Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 628 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2019, 07:13 PM - 5 Likes   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@gifthorse

That's what this forum needs, more kayaking images.

01-10-2019, 06:36 AM - 18 Likes   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My main photographic interests are birds and nature, but I'm easily distracted! Some creatures are much easier to photograph than others, and I get a lot of my reward from pushing the boundaries of the more difficult ones. I also find travel helps me see the world with new eyes and I try to convey that.

No insects here so I thought I would add just one more (taken with my 35mm Macro Limited, believe it or not!).

Last edited by jacamar; 01-10-2019 at 08:28 AM.
01-10-2019, 07:06 PM - 15 Likes   #63
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

so many things happened this year, so many changes, additions, subtractions.....

out here, our focus is our home life, which has always included our dogs

this year, however, we added chickens to the mix

which give us eggs

but my favorites are the sunrises & sunsets

looking forward to 2019!
01-10-2019, 07:51 PM - 2 Likes   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

You worked hard to get that first chicken shot, PF, and it was totally worth it!

My favourite of that bunch though is the dandelion and setting sun, it's what photography's all about, IMHO, concept and execution.

01-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #65
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You worked hard to get that first chicken shot, PF, and it was totally worth it!

My favourite of that bunch though is the dandelion and setting sun, it's what photography's all about, IMHO, concept and execution.
thank you...
01-11-2019, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

+1 to what he said.
01-11-2019, 08:13 AM - 14 Likes   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is when I really wish my images were in my Gallery or on something like Flickr instead of strewn throughout this forum. Maybe that should be my 2019 New Year's resolution.

Here's 10 +1 in no particular order...well, as I find them.

1) I missed the fisheye from my FF film days so much I bought an APS version last year; so much fun

2) Shadows on the snow on a bright snowy winter day always catch my eye.

3) The yellow caught my eye during a photo walkabout in Ottawa on a beautiful autumn day...2018 was all about learning how to use PP more effectively

4) Moving water is always a facination for me whether I am photographing it or not. Gotta love the sound.

5) More of the same; I could just sit here and read a book

6) Trees, being an outdoors-type, are a favourite thing of mine and the sound the wind makes through their needles and leaves. Once and a while the wind makes a visible impression on those trees and me.

7) Nighttime photography has always intrigued me, even so far back as the early eighties with my K-1000. I still have much to learn but it's getting there

8) 2018 was great great year for so many reasons and two are highlighted in this shot; the purchase of a most excellent lens (PENTAX-D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR) and the return to a fantastic science center in Sudbury Ontario

9) Bokeh, something I always took for granted but never really paid much attention to in my photography. 2018 I really started to pay attention and use it to my advantage.

10) And for anyone with a pet you know they are so dear. Our Shih Tzu can be really difficult to photograph with her black face but once and a while I luck out

+1 - And one taken a long time ago but found in 2018...my Dad on the far right; his WWII days

2018 was a truly great year for my photography as I learned so much from the folks on this forum...thank you all! There are other pictures I might have picked but you get the drift....

01-11-2019, 10:50 AM - 2 Likes   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

You've had a great year, Charlie, and I love the tree being strained by the wind!

01-12-2019, 10:26 AM - 5 Likes   #69
Unregistered User

I've been working with my Q-7 and a 50mm F1.4 Cosmicar C-mount lens doing concert photography:

Eivør, Faroese musician, Iceland Airwaves festival

Having such a compact telephoto (230mm FF FOV) really makes for an enjoyable shooting experience.
Having such a joyful subject doesn’t hurt either!

Last edited by Unregistered User; 01-12-2019 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Image edited
01-18-2019, 12:35 AM - 19 Likes   #70
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to Rondec for maintaining this fine PF tradition, and to all who've shared their photos. I find it hugely enjoyable and inspirational to see so much skill, diversity and beauty. It's awesome in the old sense.

No extended travel for me in 2018, so all these shots are from close to home (in rural Victoria, Australia). The theme is nature in Gippsland.

1. This image and the next two are of our resident Grey Shrike-Thrush (a type of whistler) who have been like family for 5 years. This is Romola accepting a handout of scrambled egg. I was holding the spoon in my left hand and shooting with my right, with the K-S2 and DA 18-135.

2. Romola feeding one of her chicks, who was hatched in our shed. The chick is fluttering in anticipation. Two hands required for this shot, with the K-3 and FA*300 f4.5.

3. This is Orlando, Romola's mate. He himself was hatched in our shed in 2013. Extra poignancy and great sadness with this one, as Orlando contracted an infection and died in September. K-3 and FA*300.

4. Sunrise over Corner Inlet and Wilson's Promontory. K-S2 and DA 18-135.

5. A storm rolling in. K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM (multiple images stitched)

6. Humpback breaching off Cape Woolamai, during a whale watching cruise from Phillip Island in June. I've been on maybe a dozen such cruises, but this was a first. Fortunately I had the 55-300 PLM (on the K-3), with its lightning fast AF, to capture it.

7. Forest boronia flowering in Bunyip State Park. K-3 and DA 20-40 Ltd.

8. Not a bee but a hover fly. Foster Flora Reserve. K-S2 and DFA 100 macro. This was another one-handed shot, as I held the flash and diffuser in my left hand and the camera in my right.

9. Imperial White Butterfly on a flowering gum in our driveway. K-3 and FA*300.

10. More parrot visitors to our place in 2018 than ever. This is a Little Corella. K-3 and FA*300.

Happy shooting to everyone in 2019.
01-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Thanks to Rondec for maintaining this fine PF tradition, and to all who've shared their photos. I find it hugely enjoyable and inspirational to see so much skill, diversity and beauty. It's awesome in the old sense.

No extended travel for me in 2018, so all these shots are from close to home (in rural Victoria, Australia). The theme is nature in Gippsland.

1. This image and the next two are of our resident Grey Shrike-Thrush (a type of whistler) who have been like family for 5 years. This is Romola accepting a handout of scrambled egg. I was holding the spoon in my left hand and shooting with my right, with the K-S2 and DA 18-135.

2. Romola feeding one of her chicks, who was hatched in our shed. The chick is fluttering in anticipation. Two hands required for this shot, with the K-3 and FA*300 f4.5.

3. This is Orlando, Romola's mate. He himself was hatched in our shed in 2013. Extra poignancy and great sadness with this one, as Orlando contracted an infection and died in September. K-3 and FA*300.

4. Sunrise over Corner Inlet and Wilson's Promontory. K-S2 and DA 18-135.

5. A storm rolling in. K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM (multiple images stitched)

6. Humpback breaching off Cape Woolamai, during a whale watching cruise from Phillip Island in June. I've been on maybe a dozen such cruises, but this was a first. Fortunately I had the 55-300 PLM (on the K-3), with its lightning fast AF, to capture it.

7. Forest boronia flowering in Bunyip State Park. K-3 and DA 20-40 Ltd.

8. Not a bee but a hover fly. Foster Flora Reserve. K-S2 and DFA 100 macro. This was another one-handed shot, as I held the flash and diffuser in my left hand and the camera in my right.

9. Imperial White Butterfly on a flowering gum in our driveway. K-3 and FA*300.

10. More parrot visitors to our place in 2018 than ever. This is a Little Corella. K-3 and FA*300.

Happy shooting to everyone in 2019.
A wonderful set of images, Des. Very enjoyable viewing. That breaching whale is a standout. Well done.
01-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #72
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
A wonderful set of images, Des. Very enjoyable viewing. That breaching whale is a standout. Well done.
Thanks very much Ray. Yes the whale breaching was the moment of the year for me - in fact one of the photography experiences of a lifetime.
01-18-2019, 07:20 PM - 11 Likes   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

2018 for the Berry family

This is the first year I have participated, and it wasn't such a great year photographically.

In June the family met at Cypress Hills Interprovincial park on the border(s) of Alberta, Saskatchewan and the US of A. My first favourite is my wife in a lawn chair at the Marina. She was chasing seagulls with her X-5. I used the DA 12-24. I find it to be a superb landscape lens.

To continue with the DA 12-24, I made a five shot panorama, perhaps a kilometre from the provincial border on the way to Ressor Lake.

We had some back yard visitors, and the DA 55-300 ED came into heavy use here.
A whitetail buck in velvet.

Northern Flicker

An apartment block caught fire at the bottom of our hill. A barbecue on a balcony caught fire and took out the whole three story block. I stood on the tool box in the back of my pickup to get a good angle for catching the local fire department (volunteers) in action.

Moon rise over Balmer Ridge. A once in a lifetime shot. The colours lasted about 3 minutes, and to have the moon and the tip of Balmer ridge and the trees all line up from my dining room was a real pleasure

Plains Bison and 3 month old calf.

And to end the post, one hour after sunset in Elk Island National Park across Astotin Lake.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 01-18-2019 at 07:27 PM.
01-18-2019, 08:32 PM - 10 Likes   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These first three come from a place named Boch Hollow that you have to get a permit to go to, park in an unmarked turn in along the road and cross the road and have a short hike to the small hollow. It's so serene, nobody is there. I've been there twice, arriving before sunset each time and spending a couple hours there. Some people did come each time, but when I was packing up both times.

This one just kind of happened when I went to a reservoir to shoot sunset, I saw these kids in this convertible and quickly went over and got this from a low tripod.

This one is near Clarksville, Tennessee, I get up before everyone else and take drives through the countryside. I got lucky here because this fog was very scattered, but I got a few different looks of this old barn in the foggy sunrise.

I just like this one

My daughter moved to Wilmington, North Carolina this year and we've been there a few times and always go to Wrightsville Beach which has a breeding area for Black Skimmers. They don't stand still too often so I was happy to get this.

Birch Creek Cascades in Yellow Springs, Ohio

Ash Cave in the Hocking Hills

This is Conkles Hollow in Hocking Hills from the rim trail. I started by going through the bottom of the hollow, then came back and started up the rim trail, once I got up there is started to rain. The KP had the 15 mounted so it went in the bag, the K-50 had the 18-135 so it came out and got all of the action as it was raining too much to change lenses. A beautiful walk around, lots of cliffs and caves to see, some waterfalls were just starting to flow with the rain.
01-18-2019, 09:05 PM - 13 Likes   #75
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing guys! Here is my share and mainly are wildlife photography.

1). Chestnut-bellied Malkoha - taken on Mar 9 2018

2). Jerdon's baza - taken on Mar 11 2018

3). Short-tailed Babbler - taken on Mar 18 2018

4). Common Waxbill - taken on Mar 25 2018

5). Blue tailed Bee-eater - taken on Mar 31 2018

6). Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo - taken on Apr 1 2018

7). Juvenile Spotted Wood Owl - taken on Apr 21 2018

8). Juvenile Crimson Sunbird - taken on May 4 2018

9). Barn Owl - taken on June 9 2018

10). Pin-tailed Whydah (Male) - taken on June 17 2018