Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2018, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #76
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Merry Christmas to all, if I haven't been too naughty, I hope to have a K-1 under the tree !
Same to all my SIC friends, hope your Christmas wishes come true.

I have no hopes of getting a K-1 or K-1ll under my tree this year. Maybe Ricoh will surprise us with something new next year and something I can afford to buy myself. LOL After the Jeep purchase, I can't afford even a KP. LOL

Last edited by photolady95; 12-25-2018 at 07:22 AM.
12-25-2018, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

A fun month , Merry Christmas to all
12-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #78
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Merry Christmas to all of my fellow SIC mates...
12-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #79
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Merry Christmas to all, if I haven't been too naughty, I hope to have a K-1 under the tree !
So were you naughty or nice?

I got my K1ii from black friday. I have agreed that it works as my birthday, fathers day and Xmas present. Sometimes you have to combine to get the good stuff

I never have patience to wait for the right day with presents

12-25-2018, 08:47 AM - 2 Likes   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
So were you naughty or nice?

I got my K1ii from black friday. I have agreed that it works as my birthday, fathers day and Xmas present. Sometimes you have to combine to get the good stuff
I was nice enough, the K-1 is unwrapped and already in use. It is also my present for the next several gift-giving occasions. I am willing to delay gratification and combine gifts. THe last time I did something like this, however, I wound up with a Mustang in my garage.
12-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #81
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I never have patience to wait for the right day with presents
You know what my daughter's boyfriend says about Patience? He says he's not a doctor so he has no patience. And I have no patience either, if I want something, I want it now. I don't want to wait to get it. Case in point, my Jeep.
12-26-2018, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
January thread is up:

Single In - January 2019 - PentaxForums.com

12-27-2018, 05:05 AM - 2 Likes   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I took the K-1 out to one of my favorite events, the Christmas lights at he Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. I could easily fill the rest of the month with pictures form last night. used the K-1, and I am amazed at how well the IBIS assists in low light long exposure situations.
12-29-2018, 08:46 AM - 2 Likes   #84
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

End of the month feelings combined with end of the year feelings. 363/365 done in 2018. I'll ride the last two days to the finish, but don't promise anything spectacular, but maybe weather or inspiration surprices me

Feels odd that there is no new lens to wait for. Kind of miss SIC already, thought I'll stick to January break.
12-29-2018, 09:40 AM   #85
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think my yesterday's shot was my end of the month's blowout. I usually save the last day for that, but I don't think I'm going to get anything more these last three days. I got up this morning to go pick up my prescriptions and Jeep wouldn't start, dead battery, got a new one at cost of $148. and change. Ouch! Sure wasn't expecting to fork over that money just after Christmas. Now I'm too tired to go anywhere. LOL
12-30-2018, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #86
Loyal Site Supporter

End of the month feelings combined with end of the year feelings. 363/365 done in 2018. I'll ride the last two days to the finish, but don't promise anything spectacular, but maybe weather or inspiration surprices me

Feels odd that there is no new lens to wait for. Kind of miss SIC already, thought I'll stick to January break.
Day 364 was a ripper photo for someone having the end of month blues, roll on 365
12-30-2018, 01:51 AM   #87
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have yesterday's but haven't uploaded it yet. Got tired last night decided to upload today.
12-30-2018, 01:58 AM - 2 Likes   #88
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Just so you all know, should any of you make a thread, and someone else has already made thread in the group, let me know via PM and I can remove the one you made. Adam, our administrator and owner, gave me that access a few years ago out of courtesy for our group.
12-31-2018, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #89
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I am sure glad I stumbled across the Single in challenges, since joining in the fun, I have had the chance to play with some of my old favourite lenses and experience the views shown to me by others around the world, thank you all for the faves and comments on my photos and apologies for the somewhat strange comments I may have left on your photos, I tend to see the world a little differently than most. In regards to the lens I chose for December, it was an old favourite that I am glad I have become aware of again. Yes I know the term pixie dust is used often , however this FA* seems to have it.
I have had this lens since new back in the 90's, I used it with the LX and Z1 cameras back then and it was my normal walk around lens, once digital hit the focal length didn't fit with my shooting style and I forgot about this wonderful lens. Now with the K1 released it makes more sense once again. The wide aperture compared to the kit lenses is more useful and the lens has the ability to focus quickly, if a little on the noisy side due to using the screw drive mechanism.
Low light works well

Dreamy bokeh can be easily obtained

and sharpness is there too

An old friend welcomed back into my photo world, if you come across one, don't hesitate, grab it and enjoy.
01-01-2019, 02:11 AM - 2 Likes   #90
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

M50/4 macro

It has been a great month with M50/4 macro. It's been pleasure use and more versatile than I expected. Also I have managed to pull thru full year in SIC in 2018 without missing any days. Of course there is a set of safety shots needed to make this happen, but still I feel good on my achievement. Time to take rest in January and play with K1ii before I finish my APSC round of Pentax M series primes.

Weather in December has been a challenge. A lot of cloudy days and lack of daylight limits the shooting possibilities. I planned macro for this month on purpose, as I thought I might need it's ability to make just about anything into a shot. In macro mode this lens works well. Sharp details in focus and I like the bokeh this lens produce. Wide open bokeh balls are round, but become hexagonal stopped down as is typical for M series lenses. Wide open performance was a great surprice and it came real handy. Due to low light and quite slow lens, I shot a lot wide open this month. More than ever, think. Still the best sharpness can be found between f5.6 and f11. I tried to go for landscapes every time weather allowed and M50/4 macro didn't let down. I have nothing to complain on it's performance when set on infinity. The negative I have to say about this lens are the starbursts and flare in the highlights. You can live with them, but they sure don't make the shots better. If you dont have direct light sources in the night shots, then this lens work well.

M series have 2 macro lenses M50/4 and M100/4 and 4 lenses with 50mm focal length. Of these two macros I think I find 50 better. It's sharper, smaller and more versatile, thought you have to go closer to the subject in macro. With 50 you can shoot anything from macro to landscapes, but 100 I found to struggle when focused closer to infinity. The battle for fifties is much more difficult. I think the f2 is the weakest and I already have decided that I like f1.7 over f1.4. Between f1.7 and f4 it's about what other lenses I have and what I'm expecting to shoot. I think f1.7 is a bit better for general shooting and landscapes, but one real macro lens is good have in travel bag. Time will tell which one gets more use. Based on my APSC round these are the fifties I'll keep, but I'll recheck after I've shot them in FF in single in challenge.

f8:

Wide open:

f5.6:

Wide open:

f8:

f8:

Panorama of 10 vertical shots at f8: