Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2019, 05:23 AM   #151
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heads UP!!

Just a heads up for tomorrow's thread, it's already up, an oops was made in the posting group, buberfan got ahead of himself and created a thread for the 30th, we've decided to leave it up and use that one as tomorrow's posting thread. Please don't start a new thread for tomorrow.

03-29-2019, 06:54 AM - 3 Likes   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Final thoughts on the 07 pinhole lens as I won't get a chance to post tomorrow.

It is known that creativity often thrives when we are up against limitations. The pinhole has provided those limitations for me. There's no way to adjust aperture or focus. Sharpness only exists in the centre, with optimum distance around 60cm. Beyond that, the centre remains relatively sharp to further distances while the edges become increasingly blurry. This can help to focus attention on whatever is in the centre of the frame. But it's a very different feel to subject isolation from narrow depth of field. The effect looks more like results I've seen from some of the Lensbaby composer series lenses (though at a fraction of the cost). The other interesting effect is from the flare - which again is very different to the flare I've seen from other lenses.

The surprises to me have been (1) how sharp it can be in the centre in the right conditions; and (2) the miniturisation effect, especially when combined with the Q7's Tonal Expansion filter.

I probably won't use it all that much after this month but it's definitely one I'll hang onto. It's cheap and gives special effects that are unique. Recommended for anyone who has a Q series camera.
03-29-2019, 03:39 PM   #153
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by buberfan Quote
Final thoughts on the 07 pinhole lens as I won't get a chance to post tomorrow.

It is known that creativity often thrives when we are up against limitations. The pinhole has provided those limitations for me. There's no way to adjust aperture or focus. Sharpness only exists in the centre, with optimum distance around 60cm. Beyond that, the centre remains relatively sharp to further distances while the edges become increasingly blurry. This can help to focus attention on whatever is in the centre of the frame. But it's a very different feel to subject isolation from narrow depth of field. The effect looks more like results I've seen from some of the Lensbaby composer series lenses (though at a fraction of the cost). The other interesting effect is from the flare - which again is very different to the flare I've seen from other lenses.

The surprises to me have been (1) how sharp it can be in the centre in the right conditions; and (2) the miniturisation effect, especially when combined with the Q7's Tonal Expansion filter.

I probably won't use it all that much after this month but it's definitely one I'll hang onto. It's cheap and gives special effects that are unique. Recommended for anyone who has a Q series camera.
Thanks for the 07 month, I have really enjoyed following it, I will be busting out my own 07 soon, right after a month on the 08
03-29-2019, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All caught up I think. Just got to think about “Shadow” for tomorrow and start to pen a summary.

03-29-2019, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #155
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Congrats! I'm sure yours isn't any sillier than some I've seen get explored.

I guess I just automatically think it’s silly if I took it

Especially when I know it was an afterthought of a photo (and has become my “biggest” Explore despite that lack of creative effort).

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2019 at 11:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
All caught up I think. Just got to think about “Shadow” for tomorrow and start to pen a summary.

Ah! I’d forgotten there was a theme - thanks for the reminder. 8) I’d best get to thinking.
03-29-2019, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #156
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
Or you could wait till sunday 31st to do it
03-30-2019, 09:30 AM - 4 Likes   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My new Kp arrived, as well as the free 'supposed to be delayed WR 55-300'... I think I could get used to this camera...
After a K20d, a K-5, now a Kp... Smaller and smaller....

03-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #158
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
My new Kp arrived
Another member of the club! I hope one day the wider Pentax community will stop whingeing that it isn't a K-3 replacement, and realise what a great little camera it is.
03-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Another member of the club! I hope one day the wider Pentax community will stop whingeing that it isn't a K-3 replacement, and realise what a great little camera it is.
It is!
03-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like mine -got a great deal from Jessops here in the UK. Best of all it gives me an excellent reason to keep my 20-40 Ltd after getting the K-1.
03-30-2019, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #161
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

I’m lusting after one. Totally out of touch with the whingeing wider community
03-30-2019, 07:42 PM - 4 Likes   #162
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

one more day of March, but I will finish up with a review - I'll have another one or two shots in the morning, but I can write up the review tonight while I'm thinking on it...

Sigma 24mm f1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF Macro

I've been fascinated with the 24mm focal length for a while, now (along with the 55mm fl) and have acquired several different lenses at this length - the Sigma is my only autofocus lens at 24mm...

I purchased this lens used from another PF member - I'd been after this lens for about a year and just have not been able to find one within my budget allowance, until now...

the only downside to this lens is it's physical size - it weighs a smidge over 17 ounces; with the hood mounted, it's a bit under 5" long, and has a 77mm filter ring - this is not a Limited prime lens...

now that we have that out of the way, let me share with you what you can do with it: everything...

all month long, I dragged this lens everywhere, pointed it at any/everything I found and it pulled off every shot - from landscapes to near-macro, pin-sharp details, beautiful bokeh, and sharp, crisp color rendition, this lens does not disappoint...

lemme show you:

and the remainder of the SIC shots: Single In Challenge - March '19 | Flickr

if you are in the market for a sub-28mm lens that covers FF and delivers the goods, keep the Sigma 28/1.8 EX DG on your short list....

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 03-31-2019 at 12:28 AM.
03-30-2019, 08:34 PM - 5 Likes   #163
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shot 31 is in the bank. Summary time.

I've had the privilege of being a very early owner of the newly-released and long-awaited DA*11-18. It hasn't disappointed.

For a long time I was not enthusiastic about this lens. I've been very happy with the DFA15-30 on full frame, and saw the limitations of the small focal range more than the potential advantages. Of the latter, there are many.

It is comparatively tiny. It is nowhere near as front heavy. It takes normal 82mm filters. It has (probably) better weather sealing. It has a AF/MF switch and a focus lock. The hood is better. Flare resistance is better. The difference in build quality is marked - it really feels like a Pentax. I initially thought it was an internal zoom design, but the front element does in fact retract slightly from 11mm to 16mm, only to extend infinitesimally back out to 18mm.

Optically it is pretty hard to fault, accepting the limitations of ultra-wide lenses. It is very sharp in the central 75% or so from wide open, but it does take f/8.0 or so to crisp up the corners. There is some purple and green fringing in the corners in high contrast situations, but it was never difficult to correct in Lightroom. Distortion is negligible. Looking really critically, I think my copy might be very slightly de-centred, but probably not enough to be worth the hassle of getting it adjusted.

I might keep the 15-30 for serious stuff locally, but when I'm packing for travel the 11-18 will be the choice. Every time.

As far as my own performance goes, I would say consistent but uninspiring. I guess you can't have everything. With any luck the new street machine will get the creative juices flowing in April

Thanks to everyone once again for your cameraderie (sic).
03-31-2019, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not need further distractions

I am catching up on the past week's absence, but I can review the DA 40mm XS right now. IT is an incredible lens on APS-C or full frame, I always have it in my camera bag, and it spends weeks on my camera. IT was the only prime I took when I was travelling very light for 6 months.
The first prime lens I purchased for my DSLR, and so good that I didn't feel I needed another prime in that range. Used copies cost less that $200, everyone should own one at least as a back up lens "just in case" , especially since it does open up to f2.8 and works well in low light. I keep mine in a small pouch that is part of my camera holster.

I'd love to have a DSLR smaller than a K-5, or mirrorless camera to pair this lens with the high IQ in such a compact package makes it a great walk-around combo.

I will try to catch up on comments today.

Last edited by robgski; 03-31-2019 at 03:06 AM.
03-31-2019, 03:37 AM - 2 Likes   #165
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

K5 & m35/2.8

Time for monthly wrap up. M35/2.8 was the last lens in line on my SIC round with M series primes. 17 lenses, as ruled M400, M20 and M28/2 out due to my needs, rarity and price combination. Still it's taken some time to go thru them. I started this project to learn the difference between lenses and focal range. It's been a good ride and as a bonus I've learned a lot new also from ptohography and post processing. Thanks for all who has joined me in this journey. But this is also a beginning. In April I finally get to shoot daily with K1ii. About year and half ago I made my mind that I would evetually go to full frame to be able to use my lenses as they were designed. I postponed the purchase for a year, as I was still in the middle on APSC round, but finally found an offer I couldn't refuse. Since then it's been a long wait to finish the APSC round. I'm glad I did, as that kept the play field even for the lenses. Even happier to finally go FF.

Not much to complain about my performance in SIC this month. I shot and delivered in time every day. There were few cheap shots where I didn't spent time and/or energy in process, but if you can't tell what they were, I'm not gonna help by pointing them out My trip to north was exhausting and I didn't have the energy to keep on commenting regularly. That's a slight minus on my monthly performance. I made my first experiments with focus stack and liked the results, so I need to pay the lisence to keep the program going. I'm happy with the versatility of my production. A bit surprised of the amount of portrait shots.

2.8 had a challenging starting point for this month, as M35/2 is one of my favorite lenses. Based on the little testing I had done previously with the lens I expected it to be good, but still expected to keep it only for 2 months in SIC, as I didn't see the need to own 2 35mm lenses. It's still hard to see the need, but the thought of letting this lens go is harder to accept. Might end up keeping it on the shelf just because it's too good to let go

This lens excels when shooting objects at near or moderate distance and that's where it's better than M35/2. The pop is very good for this focal length. I wasn't happy with my macro experiments and not quite satisfied with shooting to the infinity, but I haven't checked the adjustment yet. There's a possibility that lens doesn't quite reach infinity at the moment. I need to chack this before next month is over. M series colors, so no surprise there. I liked wide open performance and didn't hesitate to go there when I wanted soft bokeh. Still it gets sharper as you stop down to f5.6, which feels like the sweet spot for this lens. Starburst is not the best in series and there is some flare from the lights, so for night shooting I'd take some other lens. Fringing is not bad. Price vs quality this is better deal than f2, but I still belive f2 is better for me. When compared to other M series primes both 35mm lenses are very good.

I continue with M35/2.8 in April challenge, but mount it to K1ii. Very interested to see the difference in behavior between 2 sencor formats. Couldn't miss this chance to compare back to back months.

Wide open:

Focus stack from wide open shots:

F5.6:

F5.6:

F8:

F8:

F11: