Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

January 2019 Film Shooters Challenge

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

If you are shooting film cameras (Pentax and non-Pentax welcome) we have a monthly challenge for you. We’ve been going since June with the challenges listed below, and we need to decide on our January Challenge. If you would like to participate, you’re welcome to pitch ideas. List them in replies to this thread.

Be sure to join the “Film Shooters Challenge” Social group here:

Film Shooter Challenge - PentaxForums.com

The group is positive and constructive and welcome to everyone shooting a film camera from 110 to large format. (Though most shooters are using 35mm cameras from various manufacturers.

Previous Challenges:

June 2018: Telephoto Lenses
July 2018: Wide Angle Lenses
August 2018: Extreme ISO
September 2018: Consumer Grade C41 Film
October 2018: Chrome (Slide) Film
November 2018: Black and White film
December 2018: Pick One (single camera, lens, and film)

12-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's probably too late to limit the film selection, so how about some other options?
a. Limit to a focal length? (Ie, 200mm). Looks like you've already kind of been down that road, but not quite so specific.
b. Limit to a specific subject? Architecture, Landscapes, Macro, Portraits/People?
c. Limit to a technique? Slow shutters, perspectives, dark scenes. This would be kind of hard, but tossing it out there.
d. Wide open lens month?

I'm open to about anything, even specific films if you don't mind a late start.

Question:. How much film are you all using for this challenge?
12-27-2018, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think C has some interesting possibilities—motion blur is one that comes to mind, however, it also sounds more challenging. If we did something like that, it will be much harder to finish a roll. Wide open might be easier, all it requires is a darker scene, or a really slow film. I was shooting nearly wide open in bright daylight with RPX 25 and a 2 2/3 orange filter.

Subject matter could be interesting too, but I’d be a little hesitant to pick subjects that some people can’t or don’t do. (I don’t know anyone that would agree to portraits, so I’d have a hard time doing anything portrait related unless I paid someone.)

Edit: I think the quantity of film varies from shooter to shooter. I try to complete 1 roll of 35mm a week, but if I’m shooting medium format, I usually finish a little more since I get 10 or 15 shots on a roll.
12-27-2018, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I'll join this month too.
Wide open seems interesting, though it'll limit the film or the time of shooting. Limited film stock is no problem for me though.

12-27-2018, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We’ve done a bunch of film stock specific challenges (b&w, chrome, cheap color, extreme iso) and while I enjoy those, I think we should explore other themes types if possible. I’d be up for “wide open”, but I’d also like to hear from @twilhelm and @timw4mail since they are regular participants.

I was also thinking of long exposures, since I recent bought some Fuji Acros (the no-longer-made film with no reciprocity issues.) however that may be much more challenging for others, and besides, I would still need to get a couple of ND filters to make it work, unless I do night shots.
12-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I was just tossing out suggestions, so if you can think of anything better I'm all for it. I'll give anything a go. Except "leave your lenscap on" photography. I have already been down that road before.
12-28-2018, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you @abruzzi for the thread. I've been slammed at work the past couple of weeks.

I'm all for a wide open lens month. For December I shot all month with my Voigtlander Bessa L, and the only lens I have for it is the 25mm color skopar, so I'm about done with wide angle for a bit.

I've also got a mix of film I need to use, especially the couple of rolls of chrome film I have, my chemistry won't last much longer.

@jcdoss I try to shoot a roll each week, it makes life easier for me. But I roll most of my own black and white film, so a roll of 18 exposures is easy. A couple of times when work gets busy, I'll use a 36 exposure roll for two weeks (did that to end the month of December).

12-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

@twihelm, 15-20 frames per week sounds right for me too, but I'm not rolling my own yet. I hanker for a bulk roll of Vision3, but I need to use what I got first. It's taking forever! Thanks!
12-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
@twihelm, 15-20 frames per week sounds right for me too, but I'm not rolling my own yet. I hanker for a bulk roll of Vision3, but I need to use what I got first. It's taking forever! Thanks!
I’ve been looking into buying some “shorts” from people I know that do movies. I can get 1000’ roll of Vision for a good price, just have to figure out the re-rolling part.
12-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I’ve been looking into buying some “shorts” from people I know that do movies. I can get 1000’ roll of Vision for a good price, just have to figure out the re-rolling part.
Depends on your bulk loader, but these should probably fit:

35mm 2" Film Core - Christy's

You’ll just need to find a way to spin the core. It could be done by laying both on their side on a flat surface then spinning the take up core with a tool of some sort.

EDIT: when I was a projectionist, I’d have to assemble a full movie from 5-8 2000 foot reels, and I used a rewind table similar to this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SPECO-Systems-LP-271-Theater-Film-ReWinder-...gAAOSwMVdYIRG6

Last edited by abruzzi; 12-30-2018 at 08:12 AM.
12-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Depends on your bulk loader, but these should probably fit:

35mm 2" Film Core - Christy's

You’ll just need to find a way to spin the core. It could be done by laying both on their side on a flat surface then spinning the take up core with a tool of some sort.

EDIT: when I was a projectionist, I’d have to assemble a full movie from 5-8 2000 foot reels, and I used a rewind table similar to this:

Vintage SPECO Systems LP-271 Theater Film ReWinder Winder Reel Winding Table | eBay
This gives me ideas

Looks like everyone is good with a month of shooting wide-open!
12-30-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

That's not much of a challenge this time of year

I don't have much motivation to shoot this time of year, though.
12-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got my LX loaded with a roll of Ektrachrome E100 and the FA Limited 31 mounted. Just waiting for the new year to start...
01-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

So, wide open it is.
And happy new year everyone.
01-01-2019, 10:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Given my mostly outdoor shooting, I’m trying to figure out how to bring Sunny 16 down to Sunny 1.4. Initially, I have loaded some very old expired Delta 100 that I’m going to shoot at EI25. That should get me in the ballpark on a camera like my SuperProgram that can do 1/2000. I have a 3 stop ND that will fit on my Bronica and a few rolls of RPX25 and PanF+ 50 that should get me down to 1/500 or less for the slower leaf shutter camera.