Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2018, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #1
Unregistered User

Domestic Bliss

Odds and ends around the house, with a focus on everyday utility (present, past, or future).
Things people use in their everyday life at home, things they use to make their lives more comfortable and pleasant, or to satisfy their daily personal needs.

12-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every seen this thread:

Everyday Objects - PentaxForums.com
12-18-2018, 05:00 AM   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Every seen this thread:

Everyday Objects - PentaxForums.com
Yes, but this is more specific. This is about "keeping house", so a picture of a chandelier or box of wrenches wouldn't fit, but a picture of a potato peeler would. What I'm hoping for, in particular, is pictures that show an interesting perspective on household objects people take for granted when cooking, shaving, cleaning the floor, etc. The sort of thing one might acquire at "Bed, Bath, and Beyond", as opposed to something he could pick up at a hardware store. A "Martha Stewart" kind of object.

I have a theory that good photographers see things in a fundamentally different way than other folks do, they have the kind of perceptual selflessness that makes them stop and say, "Hey, that looks interesting!" when the average K-Mart shopper wouldn't pay any attention at all. So when you take a picture of a bit of a pattern on a dinner plate because it looks interesting to you, I'd like to see it, too. The magic of good photography is the ability to make other people see what you're seeing by trapping and preserving the light that illuminates the object as you're seeing it.
12-18-2018, 05:12 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Okie dokie. I wasn't sure what you meant. Now I know. Carry on, nothing to see here. Well, maybe there is something to see here. What you planning to do with all those knives. LOL

12-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
Unregistered User

Okie dokie. I wasn't sure what you meant. Now I know. Carry on, nothing to see here. Well, maybe there is something to see here. What you planning to do with all those knives. LOL
Interesting question.

And accepting, for the sake of argument, your assumption that they're MY knives, here's the answer, from left to right and top to bottom:

5" fixed-blade sheath knife for skinning animals, particularly deer
stainless steel thin hatchet for splitting the sternum of larger animals, particularly deer
Kyoto-made specialized paring knife
Kyoto-made specialized 10" chef's knife
Chinese vegetable cleaver (great for melons & squash!)
Kyoto-made specialized vegetable slicing knife
7" rigid boning knife
12" quartering knife (for cutting up the joints of large animals)
14" Fibrox general purpose chef's knife
Kyoto-made specialized tanto (sushi, etc.)

And mustn't forget the butcher's block, a most important part of the collection. The wrong block or cutting board will ruin your knives. Also the sharpening implements, not pictured here. See, that's part of why this is an interesting topic - one can infer so many things from what's in the picture - if I've got good quality knives, then I've got to have a good way to maintain them, eh-wot?

Those of us who actually eat what we kill, and otherwise enjoy good food and are willing to use the proper tools to make the food good (and enjoy the process of preparing and cooking excellent meals) require a good set. I also have a box of hammers in my garage (dollies, welding, ball-pein, carpenter's, hatchets, etc. in an assortment of sizes), and a small collection of different kinds of firearms to meet various requirements. But the hammers and firearms don't belong in this thread. The right tool for the job, eh? After all, you wouldn't use a fisheye lens where a telephoto is needed, let alone serious portraiture, right?
12-18-2018, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll play!
Old Can opener

And something that sooner or later becomes a necessity- Bottle opener- here in demonstration with a bottle of peanut butter. I'd go nuts if I can't get the peanut butter bottle open
12-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #7
Unregistered User

Noelcmn: love those pictures, the aged finish on the can opener, and the background below the peanut butter, especially.

Here's a couple more:

Last edited by Unregistered User; 11-19-2019 at 04:07 AM.
12-20-2018, 01:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you!

Here's some creativity with forks

And a collection of antique forks I inherited.

Antique cutlery is very popular at Auctions, where I saw these
12-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Interesting question.

And accepting, for the sake of argument, your assumption that they're MY knives, here's the answer, from left to right and top to bottom:

5" fixed-blade sheath knife for skinning animals, particularly deer
stainless steel thin hatchet for splitting the sternum of larger animals, particularly deer
Kyoto-made specialized paring knife
Kyoto-made specialized 10" chef's knife
Chinese vegetable cleaver (great for melons & squash!)
Kyoto-made specialized vegetable slicing knife
7" rigid boning knife
12" quartering knife (for cutting up the joints of large animals)
14" Fibrox general purpose chef's knife
Kyoto-made specialized tanto (sushi, etc.)

And mustn't forget the butcher's block, a most important part of the collection. The wrong block or cutting board will ruin your knives. Also the sharpening implements, not pictured here. See, that's part of why this is an interesting topic - one can infer so many things from what's in the picture - if I've got good quality knives, then I've got to have a good way to maintain them, eh-wot?

Those of us who actually eat what we kill, and otherwise enjoy good food and are willing to use the proper tools to make the food good (and enjoy the process of preparing and cooking excellent meals) require a good set. I also have a box of hammers in my garage (dollies, welding, ball-pein, carpenter's, hatchets, etc. in an assortment of sizes), and a small collection of different kinds of firearms to meet various requirements. But the hammers and firearms don't belong in this thread. The right tool for the job, eh? After all, you wouldn't use a fisheye lens where a telephoto is needed, let alone serious portraiture, right?
Well explained. Thanks. I'll see if I have anything like that around here. I'm sure I have many things of this sort in our many drawers of accumulated kitchen tools of my mom's.
12-23-2018, 06:07 AM   #10
Unregistered User

Well explained. Thanks. I'll see if I have anything like that around here. I'm sure I have many things of this sort in our many drawers of accumulated kitchen tools of my mom's.
Great idea! Antique shops! I know of one that's huge with all sorts of interesting junk in it. I'll take the camera next time Her Ladyship wishes to "go antiquing".

On another note, anyone who's wondered why I've been losing weight recently might consider what my dining room table looks like - I got no place to eat!
12-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #11
Unregistered User

Holiday "DAY-core".
01-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #12
Unregistered User

Teacup. Faint grid pattern on the cup is from early morning sun projecting shadows of the window screen.
01-27-2019, 08:19 AM   #13
Unregistered User

decorative arts (initial experimentation with Irix "Blackstone" 11mm f/4 lens).
12-06-2019, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Electric Oil Lamp

A sympathetic restoration, to breathe new life into it.

12-08-2019, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Lamplight

Do like a good lamp sitting in the corner of room...