Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pklax Quote
It's inspiring to see some truly amazing photographs. I look forward to many more people sharing their best images.

It was one year ago that I bought my first digital camera, a K70. While my photo excursions have been few I'm learning a lot and having fun. Here are a few images that I'm proud of.

Wow! Neat shots. Thanks and look forward to more.

12-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #17
Forum Member

Thanks for the kind words!
12-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Northcoastgreg, great photos but 19! That bridge in the mist really strikes me.
Thanks. And you're right about the 19. That's too much. I didn't realize I had that many. I'll have to trim some out.
12-30-2018, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Haffinatt: That first landscape reminds me of all the shots you have shown here. I want to be there, I want to see what you see. Thanks.
Thanks for appreciation! as for seeing what I see, if anyone from the forum wants to visit Romania I will be happy to act as a guide.

12-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Thanks for appreciation! as for seeing what I see, if anyone from the forum wants to visit Romania I will be happy to act as a guide.
Some of your mountain photos from the last year were pretty amazing.

I think it is hard too, when you live in a particular area to see new things to take photos of. I know I feel as though I get into a rut some times.
12-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Some of your mountain photos from the last year were pretty amazing.I think it is hard too, when you live in a particular area to see new things to take photos of. I know I feel as though I get into a rut some times.
Thanks. The country has potential which I haven't been able to fully exploit so far, there are wonderful areas where I didn't travel almost at all. Unfortunately public transportation is very bad (especially the trains) and somehow I made it to 38 without having a driving license, so it's not so easy for me to travel here. Still, if anyone feels like visiting we'll work something out
12-30-2018, 05:10 PM - 14 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Wow doesn't a year come round quickly?It doesn't seem like five minutes since the Best of 2017.

K5ii and DA16-85WR(mostly)

12-30-2018, 06:26 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Love the shots of your personal trainer.
12-31-2018, 01:55 AM - 17 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Really enjoy seeing all the great photos on this threat. It's easier for me to find my own favourite K-1 photos by month, so here goes, with some commentary.

January - Starting the year with a swirl. Birthday glitter and a Helios 44-2

February - It doesn't snow much in London. This is Chiswick House. K28/3.5

March - Hardly took any photos this month , so here's a replacement from a lens I must use more in 2019. S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5.

April - The Roman caldarium at Aquae Sulis, Bath. DA10-17

May - Takumar 58/2. Acquired in 2018, still not sure whether I like the images from this rare Sonnar design lens (vs other 50/55mm lenses). This is my favourite so far.

June - Cat phobias. It's funny, whenever I post a photo of our cat on Flickr, I lose some followers, immediately. But she's got such beautiful eyes, I can't stop photographing her. K55/1.8.

July - M50/1.7.

August - Tried numerous angles of this fence collapsing into bokeh with different lenses. This came out the best IMO. Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50/1.8.

September - Wheels of time, inside a carriage clock. DA 35mm Macro

October - A new lens for me; heavy, but a stunner. The 18-bladed preset Takumar 200/3.5. Participants on the Oct Single in Challenge will know I spent quite a long time trying to produce spirograph effects with the lens. The same scene/distance, on the left stopped down and on the right, wide open.

November - A celebration of sorts, my 100th Explore on Flickr - if you include an Explore that was subsequently banned by Flickr as it looked like a promotional shot for a Pentax Cameras book! Super-Takumar 85/1.9

December - Some festive bokeh. DA 35mm Macro.

Last edited by utak; 12-31-2018 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Changed photo...
12-31-2018, 02:47 AM - 15 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the risk of being greedy (I'd have never made a good editor - it's just lucky that not all my favourtes are on Flickr ) here's part II

12-31-2018, 12:23 PM - 13 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This was not a staged shot. Someone just put a chair out there one day and I was lucky enough to stumble across it before the next big storm ushered it into the land of memories.

"Chair on the rocks"

"Western Seagull". Larus occidentalis, practicing yoga (?!?!?)

A juvenile "Brown Pelican", species Pelecanus occidentalis, braving the blowing sand on the beach.

"Good to the last drop". A study in bokeh. K-70 + M50 f/1.7 at the local taproom.

"You've got to love to fish!"

"Sunset and flag 2"

Like many others here, I am blessed with some furry supermodels in my home and I have a hard time NOT photographing them!
"Princess Misha"

My beloved house panther.

This stick is about the size of your little finger. See the spider?!? The tiny drop of dew in the upper right, hanging from a strand of web? When I took this photo, I hadn't even noticed it!

One of our residents.
01-01-2019, 08:07 AM - 15 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

For various reasons, I shot a lot less in 2018. In fact, I published less than half the number of shots from 2017 to my Flickr stream. I hope to shoot a bit more in 2019, but as such, doing a "10 best" for 2018 doesn't make much sense to me, as it would amount to almost 25% of my published 2018 output...! However, I did manage a few shots that I'm especially proud of, so I would like to share them as well as a litte bit of backstory about each one:

#4:

Note that this isn't a Pentax shot, and - egads! - it was shot on full auto! But since late 2017, myself and my wife have got ourselves into cycling, and especially cycle touring. This culminated last September with a three-week exploration of Scotland, and this photo of my wife climbing out of Bridge of Balgie both encapsulates what was a fantastic moment for us, and is, IMHO, a decently nice cycling travel photo, a genre that is quite new to me...

#3:

Usually, long-legged green flies are fairly sensitive to flash. They don't necessarily fly off, but they'll suddenly move to a different area of the leaf they are perched on as soon as the flash fires. So I was especially happy when I encountered this one, who seemed moderately content to let me fire off a few frames before moving. It did move ever so slightly, so stacking the shots wasn't easy, but achieving this short focus stack, with a low perspective and a nice background, makes it one of my proudest shots of any year. IMHO, it nicely renders this tiny insect's majestic beauty and, for lack of a better term, its "long-legged-ness"..

#2:

In 2016, I had spotted and photographed a very peculiar and quite striking damselfly at the Montreal Botanical Garden. It was an (IMHO) amazing metallic red/purple color. I saw just the one single individual, and it remained a bit of a mystery. It appeared to be still teneral - a word used to describe adults that have recently molted into their adult form. During this stage, the colors of the insect can be different from those of an older adult. It's still unclear to me just how long this can last, but it can be as short as a few hours and certainly no more than a few days. It appeared that I had been lucky, but I wasn't sure just how lucky...

So in 2018, around the date of my 2016 observation, I managed to spend three long outings at the Montreal Botanical Garden, looking to see if I could spot and photograph these arresting insects again. And I did! I saw literally dozens, and managed quite a few good shots! My favorite of the bunch is the one above. Again, low perspective, a nice background, and, IMHO, a nice sense of three-dimensionality. (Went back a couple of weeks later, and saw none with that amazing red/purple. They had all assumed their final coloration.)

#1:

Getting into macro, I've admired the work of quite a few amazing photographers. One of these is Edward Nurcoombe, aka Eddie The Bugman. To me, Eddie's most fantastic shots are his damselfly portraits. I've been trying to get a similar shot for a looong time, and I've shot many damselfly portraits, but I could never quite get the angle required to get the "Eddie look". Well in 2018, a damselfly finally agreed to play ball with me! It was perched in a position that made it possible for me to get the angle needed, and my approach was slow enough (and it was calm enough) that it did not fly away. I remember a cyclist passing by as I was on my belly in the grass by the side of the path, and now I wonder what he made of that strange sight, but at the time I was just worried his passing would spook the insect! Thankfully, he was on the opposite side of the path, his passage didn't spook the damsel, and I carried on shooting. The shot above is the result, and I'm quite proud of it!

On a sadder note, Eddie The Bugman hasn't posted any new content to either Flickr or Twitter since 2015. He appears to have fallen off the Internet. I hope he's OK, and any news would be welcomed...

Last edited by Doundounba; 01-01-2019 at 11:06 AM.
01-01-2019, 08:51 AM - 11 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I spent the first 4 month so of the year in one of the least photogenic and more restrictive parts of the planet where I did little shooting, and it was hard to get back in the groove when I returned. Below are the shots that are my favorites for a variety of reasons. Local Architecture
[IMG][/IMG] ANZAC Day [IMG][/IMG] Spying on Mr Jefferson [IMG][/IMG] Moon and Hawk [IMG][/IMG] This lady was not shy about her love for her Mustang, nor about having her picture taken. [IMG][/IMG] "I don't know what the world may need but a V-8 engines a good start for me."[IMG][/IMG] THe FA-77mm and the K-1, a perfect match [IMG][/IMG] Late fall BW [IMG][/IMG] Parents and children, one of my favorite themes [IMG][/IMG] one of the last shots of 2018, experimenting with old glass and a new camera.[IMG][/IMG]
01-01-2019, 10:36 AM - 3 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a great celebration of the stuff that matters - really enjoying it, and thanks to Rondec for initiating it again.
01-03-2019, 06:42 AM - 12 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree with ffking, most enjoyable thread, and makes me proud to be a in such company of Pentax shooters.
I'll confine myself to 12 plus 1! An eclectic mix.

Meeting with WPRESTO- A SPECIAL OCCASION IT WAS

One of the young people at the end-of-the-schooling career banquet.