Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 160 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2019, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #136
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well considering we are spread around the world it was nice to catch up with jbarry today in person........ such a small world
Congratulations to pepper berry on explore, we seem to be very lucky this month with our strike rate

02-24-2019, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #137
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Every time some one joins and says they're in Florida, I get my hopes up they are close by and we can meet up. Nope, they're in Tallahassee, Pensacola, Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville, Orlando, or some obscure town I never heard of, far away and on the other side of the state, but no where on the east coast close to me. I don't drive distances, so I'm stuck, sitting here to shoot on my own, no camera clubs here either, I checked a few years ago found one, they had no interest in a nature shooter with a OMG!, they still make those? Pentax, snobs.
02-24-2019, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #138
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Well considering we are spread around the world it was nice to catch up with jbarry today in person........ such a small world
One of the delights of this little community is the occasional cementing of the virtual relationships we build. I have had the pleasure of meeting Rod, Noel and Clive in Adelaide, and catching up with Simon in London and Robbie in Cork.

I would be disappointed if any of the Single In family didn't hunt me down if they ever found their way to little old Adelaide.
02-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #139
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
such a small world
By the way, who were the other two Pentaxians at the catch-up? Ian and/or Paul??

02-24-2019, 11:43 PM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you just were a little closer to central europe...
02-24-2019, 11:48 PM   #141
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And if I were just a tad closer to Australia. But my Jeep don't swim.
02-25-2019, 12:27 AM   #142
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by willdmo Quote
I'll be in Germany in September 2020. München and Berlin are already on the itinerary (along with the Dolomites, Salzburg/Innsbruck and Prague).

02-25-2019, 12:52 AM   #143
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

How come ya'll don't take a holiday to the USA, particularly to Florida?
02-25-2019, 01:22 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Germany in September 2020
Then message me/us
02-25-2019, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #145
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
By the way, who were the other two Pentaxians at the catch-up? Ian and/or Paul??
Yes Ian Clark, Al Burkin, Linda Elly, John Barry and myself. Sadly we missed 2 others, 1 who passed like ships in the night and the other with car troubles

Photolady, my wife just traded her Jeep patriot for a Wrangler, so at least a little bit of your country made it down here, .........
02-25-2019, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #146
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

for those following along at home, my Sigma 20/1.8 was diagnosed by Adorama as having a sticky aperture, which very well could have been giving me the problems I was having in strong light...

they are going to attempt a repair and get back to me...
02-25-2019, 03:15 PM   #147
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No pnoto today. Left hand shaking so bad, I won't be able to hold camera still long enough to get a shot. And K-5 and this lens too heavy to hold one handed and tripod occupied elsewhere.
02-26-2019, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
for those following along at home, my Sigma 20/1.8 was diagnosed by Adorama as having a sticky aperture, which very well could have been giving me the problems I was having in strong light...

they are going to attempt a repair and get back to me...
That would probably do it - hopefully a straightforward fix.

Well I'm back today. Saturday I awoke with "ManFlu" and missed pics for 23rd and 25th as a result.

I also have a lot of commenting to catch up on but now my head is out of the cotton wool phase I seem to be able to make my fingers work again.

And there I was quite pleased with my progress so far
02-26-2019, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by willdmo Quote
I really must get over sometime. My sister lives with her family about 2 hours away from you. They are in Eich.
02-26-2019, 07:22 PM - 3 Likes   #150
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

since the lens is in Adorama's hands for the next week or so, I might as well write up my summation of this month's lens: the Sigma 20mm f1.8 EX DG

I bought this used from Adorama late last year and hoped that it lived up to its reviews...

firstly, it's big, typically big for a Sigma lens... weighs just over a full pound, with an 82mm filter ring...

it's a composite lens with Sigma's MF/AF clutch for switching back and forth between the two focus modes - in AF, the focus ring does not turn at all, but it does turn in MF if you are using AF on the camera body - something to remember if tend to hold the lens tightly... additionally, this is not an HSM lens, so it uses the camera body's screwdrive for AF...

I found pretty quickly that my copy was severely overexposing in strong light, so I tried to simply keep it indoors and out of strong light - I eventually did send it back to Adorama for repair or replacement; they've diagnosed it to have a sticky aperture and hope to have it repaired and back to me soon...

other than this issue - it's an amazing lens, with strong color saturation, great minimum focus distance, and superior clarity...

some of my favorites from the month: