Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 151 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2018, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #136
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not on a commenting mode today. For some reason blanc is all I manage to produce, so gave everyone a fave. I hope I'm more creative tomorrow.

10-27-2018, 01:00 PM - 2 Likes   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Funny thing going on today. I'm beginning to like my FA 35 again. it has many flaws compared to highly corrected lens stadard of what is going on now. And I did comparison shots to DFA 15-30 @30 mm and this FA 35. it does not do justification to this lens. Because it really shows it's age. Actually I will not pack this lens in my bag IF I do not think that it's special rendering will not be needed, which is quite rarely. (not so fond of 35 mm anyway, 30 or 40 is better to my taste, it is better on FF thou) What it does pack is quite unique rendering, which gives immediate flim like shoooting experience. you shoot wide open, have your target at the middle. Fringing and purpleish tone is there, compared to modern coatings.. it is not tack sharp even at f11(or 8 or 13). But it is good enough and has special glare. i was gonna give up at some point because of not having the 'feel' of 'Yes! and WoW!' what my modern lenses gives to me. i still have couple of my most special photos taken with this lens. Not great technically, but they have that feel in them what makes it good. Now I found it again. Might be that I am only who sees that, and that is partly because I can see them in full size on my computer, they do not look as good at flickr and especially at here at forums.

part of this thing here is that I have been, still am, lusting after that DFA*50 all of the sudden. Perfection, just like my DFA*70-200. And will be selling big part of my old lenses for that. This thing was on that 'list' too. Not so sure anymore. It will remain with FA 43 and 77.

And I have this thing out of the way when it is time to talk about our month with the lens of choise again. anyway, there is couple more days left. Have fun guys and gals!
10-27-2018, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
What it does pack is quite unique rendering, which gives immediate flim like shoooting experience.
I understand completely. I'm liking more and more the "film-like" feel of some vintage lenses. This month's Isco has been a great example of that kind of rendering.

---------- Post added 10-27-18 at 05:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Not on a commenting mode today. For some reason blanc is all I manage to produce, so gave everyone a fave. I hope I'm more creative tomorrow.
I hear you. I've not been a good commenter this month because I just got burned out and needed a break. I felt I was saying the same thing over and over again, and it became more of a chore than a joy. Feeling better about it now and hope to work myself in more consistently.
10-29-2018, 04:07 AM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
I

I hear you. I've not been a good commenter this month because I just got burned out and needed a break. I felt I was saying the same thing over and over again, and it became more of a chore than a joy. Feeling better about it now and hope to work myself in more consistently.

I know what you mean, I can only come up with so many ways to show my appreciation for what the photographer has achieved.

Now that the World Series is over, maybe I can get back to shooting and commenting., It has been a great year to watch this sport.

10-29-2018, 04:14 AM   #140
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Now that the World Series is over, maybe I can get back to shooting and commenting., It has been a great year to watch this sport.
That, Rob, is not an excuse! They have commercials when you watch those on TV. hint, hint.

If my hands shake too much, I can't always leave a comment, I'll fav a photo. I hope you all understand when I do that and why I do it. Essential Tremors is not fun!!
10-29-2018, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I know what you mean, I can only come up with so many ways to show my appreciation for what the photographer has achieved.

I've been a die hard Orioles fan since I was eight years old, nearly 40 years ago. I learned early that the Yankees are the embodiment of evil in the universe, and the Red Sox aren't far behind. This was the worst year to watch baseball in my lifetime. I've freed up plenty of time to shoot.
10-29-2018, 04:54 PM   #142
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Got nothing today. Arthritis in back hurting, no medicine to quell it til late after noon, fell asleep, just woke up.

10-30-2018, 10:40 AM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
That, Rob, is not an excuse! They have commercials when you watch those on TV. hint, hint.
Oh boy! When I visited U.S last year I can say that you guys have commercials, and then some!
10-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #144
Pentaxian

Second last day. STill pondering if I'll take next month or not. Definetly not going to participate both, single and daily...Had funny feeling of doing 70-200, but let's see. Couple more days to make up my mind..
10-30-2018, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #145
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I haven't decided yet but thinking newest Pentax FA 100-300mm. Since I have the Jeep and can go to the parks now.
10-31-2018, 01:25 AM - 3 Likes   #146
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I did a morning shoot to finish this month. The set up for the month was battle between M50/1.7 and M50/1.4. 1.7 was my first manual vintage lens and it's quolity cought me deeper into photography. Before it I mainly took shots on vacations and other special occasions. After I got it I started taking shots for the sake of shooting and also started to improve my knowledge in defferent aspects of photography. At the beginning of the month I didn't really know the differences between these two as I hadn't shot much with 1.4.

So how do they compare? In my opinion wide open goes for 1.4. It's sharper and has better wide open bokeh. At least when shooting close. I really don't want shoot either wide open to infinity

Stopped down sharpness gets better, but bokeh gets complicated. If there is enough difference between target and background lens privides nice smooth surface. If not, the bokeh gets easily too busy. So much that it's annoyed me much this month. I've ditched a lot of shots for bad bokeh. I find 1.7 much more consistent with its bokeh and therefore better for general shooting.

Rendition from 1.4 reminds me the M85/2. It's more delicate and has less contrast than 1.7. So for portraits 1.4 is better, but once again for general shooting and especially for landscapes I'd go with 1.7. Even more so if the focus is in infinity. 1.7 seems to work there much better. My best landscapes of the month with 1.4 has been taken so that the focus plane is closer than infinity.

1.7 seems to be at it's greatest at f5.6 - f8. I didn't quite grasp similar sweet spot with 1.4 and I used wider set of apertures with it. With 1.7 I tend to put camera on tripod and go for maximum sharpness. I think 1.4 also provides best sharpness at f8, but still I often opted to wider apertures for softer bokeh rendition.

If I didn't know the difference of these lenses in the beginning of the month, I think I have grasped now grasped the difference, but can't still say which one is a better lens. In truth I still think these perform pretty close to each other and one can be happy with either one. I think that, if you want a lens for close up bkeh shots or portrait work, go for 1.4. Else go for 1.7. It's better for landscapes and general shooting. Personally I think I stick to 1.7. I don't do much portraits and I do have M85/2, which is even better then 1.4 in its strengths. All this leaves quite a little use for 1.4 in my quiver. Current feeling is that I might sell it after FF round, but there is always a possibility that second round will chance my mind. I'm also eagerly waiting for December SIC with M50/4 macro which has the potential to steel the spot of fifty in my travel kit from 1.7.

1.4:

f2:

f2.8:

f4:

f8:

10-31-2018, 05:14 AM - 3 Likes   #147
Pentaxian

I started to write down some comments about the Takumar 200/3.5 for this thread, and they grew and grew. So much that I decided to post all my comments as a lens review, with some photos here: Takumar 200mm F3.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Anyway, in the short, the lens has a strong reputation and it doesn't disappoint. Excellent build quality, image quality and those 18 blades produce some great bokeh.

I’ve very much enjoyed returning to the challenge for this month after a long absence. Without the challenge, I wouldn't have used the lens nearly so much, nor tried out different compositions/styles/spirographs!

Many thanks for your company, all your great photos and comments. Cheers, Simon
10-31-2018, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #148
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
I started to write down some comments about the Takumar 200/3.5 for this thread, and they grew and grew. So much that I decided to post all my comments as a lens review, with some photos here: Takumar 200mm F3.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Anyway, in the short, the lens has a strong reputation and it doesn't disappoint. Excellent build quality, image quality and those 18 blades produce some great bokeh.
Great lens and great review. You produced plenty of beautiful shots with it this month. So many, that I will had to get that lens at some point to test it myself.
10-31-2018, 07:42 AM - 3 Likes   #149
Pentaxian

I had some what eye opening month. wonder how different y view would have been IF I would not own any of these most recent DFA lenses. Age really shows. I did lot of landscapes and may be that they were not the best scenerys, but still I felt little underwhelmed. Might be that I also did too much Pixel Peeping. Regardless. Going to do some sort of 'christmas' sale and this lens might not be safe. It also is that 35 mm was not my most favourite focal lenght.

Basically there is lot to like with this lens. Size, quite good performance, especially stopped down. Bokeh is also quite good with K-1. Cons are fringing, coma, halo, little swirl(matter of taste), and border sharpness wide open. If you stop it down even, little there comes hexagon highlights, and ofcourse field curvature. So, know these things and it will serve you well. For it's prize, it is great. These highly corrected modern lenses comes with 3-5 times better quality, size and prize tag. Having that said, there was couple of times when I really enjoyed to shoot with this little lens. And many days when I did not, like today it just felt obligationary shot for today.

Anyway! Thank you all for this month!
couple favourite shots

10-31-2018, 08:50 AM   #150
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, I still have the last day of the month to go. Over here, it's only the 31st of October.

My shoot at the doctor's office puttered out because I didn't feel right going over there during business hours, too much going on then, minor patients going in and out that I couldn't photograph, and workers busy, not having time to pose for photos.

I'll have to find something else for today's shot.