Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 224 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2018, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Beer Barrio in Wilmington, NC
A popular spot. Always a good sign of a quality establishment. I like the birds eye view with the all the highlights from light bulbs. Adds kind of a lightening bug aspect.

09-28-2018, 08:10 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Beer and Bacon BBQ sauce
That's cheating, lol
09-29-2018, 02:08 AM - 4 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably the only contribution I can make to this thread- you know, pastors are not supposed to be seen whetting their whistles. I can just imagine the gossip- " Hey, there goes the pub pastor" . These at a shopping mall I was at last week, so I have an alibi . In-house brewery, and hugely popular, according to the manager whom I spoke to when I requested permission to take a few shots. About 6 home brews on the menu, along with a few not-so-popular brews.

09-29-2018, 04:51 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Probably the only contribution I can make to this thread- you know, pastors are not supposed to be seen whetting their whistles. I can just imagine the gossip- " Hey, there goes the pub pastor" . These at a shopping mall I was at last week, so I have an alibi . In-house brewery, and hugely popular, according to the manager whom I spoke to when I requested permission to take a few shots. About 6 home brews on the menu, along with a few not-so-popular brews.
Cool shots - love the copper brewing equipment they have, makes it more appealing to the eye. Most I've seen here are stainless steel.

09-29-2018, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Beer and Bacon BBQ sauce? Nectar of the Gods.
It is good stuff. What they do is bring you some to try with your meal, then you are hooked.

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
That's cheating, lol
How can it be bad with beer and bacon?
09-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your secret is safe with us. I was able to take a few shots of some fermentation vats at the Pelican brewery but did not get one worth posting. You did a much better job.
09-29-2018, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Today at Birdsall House Peekskill NY:

Ithaca Glass - Sloop Beer = All NY

Chinon 50/1.7 on K-50

09-30-2018, 06:25 PM - 3 Likes   #23

For a short period of time back in 1987 I worked for a boutique winery in New York state called West Park.

In the first shot, the assistant winemaker is sterilizing French oak barrels with sulfur dioxide.

Second shot, Chardonnay grapes picked in the cool of the morning, waiting their turn to go into the press.

#3, The wine maker is adjusting the press at crush. Isn't it great when management provides the best tools to work with?

#4, The owner of West Park Winery, pouring samples of his - may I say "our" - Chardonnay.

All scanned from slides exposed in my old Pentax MX.

Last edited by runswithsizzers; 09-30-2018 at 07:37 PM.
09-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by runswithsizzers Quote

For a short period of time back in 1987 I worked for a boutique winery in New York state called West Park.

In the first shot, the assistant winemaker is sterilizing French oak barrels with sulfur dioxide.

Second shot, Chardonnay grapes picked in the cool of the morning, waiting their turn to go into the press.

#3, The wine maker is adjusting the press at crush. Isn't it great when management provides the best tools to work with ?

#4, The owner of West Park Winery, pouring samples of his - may I say "our" - Chardonnay.

All scanned from slides exposed in my old Pentax MX.
These are beautiful, and quite interesting - nice story from beginning to end result. Great contribution, cheers!

Ps - how was the Chardonnay?
09-30-2018, 07:37 PM - 2 Likes   #25

These are beautiful, and quite interesting - nice story from beginning to end result. Great contribution, cheers!

Ps - how was the Chardonnay?
Thank you for your comment. As I recall, the occasional taste I was able to enjoy at work was excellent! In the shot below the winemaker has provided a sample on our lunch break (the empty glass in the middle of the table is mine )

But the retail price was above my pay grade for regular consumption.

---------- Post added 09-30-18 at 09:47 PM ----------

Probably the only contribution I can make to this thread- you know, pastors are not supposed to be seen whetting their whistles.
Fear not pastor, didn't Jesus turn the water into wine?
09-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
the retail price was above my pay grade for regular consumption.
I honestly believe this is a great example/reason why in the US the craftbeer boom came to be. Unlike wine, beer is rather more economic to brew.

I have to dig up my Rioja shots (just pre-pentax - point and shoot), good memories.
09-30-2018, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #27

I honestly believe this is a great example/reason why in the US the craftbeer boom came to be. Unlike wine, beer is rather more economic to brew.
True, beer is more affordable. In the kind of bars and restaurants I frequent here in SW Missouri it's uncommon to see a beer much over $6, and even more rare to find a glass of wine much under $6.

But if I'm getting food, I'll usually order wine. The craft brewers really need to get past this over-hopped IPA craze. Most food I just can't enjoy after my taste buds have been paralyzed by an over-hopped craft beer. And what is up with all the fruit, vegetables, coffee and spices they want to put in beer? That is unnatural like itty bitty dogs. The craft brewers can create all the Frankenbeer they want, but I hope every brewery, large or small, will keep at least one traditional ale or porter on tap.

On the right, that's a 90 Shilling Ale from the O'Dell Brewing Company in Fort Collins, Colorado. I can't identify the pink stuff my wife is drinking. (sorry, this shot is from my Fuji)
10-01-2018, 06:52 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Today at Birdsall House Peekskill NY:
Interesting color brew. Not familiar with the term "sloop" beer.
10-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

#3, The wine maker is adjusting the press at crush. Isn't it great when management provides the best tools to work with?
Seems much more efficient than Lucy Ricardo's feet.
10-01-2018, 07:07 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the kind of bars and restaurants I frequent here in SW Missouri....
I lived near Blue Eye Missouri about twenty years ago. I'm not a fan of the overly hoppy beers either. I favor a beer with a more malt forward flavor. Pelican Brewery out here in Oregon does a great job in not overdoing it with their IPA's.