Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2018, 12:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP Challenge #271 - The Relay Runner

Hello and welcome to the Pentax Forums Post-Processing Challenge!

For those that are new around here the challenge is based on a person being selected from the previous challenge to provide a full size photo (typically in both RAW & jpeg). The host provides any details and expectations on the challenge like what they are looking for, total number of submission per person taking the challenge or maybe a 'just go for it'.

Usually the challenges run for about a week or so with timings aimed to be flexible as we all have lives outside the forums. At the end of the challenge the host reviews the submissions and chooses their favourite. That person then becomes the next host for the following challenge. Some hosts also provide PP feedback too but this is an individual thing so it's welcome but not a must for the host.

Hopefully you take the opportunity to join us and see how many interpretations can be made from the one image.

Some details about this image: From Little Athletics Queensland 2013 South-East Queensland Regional Relays. This was the start of the U13 Boys Distance Relay race. There are 4 different relay legs: 200m, 200m, 400m, 800m. There were 2 U12 runners, including my son, the 1st runner (normally an U12 400m runner), "running up" in this older age bracket in the two 200m legs to make up a 4-boy team. (They set a new LA SEQ U13 record in this event.)

K-5, DA*60-250/F4 @ 80mm FL, 1/1000s, f/6.3, ISO160, -1 EVcomp.

There are two shots. You can use either. The 2nd shot is either 4 or 6 steps later than the first. (The EXiF shows 1s later.) Unfortunately, this was a big meet and the trackside was crowded so I couldn't position myself any further forward in front of the runner or with the sun behind me.

The embedded JPEGs (no processing) and the PEFs:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/n11pngxk7y8hju1/K5_89781.PEF

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/vr6m8kve2w7rzbo/K5_89784.PEF

The red tartan track material reflects coloured light up onto the runner. It confused the AWB. I couldn't get a decent colour rendition when developing the PEFs so I B&W them. Perhaps you can do better.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 09-29-2018 at 01:12 PM.
09-29-2018, 02:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My initial PP attempt. Nice image to work with!

09-29-2018, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went ahead and combined them:
10-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks to our last few hosts for stepping up to keep these challenges going.

Last edited by JHfwp; 11-17-2018 at 05:39 PM.
10-02-2018, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

10-03-2018, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

A couple from me.

Tim
10-03-2018, 10:56 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
A couple from me.

Tim
- Godzilla I presume!
10-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice work, Todd! That's more or less the look I was going for originally, but I couldn't pull it off.
10-03-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm enjoying the contributions so far. When the contest ends I'll be asking a few questions on how some contributors got their result.

I've posted part of another image from the start of this race in the General Talk forums. I've got an anatomy query about a prominent inner-thigh muscle in the image. So it's not a photography-related, but it has got me curious. I tried to look it up myself, but the muscles in the human thigh look complex in the diagrams and I'm not sure that I've identified the correct one. If you've got any medical knowledge talk a look.

Anatomy Question - PentaxForums.com

Dan.
10-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The winner is D1N0. I like his idea of combining both images. It's a pity I didn't have a 3rd image, either between the other 2, or to the right of them - a 3-runner sequence would have been cool.
The colours are acceptable, but still a bit wonky according to my memory, but remembrance of colours is unreliable.
Notice the section inside the yellow rectangle in the top LH corner. This section isn't in either image and has been fabricated. Since it's in the background, it's not that significant and you probably wouldn't notice the deception during a casual inspection.

D1N0, would you like to explain what processing steps you performed?

Two honourable mentions. The shadowed side of the runner and the reflection off the track made the colours difficult. Lighten/correct this and it tends to make the track too pale. But taking the runner out of the background means than the runner can be rendered more satisfactorily - perhaps it's just not having the track colour appearing around him.

Glenn5995
"A runner in the clouds" - an aspirational representation? Or an allusion to Hermes/Mercury?

todd
Todd can you explain how you produced this effect? It's a pity that there's not more motion blur apparent for the left hand and for the head.That would have intensified the impression of speed.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 10-16-2018 at 03:32 PM.
10-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations D1N0! Thank you dosdan for hosting.
10-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
D1N0, would you like to explain what processing steps you performed?
I simply used merge to panorama in photoshop and content aware fill to fill out some white spaces (hence the weird section where photoshop mashed something up). Hard to get good colours in this pic because of the harsh sunlight. I problably exaggerated them a bit as I usually do to give the image more pop.
10-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Hard to get good colours in this pic because of the harsh sunlight.

Typical of Brisbane. Brisbane has only half the cloud cover of say London. From World Weather Online | World Weather | Weather Forecast

Queensland, the Australian State of which Brisbane is the capital city, has the official title of "The Sunshine State" to differentiate it from the other states. Queensland has the highest rate of melanoma in the world because so many people here are UK & Celtic descendants. From Melanoma facts and statistics - Melanoma Institute Australia

Australia and New Zealand have the highest melanoma rates in the world with Queensland incidence rate of 71 cases per 100,000 people (for the years 2009-2013), vastly exceeding rates in all other jurisdictions nationally and internationally.
Dan.
10-07-2018, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The winner is D1N0
Congrats!

Todd can you explain how you produced this effect? It's a pity that there's not more motion blur apparent for the left hand and for the head.That would have intensified the impression of speed.
Initial processing in Rawtherapee then exported to Gimp. Two layers in Gimp and ran the Gimp 'Zoom Motion blur' filter on the top layer. Messed around with the filter coordinates until I got something I liked well enough, then blended that layer in to the bottom layer with a mask. I did try it with more blur in the hand and head but it was distracting to my eyes.