Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2018, 03:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single In - January 2019

Welcome everyone to the Single In January 2019 Challenge!

Theme days:

Monday, 7th January: OUTSIDE THE WINDOW

Monday, 14th January: BACKLIT

Monday, 21st January: B/SELFIES

Monday, 28th January: METAL

Aim of the Game:To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these won’t be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and with regular commenting, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun. You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographer’s parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).

This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. The FAQ - Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Video below was created by patjp

Attached Images

12-26-2018, 03:51 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
definitely in.... no idea what lens yet...
12-26-2018, 03:53 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Maybe, and maybe I will do better this month. As Pepper said, no idea which lens yet. I got the new 18-55WR last month. Perhaps that would be good to use. I could use it in the house if I couldn't get out.
12-26-2018, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it's time for a break. December is my 13th month in a row. If my previous break is any indication I'll be back in February.

12-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I think it's time for a break. December is my 13th month in a row. If my previous break is any indication I'll be back in February.
13 months, try 10 years, then you can say it's time to take a break. I started playing this SIC in 2010. Off and on but some months I went all month, some months I got sick and had to drop out or it got cold and I had to drop out or I was without wheels and had to drop out, but I'm still here plugging away.
12-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Essayons!
12-26-2018, 09:37 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I am in with something different hopefully

12-27-2018, 01:32 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in. Thinking about my recently acquired A 35-105. Is it as good as everyone says... Or the SMC Takumar 35 or the SMC Takumar Zoom 85-210...
12-27-2018, 01:50 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
13 months, try 10 years, then you can say it's time to take a break.
Haven't been in PF even the half of that and much less since my first SIC. We'll see as the time goes by

But personally I prefer to step down for a month from time to time, rather than missing days on the months I'm in. So far I've full record from the 15 months I've been in. I'd like to keep it that way.
12-27-2018, 04:10 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I have been in SIC for 5 years now. I am not sure of the lens, but the K-1 makes shooting with old glass a new experience, so I'll be revisiting the collection.
12-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Haven't been in PF even the half of that and much less since my first SIC. We'll see as the time goes by

But personally I prefer to step down for a month from time to time, rather than missing days on the months I'm in. So far I've full record from the 15 months I've been in. I'd like to keep it that way.
Most of my missing wasn't my fault. This last month was weather related, and lack of proper clothing to get me out in that weather, no coat. In October and November, I still trying to get well, from my sickness from being at my cold grand daughter's house. Of course I missed May, June, and July, because of illness.
12-28-2018, 08:20 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

M150 is on the way. Gave up the hope to find it in Finland and got it from PF member. Now that my intented 17 M series prime lens collection is complete, I'll think I finish my APSC round in February and March with M150/3.5 and M35/2.8. Then the 17 lenses in FF within the next 2 years or something like that.

That, of course, if LBA allows me to keep my hands of the 3 remaining M series primes

I'll be back.
12-29-2018, 06:05 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've a DFA* 50 that is seemingly glued to my K-1 plus I need / want to get more involved with my photo hobby. I'm in

I feel like elaborating a bit more. I got this a few months back as an early birthday present (Dec 11th) and it sat in its box waiting patiently, I lie of course, it was taken out a couple of times for a couple of test shots but wasn't used in earnest. My birthday was on a Tuesday and I spent the day pottering about doing F all. Work then took the rest of the week I think and we flew to Tenerife to visit my dad for Christmas. It is nicely built by in large but the hood feels flimsy and it has sharp edges at the front. Balance wise on a K1 sans grip is goldilocks for me. Left hand cradling lightly and right hand in grip and while you know it is near enough 2 kilos, it just feels rock solid. Optically I must confess not getting to grips with it yet, for sure it has resolution to spare but at wider than f/2.8 it highlights and will punish you for inaccuracy.

Last edited by robbiec; 12-29-2018 at 01:09 PM.
12-29-2018, 06:09 AM - 2 Likes   #14
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I told myself that I would do an 'easy' month for January.. meaning, pick a lens that was a bit less demanding than the last couple of months....

then this Mamiya Macro Sekor 60mm f2.8 arrived yesterday and began singing her siren song...
12-29-2018, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm going with a fully automatic zoom lens - the FA 28-90 f/3.5-5.6. Used it for a parade about a year and a half ago, and it performed well at that time (although I really haven't used it since). It plays nice with the Godox TT350P that I got for Christmas, so I'm expecting to take plenty of flash shots in January (both good and bad).

That being said, I'm going to miss the Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f/1.4. This has become one of my favorite lenses - there's just something about the rendering that I really like.