Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2019, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Thanks to Rondec for maintaining this fine PF tradition, and to all who've shared their photos. I find it hugely enjoyable and inspirational to see so much skill, diversity and beauty. It's awesome in the old sense.

No extended travel for me in 2018, so all these shots are from close to home (in rural Victoria, Australia). The theme is nature in Gippsland.

1. This image and the next two are of our resident Grey Shrike-Thrush (a type of whistler) who have been like family for 5 years. This is Romola accepting a handout of scrambled egg. I was holding the spoon in my left hand and shooting with my right, with the K-S2 and DA 18-135.

2. Romola feeding one of her chicks, who was hatched in our shed. The chick is fluttering in anticipation. Two hands required for this shot, with the K-3 and FA*300 f4.5.

3. This is Orlando, Romola's mate. He himself was hatched in our shed in 2013. Extra poignancy and great sadness with this one, as Orlando contracted an infection and died in September. K-3 and FA*300.

4. Sunrise over Corner Inlet and Wilson's Promontory. K-S2 and DA 18-135.

5. A storm rolling in. K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM (multiple images stitched)

6. Humpback breaching off Cape Woolamai, during a whale watching cruise from Phillip Island in June. I've been on maybe a dozen such cruises, but this was a first. Fortunately I had the 55-300 PLM (on the K-3), with its lightning fast AF, to capture it.

7. Forest boronia flowering in Bunyip State Park. K-3 and DA 20-40 Ltd.

8. Not a bee but a hover fly. Foster Flora Reserve. K-S2 and DFA 100 macro. This was another one-handed shot, as I held the flash and diffuser in my left hand and the camera in my right.

9. Imperial White Butterfly on a flowering gum in our driveway. K-3 and FA*300.

10. More parrot visitors to our place in 2018 than ever. This is a Little Corella. K-3 and FA*300.

Happy shooting to everyone in 2019.
Beautiful shots, Des! I definitely think the whale breaching is an all time great.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
These first three come from a place named Boch Hollow that you have to get a permit to go to, park in an unmarked turn in along the road and cross the road and have a short hike to the small hollow. It's so serene, nobody is there. I've been there twice, arriving before sunset each time and spending a couple hours there. Some people did come each time, but when I was packing up both times.

This one just kind of happened when I went to a reservoir to shoot sunset, I saw these kids in this convertible and quickly went over and got this from a low tripod.

This one is near Clarksville, Tennessee, I get up before everyone else and take drives through the countryside. I got lucky here because this fog was very scattered, but I got a few different looks of this old barn in the foggy sunrise.

I just like this one

My daughter moved to Wilmington, North Carolina this year and we've been there a few times and always go to Wrightsville Beach which has a breeding area for Black Skimmers. They don't stand still too often so I was happy to get this.

Birch Creek Cascades in Yellow Springs, Ohio

Ash Cave in the Hocking Hills

This is Conkles Hollow in Hocking Hills from the rim trail. I started by going through the bottom of the hollow, then came back and started up the rim trail, once I got up there is started to rain. The KP had the 15 mounted so it went in the bag, the K-50 had the 18-135 so it came out and got all of the action as it was raining too much to change lenses. A beautiful walk around, lots of cliffs and caves to see, some waterfalls were just starting to flow with the rain.
Some beautiful shots, Tom. I love the first couple shot in particular. Just gorgeous.

01-19-2019, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Thanks for sharing guys! Here is my share and mainly are wildlife photography.

1). Chestnut-bellied Malkoha - taken on Mar 9 2018

2). Jerdon's baza - taken on Mar 11 2018

3). Short-tailed Babbler - taken on Mar 18 2018

4). Common Waxbill - taken on Mar 25 2018

5). Blue tailed Bee-eater - taken on Mar 31 2018

6). Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo - taken on Apr 1 2018

7). Juvenile Spotted Wood Owl - taken on Apr 21 2018

8). Juvenile Crimson Sunbird - taken on May 4 2018

9). Barn Owl - taken on June 9 2018

10). Pin-tailed Whydah (Male) - taken on June 17 2018
All great shots but love that last one. Well done!
01-19-2019, 10:13 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Beautiful shots, Des! I definitely think the whale breaching is an all time great.
Thanks very much indeed Vincent.
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
2018 for the Berry family
Thanks for sharing these Albert. The moonrise and sunset are the standouts for me.
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
These first three come from a place named Boch Hollow
The whole set is splendid Tom. Great eye, great skills.

The effort of getting a permit and the early start certainly paid off with the Boch Hollow ones. Palpable sense of serenity. Similar sense with Birch Creek too.

The atmospheric shot in the mist from the Hocking Hills is very subtle. It pays a close look on Flickr to get the full effect, including the richness of the colours.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Here is my share and mainly are wildlife photography.
These are all fine images Luis. Thanks for taking us into the wonderful birdlife of Singapore. Always a pleasure to see your images in the 300mm+ thread.

I think the Barn Owl is my favourite - an obliging model for you with that charming twist of the head! (But I admit my bias - I saw a Barn Owl up close once and I thought it was the most beautiful creature I have ever seen.)
01-20-2019, 10:50 AM - 17 Likes   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great thread idea and a real joy to page through. Thanks all and great work.

This was the first northern saw-whet I ever found on my own

Just seeing this long-tailed weasel would have been cool, being lucky enough to have my camera in hand (shooting a grouse) when it happened by with prey was pure luck

I spent several hours on a cold April night on the Bighorn River around 3 am, alone with coyotes and owls, trying to get this shot right.

I love listening to common poorwill on summer evenings. I was out that evening hoping to photograph a flammulated owl (maybe next year) but felt very lucky to get this consolation shot.

The obligatory pacific northwest flying eagle shot.

Same location, a crow with lunch

I was originally disappointed with the clouds this evening as well as some crazy laser show shooting across the sky from parts unknown, but the end result grew on me over time.

Evening grosbeak's known they're beautiful. Showing off for the camera

25th anniversary weekend with my wife on Orcas Island, WA

Rainbow on the prairie

01-20-2019, 11:47 AM - 2 Likes   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
Great thread idea and a real joy to page through. Thanks all and great work.

This was the first northern saw-whet I ever found on my own

Just seeing this long-tailed weasel would have been cool, being lucky enough to have my camera in hand (shooting a grouse) when it happened by with prey was pure luck

I spent several hours on a cold April night on the Bighorn River around 3 am, alone with coyotes and owls, trying to get this shot right.

I love listening to common poorwill on summer evenings. I was out that evening hoping to photograph a flammulated owl (maybe next year) but felt very lucky to get this consolation shot.

The obligatory pacific northwest flying eagle shot.

Same location, a crow with lunch

I was originally disappointed with the clouds this evening as well as some crazy laser show shooting across the sky from parts unknown, but the end result grew on me over time.

Evening grosbeak's known they're beautiful. Showing off for the camera

25th anniversary weekend with my wife on Orcas Island, WA

Rainbow on the prairie
Those are very nice. Pure luck is being out in locations where these things happen with a good camera and the skills to capture the event. So I agree you were lucky
01-21-2019, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #81
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
This was the first northern saw-whet I ever found on my own...
Just seeing this long-tailed weasel would have been cool, being lucky enough to have my camera in hand (shooting a grouse) when it happened by with prey was pure luck...
I spent several hours on a cold April night on the Bighorn River around 3 am, alone with coyotes and owls, trying to get this shot right....
I love listening to common poorwill on summer evenings. I was out that evening hoping to photograph a flammulated owl (maybe next year) but felt very lucky to get this consolation shot....
The obligatory pacific northwest flying eagle shot....
Same location, a crow with lunch ...
I was originally disappointed with the clouds this evening as well as some crazy laser show shooting across the sky from parts unknown, but the end result grew on me over time...
Evening grosbeak's known they're beautiful. Showing off for the camera...
25th anniversary weekend with my wife on Orcas Island, WA ...
Rainbow on the prairie..
Stellar collection, if you'll pardon the pun. I guess that's a clue about what I think is the jewel in the crown. The dedication of a 3am shoot paid off spectacularly.
01-21-2019, 07:32 AM - 2 Likes   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fantastic shots, riseform, you certainly have a good eye, and good luck when spotting wildlife, super sharp shots! Your night time clouds make the photo more interesting, IMO.

02-04-2019, 08:53 PM - 11 Likes   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After 6 pages review, thank you for the wonderful contributions. Good to get a retrospective.
A mixed year for me - not much time for photography, and a bit scattered with LOTS of business travel. Mainly from the GR and X-T20:

February trip back to NZ (GR)

The Dream
by Aaron, on Flickr

GR

Joy
by Aaron, on Flickr

Fuji X-T20 and 50-230

Watchful
by Aaron, on Flickr

X-T20 and 23mm

Attack!
by Aaron, on Flickr

Spring (GM5)

Flower branch
by Aaron, on Flickr

May (X-T20 and 14mm)

Camp Lights
by Aaron, on Flickr

GR

Irregularity
by Aaron, on Flickr

Summer (X-T20 and 16-50):

Here!
by Aaron, on Flickr

X-T20 and 14mm

Post Harvest Evening
by Aaron, on Flickr

Autumn (X-T20 and 55mm F1.8 Tak):

Tree fire.
by Aaron, on Flickr

Germany (X-T20 and 23mm) :

Storm Weather
by Aaron, on Flickr

X-T20 and 14mm

Winter wheat, afternoon sun
by Aaron, on Flickr
02-05-2019, 01:32 AM   #84
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
A mixed year for me - not much time for photography, and a bit scattered with LOTS of business travel. Mainly from the GR and X-T20
Diverse and interesting collection Aaron. Enjoyed all of them. Camp lights is a particularly striking image. The dog's nose made me smile - simple and strong image, nice use of short DOF.
02-05-2019, 05:07 PM - 2 Likes   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Diverse and interesting collection Aaron. Enjoyed all of them. Camp lights is a particularly striking image. The dog's nose made me smile - simple and strong image, nice use of short DOF.
Thank you, Des. The dog makes me smile every day - it's great to come home to wags.
11-21-2020, 06:49 PM - 3 Likes   #86
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two of mine (post #72) seem to be missing due to broken Flickr links. I can't edit the post, so here they are again.

6. Humpback breaching off Cape Woolamai, during a whale watching cruise from Phillip Island in June. I've been on maybe a dozen such cruises, but this was a first. Fortunately I had the 55-300 PLM (on the K-3), with its lightning fast AF, to capture it.

8. Not a bee but a hover fly. Foster Flora Reserve. K-S2 and DFA 100 macro. This was another one-handed shot, as I held the flash and diffuser in my left hand and the camera in my right.