Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2018, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PP Challenge #273 - Pine Avenue Pier, Long Beach CA

Welcome to Challenge #273. The photo was shot from the Pine Avenue Pier in Long Beach, California. Parker's Lighthouse Restaurant and the Queen Mary are the subjects. The Camera was a K3 and the lens was a DA* 16-50mm.

As I shot this in brackets, I will provide you with the three brackets. You may use one, all or any combination you wish.

I currently have a very busy work schedule. I am going to try and end this on Thursday October 25th, but may need to adjust a bit as it gets closer.

Let the processing begin!

JPG Previews:

a

b

c

DNG - a
DNG - b
DNG - c

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A note to the winner: Please copy and post this info into the next challenge.

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

10-19-2018, 04:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am always having a hard time what to do with these night shots.
10-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Nohing fancy, but I went with a colour and b&w conversion

Last edited by tuggie76; 12-23-2018 at 01:41 PM.
10-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

didn't stop when i should have but that's the way it often goes with me

10-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
10-25-2018, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well its time to bring this to a close.

There was light participation for this challenge. I enjoy night photography, I apologize if it isn't to everyone's liking.

D1N0 - You brought the only somewhat abstract method to the challenge. You shifted the focus to the Queen Mary

tuggie76 - You have two entries, one color and the other B&W. The color entry is the brightest of the entries, unfortunately that introduced some noise into the night sky. Because of this I like your B&W entry a little better. Nicely sharpened with good contrast.

tood - You are a long time supporter of these post processing challenges and your contributions are always appreciated. I like the excellent balance you obtained with bringing out the details, while still preserving the darkness of the night.

noelcmn - You maintained the darkness of the night in your contribution.

Judging these is always a challenge to me. I probably should just select based on my subjective opinion of the contributions, but I also like to keep people involved and hopefully encourage participation by rotating it around and therefore because D1N0 just hosted the previous challenge and #266 and todd challenge #269 & #265, I am going to look to one of the other two for the next host. But then again tuggie76 hosted #267 and noelcmn #263, but between tuggie76 and noelcmn and think I will select tuggie76's B&W contribution to secure the honor of hosting #274.

Thank you everyone!

Here is what I came up with for the image:

10-26-2018, 01:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks Glenn. A good challenge and constructive advice.

Unfortunately I'm away from home till Monday, if you can wait till then, no problem, otherwise if someone wants to jump in feel free.

10-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Glenn- lovely image to work with. I can't jump, so i'll desist from hosting. Anyone else?
10-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well....that didn't work. D1N0 or todd, would either of you be interested in hosting #274?
10-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Unfortunately I'm away from home till Monday, if you can wait till then, no problem, otherwise if someone wants to jump in feel free.
QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn5995 Quote
Well....that didn't work. D1N0 or todd, would either of you be interested in hosting #274?
I am going to abstain in part due to my track record of hosting with un-interesting images to work with. Not bashing myself but I am a chronic over-thinker and get locked up in the selection process and it's a proven that me hosting is a sure guarantee that a small number of people will participate.

As Tas and I also briefly discussed a couple rounds ago, the relatively lower participation levels for this challenge might suggest some breathers here and there are in order. So, I say let's see if tuggie76 is up to it next week. If something comes up for you then tuggie, then just let me know and I'll put up the next round. I would have picked tuggie's bw for the win too, by the way. Oh and D1N0 is of course free to override what I just wrote and host the next round if he wants haha...
10-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I am going to abstain in part due to my track record of hosting with un-interesting images to work with. Not bashing myself but I am a chronic over-thinker and get locked up in the selection process and it's a proven that me hosting is a sure guarantee that a small number of people will participate.
With only 4 participants for this challenge, I guess we are the reigning champs for this category! I am fine with waiting for tuggie76.

Any thoughts on the reason(s) for the declining interest and suggestions to keep this challenge going?
10-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn5995 Quote
Any thoughts on the reason(s) for the declining interest and suggestions to keep this challenge going?
The only thought I've had is maybe the week long challenge duration is too long. For the last few months or so I've been participating semi-regularly in another ppchallenge on another photo forum (mu-43.com) and the rounds there last only a few days. They still have the same 'challenges' of hosts/judges sometimes going off grid or the winner taking a longer time to get the next round going, but those things are par for the course and no big deal. They also have a runner up and the host will just ping the runner up if the winner doesn't respond, which is what we do here too... But there does seem to be a better rhythm to the activities because things are changing up quicker. At least I like it that way. I don't know for sure though because there have been times here where we've had good participation too... I brought up the suggestion to shorten the week long duration some years ago here and the idea was not well received, which is primarily why I've stayed quiet about it until now.
10-27-2018, 07:10 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
The only thought I've had is maybe the week long challenge duration is too long. For the last few months or so I've been participating semi-regularly in another ppchallenge on another photo forum (mu-43.com) and the rounds there last only a few days. They still have the same 'challenges' of hosts/judges sometimes going off grid or the winner taking a longer time to get the next round going, but those things are par for the course and no big deal. They also have a runner up and the host will just ping the runner up if the winner doesn't respond, which is what we do here too... But there does seem to be a better rhythm to the activities because things are changing up quicker. At least I like it that way. I don't know for sure though because there have been times here where we've had good participation too... I brought up the suggestion to shorten the week long duration some years ago here and the idea was not well received, which is primarily why I've stayed quiet about it until now.
That would be okay with me. Normally the entries come in early and then taper off, however this round D1N0 was the only entry for awhile. Back in #250 I tried to change things up a bit and introduce a voting of sorts by considering the number of likes to determine the next host, but it was not received well either.
10-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #14
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no idea how to get more participants - heck, I don't even know whyever I'm not participating more than every other year However, I have no problems with the previous winner being the sole judge. I think it helps keeping things easy-going and informal. The only downside is that the process requires quite a bit of time from the judge.
10-29-2018, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

There's nothing anyone here can do about it, but the challenges are often difficult to spot among the many photo catalogs in this particular forum. Maybe giving the cataloged photos a forum of their own would help draw attention to the challenges???

Here's a link to this week's current challenge now that I've bumped this thread above the newly posted one.