a little erratic (comparing what I thought I was focusing on and how it turned out back at base), and I didn't feel I could rely on it.

The K-3 remains the best cropped camera I've used with M42 lenses. For what it does, the Sony A6000 is excellent value, with good focus and exposure support through the EVF...but disappointingly for me anyway, I haven't had much success using old lenses with the e-mount to M42 adapter, particularly near or closer to infinity.

Speaking of old lenses, here is a photo of the Takumar 200/3.5 I'm using this month. Thought I should get a few photos of it before the gold quality control sticker wears off! The lens, as you can see, is quite long, and it's the length (not weight) that causes the most problems hand held. There's a reason it came with a tripod collar.

Last edited by utak; 10-03-2018 at 10:40 PM.
10-03-2018, 06:39 AM   #80
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
I love the results I get from the K-01/sensor, but for many MF lenses, especially outside, the lack of a OVF is a PITA, even with back screen focus peaking, and I recommend you avoid. My K-01's focus peaking was a little erratic (comparing what I thought I was focusing on and how it turned out back at base), and I didn't feel I could rely on it.

The K-3 remains the best cropped camera I've used with M42 lenses. For what it does, the Sony A6000 is excellent value, with good focus and exposure support through the EVF...but disappointingly for me anyway, I haven't had much success using old lenses with the e-mount to M42 adapter, particularly near or closer to infinity.

I've been reading about A-body cameras also - NEX vs A, etc.... until more recent bodies, none had SR (or IBIS) though, correct?
10-03-2018, 06:50 AM   #81
Pentaxian

I've been reading about A-body cameras also - NEX vs A, etc.... until more recent bodies, none had SR (or IBIS) though, correct?
That's right, once you get to the A6500 you get IBIS, but it's a big step up in price. (Not sure about IBIS on all A7 bodies). The kit lens with the A6000, and some other Sony lenses have in-lens stabilisation (OSS). I've used OSS and non-stabilised lenses, and quite frankly the OSS makes no perceivable difference to me for stills. For video, OSS becomes more useful.
10-03-2018, 06:58 AM   #82
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
That's right, once you get to the A6500 you get IBIS, but it's a big step up in price. (Not sure about IBIS on all A7 bodies). The kit lens with the A6000, and some other Sony lenses have in-lens stabilisation (OSS). I've used OSS and non-stabilised lenses, and quite frankly the OSS makes no perceivable difference to me for stills. For video, OSS becomes more useful.

thank you - as I've said before, I'm not using focus peaking now, so don't feel that I am really missing out on it.... but am open to using it in the future....

10-03-2018, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I've been reading about A-body cameras also - NEX vs A, etc....
I'd love to pick up an inexpensive Fuji X-series body, but "inexpensive" and "X-series" don't seem to exist in the same universe....
10-03-2018, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #84
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

thank you all for the advice; I think I have talked myself out of a K-01, mainly due to a lack of viewfinder and the K-01's near-uselessness in bright sunlight.... I spend way too much time outside to not be able to see through the camera to focus and compose shots...

back to the hunt for a K-5IIS...

EDIT

hunt over - found a copy of a K-5 IIS with a shutter count of 281; should be here in a few days...

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 10-03-2018 at 01:46 PM.
10-03-2018, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Budget in an O-ME53 , cheapest and probably best accessory for a manual lens.
10-03-2018, 01:55 PM   #86
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote

agreed - I have one on both K-3's and have seen my keeper rate increase...
10-03-2018, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
agreed - I have one on both K-3's and have seen my keeper rate increase...
I wear glasses and I took mine off my K-3. I just couldn't love having to move my head around to see everything and it gave me a false perspective on my shots (making me crop more than I thought I would need to). On the other hand I also really don't love manual focus even with it on modern DSLR's.
10-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #88
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I wear glasses and I took mine off my K-3. I just couldn't love having to move my head around to see everything and it gave me a false perspective on my shots (making me crop more than I thought I would need to). On the other hand I also really don't love manual focus even with it on modern DSLR's.
as much as I enjoy the flexibility of AF on my K-3, the challenge of MF is even better....
10-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry peeps. I'm gonna bail. Enjoy.
10-03-2018, 11:11 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Sorry peeps. I'm gonna bail. Enjoy.
Shame! I was enjoying the pictures from that awesome lens...