Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2019, 02:47 PM - 3 Likes   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Cindy, with the Sigma 35mm Art at Parliament House
Love it! Too bad you couldn't fit the carriage in the frame. And your fireworks image is a wonderful abstract.

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Mono fig tree in Royal Botanic Garden. My most successful "Explore" image. Over 11500 views!
Well deserved and well done!

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I didn't take any big photography trips in 2018 so these are all within 100 Miles of home and most of them are within 10 Miles.
It can be challenging to keep finding new things or new ways to see in one's home area, but then that's the beauty of it. I was awed by your backlit photo of the Black Canyon when you posted it, and I still am.

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
January with M50/1.7:
Beautiful, strong and simple. Honorable mention to Laphroaig, though!

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I agree on principle - the trouble was that I went through a month or so back choosing about 120 pics for one of those books you can get printed on demand for a present for my brother, and I got rather fond of rather a lot of pictures in the process
Just so -- we'd damn well better like our own images, or what's the point! But that's why it's so hard to evaluate one's own work, and where this exercise can be so helpful.

01-04-2019, 05:25 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Love it! Too bad you couldn't fit the carriage in the frame. And your fireworks image is a wonderful abstract.
Thanks, Baronite, there was a carriage there, but for some reason, when I turned around to take a picture there was nothing there but a pumpkin on the road. Go figure!

And yes, I was moving my tele lens during the fireworks to get that effect.

Can I say I really admire your shot of the electric substation or whatever it is? The rest of us would have walked right past it towards something photogenic, you recognized the geometry in the scene.
01-04-2019, 05:50 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So many wonderful shots, many of them with meaningful stories, but still strong enough images that the pictures speak for themselves. Keep it going!
01-04-2019, 06:01 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can I say I really admire your shot of the electric substation or whatever it is? The rest of us would have walked right past it towards something photogenic, you recognized the geometry in the scene.
Thank you. I included it because it's something quite different for me, and an approach I want to explore further.

01-04-2019, 06:20 PM - 3 Likes   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I included it because it's something quite different for me, and an approach I want to explore further.
One of the great aspects of this community is that it encourages us to shoot, and often provides some feedback, so it encourages to broaden our scope, and step into new genres.
01-04-2019, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you. I included it because it's something quite different for me, and an approach I want to explore further.
Would love to see what you can do over the next twelve months.

Check out Fan Ho's street photography if you're not already familiar with his work. He's not really taking a picture of an alleyway or a boat in Hong Kong, he's taking a picture featuring light and dark, or angles, or juxtaposition - photographic concepts.

Suddenly, finding the right subject doesn't matter as much, it's about your idea.
01-04-2019, 08:52 PM - 13 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did not shoot much this year, but here is a baker's dozen.

2000 Porsche Carrera GT at the Petersen auto museum. This is the only one produced.

At the Santa Ana Heritage museum.
Kellogg house. Hiram Clay Kellogg was a surveyor and engineer around 1900. He built dams around the world and laid out the Calif cities of Corona and Elsinore. His family home, which he designed, was moved here in 1980.

Kellogg liked ships and incorporated nautical elements in his house, including an actual ship mast in the staircase, and a teak-floored oval dining room partially seen here. His office at the front corner of the house had a separate direct entrance so visitors would not bother the children or vice-versa, and a wooden ship model in the window.

Steampunk person.

Crazy performer.

"Tarmac day" at Lyon air museum, John Wayne airport. The father had just run up and assumed the position.

B-24 Liberator waist-gunners posing for mom.

Ball turret gunner. Being necessarily small and curled up while flying, turret gunners had a better casualty rate than pilots and waist-gunners.

Fueling a B-17 Flying Fortress. In World War II, B-17's flew deep into Germany, accompanied by long-range P-51 Mustang fighters. The guy with the dip-stick measured the fuel in the tank beforehand.

Bad hair day: Videoing an L-5 Birddog as it taxis away.

Dan Gurney's Olsonite Eagle. Eagles dominated for a few years, including finishing 1, 2 and 4 at Indy in 1968. This shot was at least 2 stops underexposed.

Racing Porsches in front of "Fuddy Duddy".

Actor/comedian Don Rickles. "You hockey puck!" Notable movies include Run Silent, Run Deep; Beach Blanket Bingo; and Kelly's Heroes. He starred in TV's CPO Sharkey, and he got to roast President Reagan.

Last edited by SpecialK; 01-22-2019 at 10:48 PM.
01-05-2019, 05:32 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The fourth sunset is lovely. You frame it like the end of a very good day.
Thank you! - It was early April and a lot colder than it looks, but we were staying there for a few days as a birthday celebration so yes, very good days
01-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check out Fan Ho's street photography if you're not already familiar with his work.
Thanks for that, amazing and inspirational work.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
B-24 Liberator waist-gunners.
Great moment and juxtaposition of expressions, plus an amusing link between the plane's insignia and the lad's Nike t-shirt.
01-05-2019, 08:25 PM - 19 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

Wow! Lots of folks had a great Pentax year. I'm not even going to try to comment on all the photos I like, but animals, travel, macros, Norwegian winter scenes, Laphroig!

I had a great year, with lots of travel and good photo-taking opportunities. Here are 10 of my favorites for the year. I live in Hong Kong, but the photos here are from (in order) Vietnam, Korea, Florida (x2), Bhutan, Laos (x3), Vietnam and China:
Attached Images

01-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep them coming! I am am in awe at the images posted here! FAB STUFF!
01-07-2019, 09:19 AM - 12 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

Not my favourites, this year I'll let flickr favs do the choosing...

I have to admit, only one or two of these I would have picked myself, and there seems to be a distinct preference for those images where I forget to turn off sharpening on a preset and left artifacts. It must be a flickr thing, I've been criticized on the forum for too heavy sharpening. I may have to rethink that. Sometimes you're just too sensitive to insensitive people.

A few of my own personal favourites

I'm pretty sure this one will be a print someday, first it will need a bit of work, contrast, saturation exposure level, this is a preliminary straight to forum edit.

Last edited by normhead; 01-07-2019 at 09:31 AM.
01-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A few of my own personal favourites
The raven from this set is a magnificent portrait.
01-07-2019, 09:56 AM - 2 Likes   #59
Pentaxian

The raven from this set is a magnificent portrait.
Considering it's the first Raven I was close enough to use a lens as short as 200mm (on a K-1, so 135mm APS-c) on, (usually this shot is 300mm plus) it was really exciting. By the end of the shooting season I was able to call this guy to the parking lot. He'd recognize me calling "Hello". But this image was taken during the second session and I never got a better image. The light coming through the leaves in full colour had acted as a red/yellow filter, which really brought out the colour. It's one of those "If you like this picture buy this picture" "trade show" images. I tell people with images like this, I can tell you where I took it, I could even call the bird down for you. But the mix of colours in the lighting would be different, you'd have to go the same time of year, you'd have to have the same degree of cloud cover, this colour was available from one angle, from other angles the light was a lot flatter. I was back at least three more times and never had as good shooting conditions. I do this because at shows one of the most common questions from people who like print is "where did you take that" and at times I've heard them tell friends, "I'll go take the same shot myself and save paying the photographer.") The odds of you getting this image are next to nill even if you're Ansel Adams. To me easily the most satisfying of the bunch.

I had the DA*200 2.8 with me, which turned out to be the perfect lens that day. There are so many days I've had a lens with me I didn't end up thinking was the right lens for the job, even that was a fortuitous break. I usually take the DA*60-250 or Tamron 300 2.8. This shot taken at the end of a 2km walk, so, no way I'm carrying more than one.

There were three other guys with Canons and Nikons that day that didn't get the same image. The bird is actually on a slope. I moved around staying the right distance form the birds so my lens was always pretty close to eye level, so I'd be sure and have a shot taken from the best angle for feather detail. That's a thing with feather detail. I stayed an hour and half. They stayed 20 minutes. When the other photgraphers had left, I started talking to the bird, getting him used to my voice and movements. For this shot I think i was actually lying on my stomach on the ground. By the end I could have shot with the a 50 if I'd wanted to. I did take a few images from where the other guys were shooting just to see that they were getting. They missed out completely. The last thing was, they wanted to use longer focal lengths and stayed further away. I always try to test the limits, closer is better. They were using high speed cameras with lower resolution and longer lenses. I was using my K-1. The advantages they paid all those thousands of dollars for gave them inferior images, 20-24mp instead of 36. Some days, just everything falls in place.

I simply find it inconceivable these guys pay between $10,000 and $20,000 for the gear, take a weekend and drive 200 miles to get to the park, pay for gas. accommodation and meals, and are then so unimaginative in their shooting angles and spend so little time on such a great opportunity. Maybe its cause I was there, who knows. I find often when Im "working" a subject, I get a small crowd just standing back watching. Often shooting over my shoulder. For the most part people are nice enough not to interfere with my process by "violating" the space I'm working in.

In any case, it's by far my favourite image of the year.

Last edited by normhead; 01-07-2019 at 10:53 AM.
01-08-2019, 04:57 PM - 12 Likes   #60
Pentaxian