Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless the weather changes between now and the end of the month, I'm out. I have not the proper clothing to even roam our yard. No heavy coat to keep me warm and I refuse to shoot in 60 degree weather, with only a sweater to keep me warm.

01-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
60 degree weather
That's 15 Celsius. The temperature in my house at night. A rain coat over the sweater should do
01-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Unless the weather changes between now and the end of the month, I'm out. I have not the proper clothing to even roam our yard. No heavy coat to keep me warm and I refuse to shoot in 60 degree weather, with only a sweater to keep me warm.
You could set up an indoor studio.... Or shoot through the window. We have sleety snow falling at the moment... And temperatures of about 2°C or about 35 F.
01-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If I had a rain coat, which I don't I could do that own. Plus I weigh less than 100lbs, I get cold easily.

I have been shooting around the house but through windows isn't ideal here. I don't have the room I used to have with the pretty clean glass.

Last edited by photolady95; 01-18-2019 at 03:37 PM.
01-19-2019, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I noticed someone is offering an FA-77mm for only US $550. That is an incredible price, $100 less than what I paid a few yeas ago. I can't say enough good things about this lens, even as a novice portrait photographer, it totally rocks, and works well for any sort of detail work, it's faux macro!
01-20-2019, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I noticed someone is offering an FA-77mm for only US $550. That is an incredible price, $100 less than what I paid a few yeas ago. I can't say enough good things about this lens, even as a novice portrait photographer, it totally rocks, and works well for any sort of detail work, it's faux macro!
Hmm I have one that I might try for next months single, could be a nice change from the fisheye, thanks for the suggestion
01-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A long day at work and it is cold tonight, so no photography occurred. I will make amends by catching up on commenting on some of the great shots you all have posted in the past few days.

---------- Post added 01-22-19 at 20:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Hmm I have one that I might try for next months single, could be a nice change from the fisheye, thanks for the suggestion
Yes, February here makes for dreary landscapes, the FA-77mm could be put to use either for street photos, or for indoor still life shots.

OF course, your hemisphere offers much more scenery this time of year.

01-26-2019, 09:38 AM - 2 Likes   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no SI February yet, isn't there? I somehow consider joining once again. For the first time in about 3000 yrs....
01-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #54
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
There is no SI February yet, isn't there? I somehow consider joining once again. For the first time in about 3000 yrs....

haven't seen it yet.... I would imagine any day now...
01-26-2019, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ask and ye shall receive ....

Single In - February 2019 - PentaxForums.com
01-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
Ask and ye shall receive ....

Single In - February 2019 - PentaxForums.com

Thank you!
01-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I left my camera in the office, and now the building is closed due to a power outage! So it goes.
01-31-2019, 04:24 AM - 4 Likes   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

Well another month has come to a close, I had regretted choosing this SMC F 17-28mm Fisheye zoom after a couple of days, a one trick pony with limited scope for a whole month of photos. Well how wrong I was, sure, there were days when nothing seemed to pop into the photos other than my feet and camera strap dangling into the shot, but when things worked out, interesting subjects or nice light, well this lens was fully up to capturing the shot. The wide end of the zoom was my most used, so that the fisheye effect was pronounced, however when zoomed in to the 28mm end the fisheye effect was almost hard to recognise. The only real issue with using the lens is the lack of close focusing ability, 45cm sounds close, but with a fisheye lens that is probably not close enough. I did notice that when zoomed out to 17mm there would sometimes be 2 dark corners in the frame on the K1. I presume that the sensor was moving down a little with gravity when the camera was in the portrait orientation. Easy to fix with a very small crop. This is a lens that I would recommend to all as a keeper
These were some of my favourites from the month

Last edited by garywakeling; 01-31-2019 at 04:47 AM. Reason: adding photo
01-31-2019, 05:08 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do love the DA 40mm LTD on the K-1, it is a great lens. Sadly, it took some damage about 10 days ago, so I had to use the Da 40mm XS, which is no hardship for me. In any case, both lenses performed admirably on the K-1.
02-07-2019, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #60
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

shame on me - I completely spaced-off my end of the month review...

Mamiya Macro Sekor 60mm f2.8, January 2019

What a lens - this is a lens I've been interested in since I began working with M42 lenses (not too long ago) - it gets rave reviews everywhere I've read, so I kept an eye out for one in a price-range I could swallow and waited..... finally, a BIN on eBay turned up (for less than $200) and I bought it...

all metal and glass, so it is definitely a substantial lens on the front of the K-5 IIs, but not any more so than any other film-era macro... it natively produces a true 1:1 macro, without any adapters, is a preset-M42 mount, and you can usually find it in one of two flavors: Mamiya or Yashinon Tomioka; this is also a Tomioka-designed lens... six-bladed iris that will produce hexa-bokeh, etc...

this lens renders colors beautifully, creates smooth/creamy bokeh (except with specular highlights), and is a joy to use.... the lens does not, however, like strong light sources pointed down the barrel - you'll get flare of all sorts and loss of contrast...

take a look:

definitely worth a look if you are into M42 lenses or even a film-shooter with an older camera body...

the rest of the month with the 60/2.8:

Single In Challenge - January 2019 | Flickr