Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2019, 12:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single In - February 2019

Welcome everyone to the Single In February 2019 Challenge!

Theme days:

Tuesday, 5th February: CIRCLES

Tuesday, 12th February: CLOSE-UP

Thursday, 21st February: B/SELFIES

Tuesday, 26th February: MONOCHROME

Aim of the Game:To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these won’t be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and with regular commenting, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun. You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographer’s parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).

This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. The FAQ - Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Video below was created by patjp

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON Z 6  Photo 
01-26-2019, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in!

probably with a Sigma 20/1.8 EX DG...
01-26-2019, 01:52 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seriously considering joining again, after a long time. Have to think about a lens though.... Probably an old Soviet one, but not decided yet....
01-26-2019, 02:05 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been waiting for this thread. I'm in. It's dull without SIC

I'll go with M150/3.5 and K5.

01-26-2019, 02:14 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been out of the loop for a while, and have missed the discipline and cameraderie (intentional mis-spelling ).

The seller's remorse of parting with my FA135 before the K-1 was released has recently been redressed. I reckon I should give that a whirl, maybe with some comparisons to the K135/2.5 and DFA*70-200 @ 135

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Seriously considering joining again, after a long time.
It would be great to have you back Rense!
01-26-2019, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The seller's remorse of parting with my FA135 before the K-1 was released has recently been redressed. I reckon I should give that a whirl ...
I like the idea of doing a 135mm this month - haven't done one in ages. I could join Rense with a Jupiter-37A Soviet lens, but I also have a Super-Takumar 135/2.5 that's been calling my name for a while.

Also, welcome back, Sandy - and, Rense, I hope you decide to join in!
01-26-2019, 03:06 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
I like the idea of doing a 135mm this month - haven't done one in ages. I could join Rense with a Jupiter-37A Soviet lens, but I also have a Super-Takumar 135/2.5 that's been calling my name for a while.

Also, welcome back, Sandy - and, Rense, I hope you decide to join in!
Could dust off my Jupiter-9, it's somewhere.... in a box, I suppose, for more than a year now....

01-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not sure about this month. Weather still too cold to go outside for me unless we actually get some warm days. And I find out why my appetite disappeared, and I keep losing weight, I'm down to below 100lbs now.
01-26-2019, 05:30 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in. Not sure what yet.
01-26-2019, 06:31 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd be interested in participating in a 135mm month if others are using that lens.

I just purchased a used K-1, and a used Takumar Bayonet 135mm, which I've been using quite a bit for Daily In. I'm still not sure how this 135mm compares to my M42 Takumar 135mm yet, but when it is properly focused, at the right aperture and shutter speed, it is very good. I'm also very glad for the Catch in Focus feature when using this lens. One thing I do know is that the Bayonet is very susceptible to PF, and I'm going to be trying it out with a longer hood, especially when shooting towards the sun.

Last edited by robgski; 01-27-2019 at 11:17 AM.
01-27-2019, 07:15 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been absent for a long time now due to "stuff" at home and work.
There have been a lot of opportunities in the last year to get hold of some lenses I've had a lot of interest in, which I have done, and now I have finally settled on the ones I am happiest with (at least for the time being ;-) )
So I am more than willing to start again in February (just trying to convince my wife to as well now :-) )
Anyway if the interest is there in the 135 focal length; I have had an A series 135/2.8 for a long, long time now that deserves a run out and if I get enough time on some of the days I'll compare it to the F series 70-210 @ 135mm that I have found this very month.

All in all, I'm in
01-27-2019, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
All in all, I'm in
I'm looking forward to seeing your wonderful depictions of the Hampshire countryside again!
01-28-2019, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'm looking forward to seeing your wonderful depictions of the Hampshire countryside again!
Ha :-)
Thanks Sandy; we'll see if the February weather will oblige ;-)
01-29-2019, 11:17 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For February, I think I will stick with a manual lens, but will go a bit wider with the K35/f3.5. I'm ready to move on from the M85/f2.0 I'm using this month.
01-29-2019, 12:37 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Not sure about this month. Weather still too cold to go outside for me unless we actually get some warm days. And I find out why my appetite disappeared, and I keep losing weight, I'm down to below 100lbs now.
Take care of yourself.