Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2018, 01:05 AM   #16
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by obsolescence Quote
I call mine "Frozen Lake" -- processed in Photoshop CS6, "lake" reflection added by selecting, transforming by inverting vertically, using Topaz Studio "Impressionist" filter.

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to get the image in this message.

frozen_lake_flt

frozen_lake_flt
Thanks for your entry! Most people upload to Flickr (or some other hosting site) and link to the image from here, or you can upload to your Gallery here on the forums (as I have done here) and paste the BB code provided when you view the image there.

See Adam's thread on the topic for more details: How to upload photos

12-12-2018, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is how I'd do itif I'd taken the picture and was posting it - so no great imagimation or technical whizz-bangs
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-12-2018, 03:58 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
This is how I'd do itif I'd taken the picture and was posting it - so no great imagimation or technical whizz-bangs
That's the best by far in my opinion - it started out as white-on-white - now I can appreciate the texture of the subject. I don't much like whizz-bang, myself, I see things like post-processing as kind of like theatrical lighting or a woman's make-up: if you can notice it as a separate thing, then it's actually detracting from the overall effect. I like to watch the morning news program on TV to get the weather forecast - but I often find that I've missed the weather because I was too busy with my own thoughts, wondering why the weather-girl has centipedes on her eyelids (exaggerated false eyelashes). Too much whizz-bang means only whizz-bang, sacrificing the beauty of the subject to "art". Well, I think you've effectively brought out the beauty of that stand of trees, there, FFKing. Good work.
12-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #19
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, 21 or so hours to go. Not that there isn't enough contributions to go through already!

12-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #20
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
PPC279 is now closed for further entries. I will get back with a decision later tonight.
12-13-2018, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #21
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had some good laughs going through the contributions to PPC279! Wonderful to see so many entries. But also very hard to make a pick!

Just about the only thing I don't like with the Pentax-A 20/2.8 is that it has a fall-off towards the edges on both sides, quite visible in shots like this one. Especially so since it also influences the white balance slightly. In this image I also find it hard to balance between bringing out some detail while still keeping the fog foggy.

Umm, and I guess my sensor wasn't too clean

dms
The warming up of the colours fixes the blue tint from my underexposure and also gives a slightly vintage feel, I think. I do like the crop in the second one, bringing more attention to some of the details. The smaller snow-covered twigs do deserve a closer look.

Glenn5995 1st entry
Made me smile - actually quite a nice Christmas card! And even without the text and borders, cropping off the edges does solve the slightly problematic underexposure of the edges. Also good detail without making the shadows too harsh.

todd
Monochrome efficiently fixes the colourcast, and in the first and third I also think the edges are quite good. I prefer the detail in the second one, though, even having some structure in the snow on the ground. The tighter crop makes the fall-off look more like a traditional vignette here.

aaacb
Nice crop! The March of the Ents of the North - Lord of the Rings meets Game of Thrones I like the resulting "wedge" of trees.

Glenn5995 2nd entry
When going over the top, go way over! I actually think you've managed to single out the tall tree very nicely with the rays of the flaring star - even without the decoration. Good fun!

tuggie76
Another one drawing a good laugh. I imagine this one involved some masking, and well done. It's a technique I have little experience with.

D1N0
Also efficiently doing away with the colour cast with b&w. Very good detail, especially in the snow on the ground. Cropping off the less interesting stuff on the sides works well.

Fauxton
Using the uneven exposure to turn day into night (or at least Northern afternoon) - clever! Makes it look like it's mid December rather than end of January, but I like the effect. The second one has more of a (late) blue hour feel.

Glenn5995 3rd entry
Starry, starry nights.... Hah, that's some transformation. Well masked and de-fogged. I think the blue tones match the starlight well, too. I do suspect that this part of the night sky might not be visible this far north, though As with your other edits, moving the tall tree off-centre works well.

noelcmn
That fixed the colour differences across the frame! This comes straight out of a fairytale, with that otherwordly glow. I also think it looks like all the trees are moving towards the brighter centre.

atupdate
Too bad you couldn't find a skiing Godzilla - but this one works, too. Those photo bombing downhill skiers...! Very nice contrast and detail, too, Also a better placement of the tall tree than in my original frame.

obsolescence
Wonderful creative twist! I think the reflection is very well and convincingly made. Less emphasis on fine detail brings forward the shape of the thicket as a while.

ffking
Looks good without technical wizz-bangs Good contrast and detail, and realistic "wintery" lighting. Again, I like seeing some shape in the snow on the ground, something I find hard to do and keep things looking real.

jcomley
More brightness and contrast in the centre brings forward the tall tree and creates some nice depth in the image. The brighter light makes it look like the sun is just about to break through the fog.

I'll pick @Glenn5995 for the next round. I really like the processing and cropping of that first entry. The frame and text fits the season well, too

Runner-ups are D1N0 and dms' second tight crop.

Thanks a lot to all the participants! Great to see so much creativity and different ideas unfold from a few trees in snow and fog.
12-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'll pick @Glenn5995 for the next round. I really like the processing and cropping of that first entry. The frame and text fits the season well, tooRunner-ups are D1N0 and dms' second tight crop.Thanks a lot to all the participants! Great to see so much creativity and different ideas unfold from a few trees in snow and fog
Thanks for hosting this one savoche, and also the constructive critiques.

12-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ditto that. And congrats Glenn. Well earned.
12-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Add another ditto, and congrats to Glenn5995.
12-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well this is a surprise, I certainly wasn't expecting this! Thank you savoche for hosting. Let me see what I can come up with for the next challenge. This is a work weekend for me, so be patient.
12-16-2018, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Challenge #280 is ready for you to showcase your artistic genius!

Challenge #280 - Merry Christmas! - PentaxForums.com