Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #61
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
battery grip:

thinking of adding one to either my K-3 or K-5... or both...

any opinions or experiences you'd like to share?

01-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
battery grip:

I have one for my k-3. I have never really used it. I don't get the point.
01-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #63
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

battery grip:

I think a grip can improve the handling a bit when a flash is mounted (I have a Metz 58). Probably the same when shooting hand-held with heavy lenses, and of course if you shoot a lot in portrait orientation.

I don't really do any of those things, so my grip sees very little use. I didn't actually buy it either, the seller just included it because he couldn't find the camera's USB cable...
01-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #64
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

thank you, both...

primarily, I'm considering one to improve the ergonomics of the body..

I find one or even two fingers hanging off the camera, and switching to use portrait orientation is difficult at best...

01-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #65
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I find one or even two fingers hanging off the camera, and switching to use portrait orientation is difficult at best...
The grip does make for a more comfortable, umm, grip. It all comes down to a matter of preference. Some swear by the grip and leaves it on most of the time. I don't mind too much not having room for my pinky, at least not as much as I mind the extra bulk and weight of the grip. Same reason I'll probably never get any of the f/2.8 DFA zooms, either, simply too big for my taste.
01-17-2019, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

thank you, both...

Since I learned to shoot portraits using a Yashica Electro CC 35 and then a Nikon Nikkormat FT3 - a grip was never an option and I just never got into it when they became an option.

The K-3 has such a good grip already (for landscape) that I don't really notice any value for adding the grip. BTW the grip can be used without a battery in the camera if you want to keep the weight down - no battery life advantage at that point but no additional battery weight either.
01-17-2019, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

battery grip:

I bought one for my K5 a few years back and "loved" it. It definitely improved the ergonomics, and seemed to keep the K5 powered on forever. The grip also has a fitted space to store a spare SD card and that saved my skin on several occasions. But it does add bulk - and have I bought one for the K1? Nope. With the K1's increased bulk and dual card slots, I make do with just carrying a spare battery.

01-17-2019, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
battery grip:

I bought the Pentax one when I got my K3 but didn't like it. It made the body feel clumsy and heavy to me and didn't really make portrait any easier. Battery lasts forever anyway.... So I sold it. Try it and see for yourself with one of the cheap aftermarket ones. I think it's a matter of personal taste...
01-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly, even on my most intense day of shooting in a week of daily shooting, I have never had to recharge or swap batteries in the K-5 more often than every 72 hours. The only reason I'd consider a battery grip is for the ergonomic benefits, or if I was shooting video, or a lot of high speed multiple frame shooting, etc, the could place a very heavy load on the battery. The great thing Pentax did was use the same battery for the K-1 and the K-5, so I have 4 batteries total.

We had snow today, so I may have gotten some nice shots of snowflakes falling on the landscape, and tomorrow AM might reveal a winter wonderland. I'll go to sleep soon and get up early to capture it, and upload everything to catch up on the past few days..
01-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #70
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
BTW the grip can be used without a battery in the camera if you want to keep the weight down - no battery life advantage at that point but no additional battery weight either.
this is exactly what I'll be doing - I don't need the extra battery, just the ergonomics....
01-18-2019, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

Talking of batteries, was getting cabin fever so I went for a drive and found myself in Buxton, it's even snowing a bit. In the interest of traveling light I had the gr, with a flat battery. Disaster!

01-18-2019, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graeme83 Quote
Talking of batteries, was getting cabin fever so I went for a drive and found myself in Buxton, it's even snowing a bit. In the interest of traveling light I had the gr, with a flat battery. Disaster!
I believe in that case it's the grrr
01-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Anybody trying for the Lunar eclipse tonight? Pretty much total cloud cover here and I don't think its subject to change.
01-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graeme83 Quote
Anybody trying for the Lunar eclipse tonight? Pretty much total cloud cover here and I don't think its subject to change.
Sadly, it's not visible here, and a bit far to travel , especially with weather vagaries. Good Luck!
01-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I wasnt already dragging my butt... I'd consider it but its wickedly cold here, and I had to work a trade show today... that just knocks it out of you...

Here is the data for my area:

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Total lunar eclipse visible
Magnitude: 1.1953
Duration:
5 hours, 11 minutes, 33 seconds
Duration of totality:
1 hour, 1 minute, 58 seconds
Penumbral begins:
Jan 20 at 9:36:29 pm
Partial begins:
Jan 20 at 10:33:54 pm