Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2019, 10:07 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
More beautiful shots.

Hope there are more who take the step to post...

01-03-2019, 02:06 PM - 20 Likes   #32
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for starting this thread, Vincent - so many wonderful and inspirational shots! Here's a quick and directionless selection from my Flickr stream for 2018.

Starting off with a few from South Africa in January.

More for nostalgic reasons than photographic ones, a mother and calf black rhino we encountered on our walking safari. Truly a memorable moment from 2018.

The sunset over Sabie river in Kruger National Park.

Then home to the Norwegian winter...

A couple of attempts at being clever

An autumnal long exposure.

And finally a silly shot with the immensely fun Ricoh Theta
01-03-2019, 02:57 PM - 8 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sunflowers at Sunset (DFA 15-30mm)
Thanks for kicking this off! I particularly like this sunflower-sunset, for its beautiful muted colors, wistful atmosphere, and subversion of the usual field-of-sunflowers cliché.

QuoteOriginally posted by Abulafia Quote
Gli amici del maiale / The Pig's friends by Federico Tomasello, su Flickr
Wonderful, somehow nostalgic and surreal at the same time.

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I spent most of time doing macro because of record heat around here. I posted my 55-300 PLM shots under lens of the year so I will leave those out.
Love how you use the water drops to give context and scale to the leafhopper shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I didn't get out enough this year, plan to rectify it for the next. But some neat stuff.
Excellent set, and several of these cry out for humorous captions!

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I did this one per month last year, but they're much more grouped this year so I won't do that - problem now is too many favourites - so, here's the first tranche...
Part of what I like about this exercise is the cull -- makes me look more critically at my own work. Great set, and Wheal Betsy silver lead mine, engine house is magical.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
2018 was not such a great year for my photography. I didn't get to travel so much for various reasons therefore not so many opportunities for landscapes which I enjoy. Instead I've been photographing more people but I'm not so happy with those either. Let's see what 2019 will bring. Happy New Year everybody!!
The juxtaposition of expressions in Kids Watching Steet Theater is both funny and touching, great street work.

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
KP + DA 10-17:
Hard for me to pick a favorite from this amazing set, but I'll choose Evening at Patrick's Point 5 for the powerful and somewhat ominous atmosphere.

QuoteOriginally posted by pklax Quote
I inadvertently toggled the multiple exposure mode. A happy accident!
I love happy accidents, including this one.

On to page 2 ...

---------- Post added 2019-01-03 at 05:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Wow doesn't a year come round quickly?It doesn't seem like five minutes since the Best of 2017.
Indeed. Lovely set and I'm particularly struck by Holkham September 2018 11 for the atmosphere and for how the subject is isolated in a vast space and yet connects to the viewer.

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
March - Hardly took any photos this month , so here's a replacement from a lens I must use more in 2019. S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5.
Love this; no surprise, I thought it was infrared. Great range of lenses, subjects, and styles in your set.

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
At the risk of being greedy (I'd have never made a good editor - it's just lucky that not all my favourtes are on Flickr ) here's part II
new life is a stunner.

QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
A juvenile "Brown Pelican", species Pelecanus occidentalis, braving the blowing sand on the beach.
And you've conveyed that atmosphere really effectively.

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Note that this isn't a Pentax shot, and - egads! - it was shot on full auto! But since late 2017, myself and my wife have got ourselves into cycling, and especially cycle touring. This culminated last September with a three-week exploration of Scotland, and this photo of my wife climbing out of Bridge of Balgie both encapsulates what was a fantastic moment for us, and is, IMHO, a decently nice cycling travel photo, a genre that is quite new to me...
Well, your new hobby is a great excuse for less photography, and gave you a fantastic photo here.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Late fall BW
Love the dreaminess of this one.

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Meeting with WPRESTO- A SPECIAL OCCASION IT WAS
Which one of that herd is WPRESTO?
OK, seriously, Angel wings is perfectly titled and just beautiful.

Well then, onto page 3 ...

---------- Post added 2019-01-03 at 05:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
More for nostalgic reasons than photographic ones, a mother and calf black rhino we encountered on our walking safari. Truly a memorable moment from 2018.
Maybe not as technically perfect as you'd like, but it's so much more than a specimen shot -- the framing through the bush, and composition that reinforces the feeling of movement, are excellent, and make for a great storytelling image.

I love Ice planet too.
01-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice job, all! I'm trying to pick some of mine out but I'm not good at picking faves.

01-03-2019, 04:27 PM - 12 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Nice job, all! I'm trying to pick some of mine out but I'm not good at picking faves.
I think of it not as picking my favorites, or even what I think of as the best images when considered individually, but finding a set with some range and balance, where each image suggests a direction or discovery I want to continue to pursue. I find it a challenging exercise but also a really helpful one.

I've picked a set of 10 each year since 2013. In addition to being an obvious and expected sort of number, it's large enough to include a good range but small enough to force me to make choices. My set for 2018 surprises me for a couple of reasons. One, it's all DSLR work. I didn't shoot loads of film last year but I did a certain amount of 4x5 and yet none of it made the cut. Two, only 2 of the 10 are in color, and one of those is false-color infrared. Here's a link to the album on Flickr:

10 from 2018

And here they are in chronological order (tiny versions because of the Flickr oversharpening issue):

Hawai'i, K-1, DA*200/2.8

New Zealand, K-1, DA*200/2.8

Western North Carolina, K-1, K55/1.8

Central North Carolina, K-5 (IR converted, 590nm), K35/3.5

Western North Carolina, K-5 (IR converted, 590nm), K35/3.5

Western North Carolina, K-1, K85/1.8

Western North Carolina, K-1, K85/1.8

Central North Carolina, K-1, FA 645 35/3.5 (Mirex tilt/shift adapter)

Central North Carolina, K-1, FA 645 35/3.5 (Mirex tilt/shift adapter)

Central North Carolina, K-1, FA 645 75/2.8 (Mirex tilt/shift adapter)

Cheers!
01-03-2019, 05:39 PM - 19 Likes   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great images, guys, looks like we really enjoyed 2018.

Cindy, with the Sigma 35mm Art at Parliament House

The FA77 in action at an Owl sanctuary in Scotland.

Australian Road Cycle Championships, DFA 28-105 'kit lens'.

Keyhole Rock, DFA 100mm Macro f2.8:

White Night, Sigma 35mm Art:

Hit behind play, FA*300 f4.5:

Exhibition Buildings, Sigma 35mm Art:

Halloween, DA12-24:

Queen Victoria Market, Sigma 85mm:

Eagle Rock, possibly the DA40 SX f2.8:

Fireworks, possibly the Tamron 70-200 f2.8:

Helmeted Honeyeater, FA*300 f4.5:

Last edited by clackers; 01-04-2019 at 05:28 PM.
01-04-2019, 12:19 AM - 18 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a great idea to start this thread, Rondec-Vincent. I have no particular speciality so I present my eclectic collection of faves from 2018.

A day out with my photog mates. This path leads up to underneath the southern approaches to Sydney's famous Harbour Bridge.

Hibiscus. K10D + SMC Takumar 200/f4. Need I say more?

New metal escalators installed and the old timber escalators were repurposed as an installation attached to the ceiling. Wynyard Station, Sydney CBD.

Sydney CBD from Lavender Bay. K-3 + DA 15mm Limited.

Clivia about to bloom.

The pointy end. Waiting at the ferry wharf.

Mono fig tree in Royal Botanic Garden. My most successful "Explore" image. Over 11500 views!

Stepping stones at the wetlands in Sydney Park.

Twisted reflection in windows. You can see me in the 3rd pane from bottom right.

Green Ford coupe. One of my passions is photographing car shows.

01-04-2019, 01:28 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Wheal Betsy silver lead mine, engine house is magical.
Well that's my daughter in the opening, so I'd have to agree
01-04-2019, 01:40 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

new life is a stunner.
Thank you - it took a couple of days after I first saw it to be able to get back with a camera, and there were a lot more shoots coming through than I first envisaged, making the composition more difficultand a little frustrating, but with the passage of time I'm not sure this doesn't work better - I certainly like the result also.
01-04-2019, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Part of what I like about this exercise is the cull -- makes me look more critically at my own work.
I agree on principle - the trouble was that I went through a month or so back choosing about 120 pics for one of those books you can get printed on demand for a present for my brother, and I got rather fond of rather a lot of pictures in the process
01-04-2019, 09:13 AM - 3 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great thread....2018 was a fantastic photography year for me...new K-3ii, three major trips, new DxO + NIK software....and I joined this wonderful forum from which I have learned so much...thank you everyone. Anyway, I will have to go through the 2018 archives and pick a collection of 10...best? I suppose.
01-04-2019, 10:21 AM - 19 Likes   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, I'm a software engineer and when faced with an analysis project I like to see how I can make it easier/better with technology.
I used Flickr and the Dopiaza set generator to make an album of my 100 "most interesting" images from 2018. That gave me a smaller pool of photos to work with in choosing my 10. Of course this doesn't include a lot of my professional work which often doesn't make it to Flickr. These are the shots I took for myself.

I didn't take any big photography trips in 2018 so these are all within 100 Miles of home and most of them are within 10 Miles.

This first one was shot on New Year's Day 2018 when we had no snow.

A selfie!?

Last edited by mattb123; 01-04-2019 at 10:41 AM. Reason: image swap - changed my mind! :D
01-04-2019, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #43
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I used Flickr and the Dopiaza set generator to make an album of my 100 "most interesting" images from 2018.
Hah, I just did the same and (I think) 7 of my picks made it into the top 100. And quite a lot of the images in that set are just snaps taken for the Daily challenge. Unless I start uploading only images I deem "worthy" I won't get much help from that tool

But thanks for the tip!

A link to the set if anyone's interested
01-04-2019, 01:51 PM - 15 Likes   #44
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought we didn't have this thread yet this year. Glad I found it before I started a new one. This was fun last year, so wanted to do it again. I participated in Single In Challenge every month in 2018. Picked one from each.

January with M50/1.7:

February with M135/3.5:

March with M28/2.8:

April with M200/4:

May with M50/2:

June with M100/4:

July with M40/2.8:

August with M28/3.5:

September with M85/2:

October with M50/1.4:

November with M120/2.8:

December with M50/4:
01-04-2019, 02:36 PM - 14 Likes   #45
Veteran Member

I take thousands of cricket pictures each season and it gets harder to pick one that stands out. This one is of Haseeb Hameed who played for England then lost form and here he is playing for Lancs 2nd X1

All the rest are a selection of thimgs I have seen in my wanderings with a camera

Blackburn Cathedral

Corporation Park, dates back to Victorian days when municipal parks were a 'big thing'

Sparrowhawk eating one of my backyard birds,

Taken in my local community garden

Heritage railways are always good for a days shooting

Leaves provide endless opportunities for shape and colour shots

I enjoy the challenge of macro and in summer there are plenty of 'victims'

St Annes - the seaside and B & W go well together

A California poppy, for some reason they grow in a deserted garden near my house