Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 168 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2019, 04:49 AM - 5 Likes   #166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Last picture up so time to summarise my month. I have really enjoyed this one, lots of participants and I made it all the way through - been fun and there have been some excellent images and ideas on show.

My month with the A*85 really has been a revelation. This is a lens I took a gamble on on eBay - cosmetically it has a few marks - but the end results have shown me it was worth it. The bokeh has been consistently great from f1.4 through to f11, it is sharp where it needs to be at all apertures and deserves the reputation it has in the lens reviews.

Although it is a big lump of glass (just shy of 20oz) (555g to those of you in metric land) this weight is condensed into a relatively small package and so the balance is good on the K-1 - and it uses tidy-sized 67mm filters.

Best of all this lens is so easy to focus; I have had a much better experience this month than last (with the A135/2.8 - not that I disliked that lens at all). From MFD to infinity is a simple 180 degree twist that is perfectly damped.
Overall there has been nothing that I have disliked about the lens for the entirety of this month’s challenge which I think is the biggest positive of all.

My favourites for the month at:
F1.4

F1.8

F3.2

F11

As a last minute bonus I awoke an hour late as we moved to BST last night (change camera settings!!!) to find my wheel shadow got explored. Who knew!?

Just got to finish commenting now. Won't be in in April but probably May.

03-31-2019, 05:36 AM   #167
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
change camera settings!!!
Done. Thanks for remainder. I turned clocks in the morning, but didn't remember cameras.
03-31-2019, 05:53 AM   #168
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Thanks for remainder. I turned clocks in the morning, but didn't remember cameras.
Mine changed automatically. Did you not have the "DST" checked in the settings?
03-31-2019, 06:00 AM - 4 Likes   #169

Well I went the whole month without posting in here. Sorry for being anti-social. Thank you Sandy for sending me the link.
It was a fun month. This is the first time I tried to limit myself to 1 lens. I learned a lot and saw some amazing photos from all of you. The DA20-40 is a handy little lens. I have really enjoyed using it and believe that one is a keeper for me. Looking forward to next month.

03-31-2019, 06:37 AM   #170
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Mine changed automatically. Did you not have the "DST" checked in the settings?
No. Haven't found such thing. Went thru whole menu a moment ago and couldn't find it.
03-31-2019, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #171

Another SIC done and dusted. I've enjoyed using the Pentacon 300mm, having to use a monopod almost made me feel like a real photographer. One picture got Explored, which was amusing. The lens itself is fun to use, although I found getting precisely focussed was occasionally a challenge. Thanks to everyone who commented on my photos, it's always encouraging. Looking forward to next month, with something easier to carry around.
03-31-2019, 10:20 AM - 7 Likes   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just posted my 365th consecutive Single In picture... What a fun year!

03-31-2019, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #173
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
nice!
03-31-2019, 11:02 AM   #174
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
No. Haven't found such thing. Went thru whole menu a moment ago and couldn't find it.
It's listed under World Time, depending on the camera.
03-31-2019, 12:06 PM   #175
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
It's listed under World Time, depending on the camera.
Found it. There was a subfolder I hadn't realized.
03-31-2019, 12:11 PM - 3 Likes   #176
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

365/365 congrats!
03-31-2019, 04:48 PM - 2 Likes   #177
Loyal Site Supporter

top effort

Well done. It is so easy to just fudge a day and not push yourself to get another shot, I have enjoyed following since I started in the SIC, thank you.
03-31-2019, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow the first SIC I've done in quite a while and first one that I didn't feel stale. It's late and I've had a long day but to summarize the month with the DFA*50 f1.4, I have to say that although I've owned a number of 50mm lens, somehow none of them ever won much love from me. It was worse on the APSc camera but no on the K-1II this lens just feels right. Just like back in the film days, the 50mm lens was good for many things and the DFA*50 brings that feeling back to me. Ok, it's sharp too and a bunch of other nice qualities you'd expect in * glass. This is a keeper lens. Very impressed with it.

Thank you all who provided comments on my images, I appreciate all of them. Nice to be back here too.

On to April
04-01-2019, 12:17 AM   #179
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What can I say about the HD 55-300mm WR ED. Well, it's the sharpest zoom lens in my arsenal of lenses I've bought over the years, but and yes, there's a but, the closer the subject the sharper the subject. I've found this out when shooting the squirrels in the yard, to the squirrels on the fence. The squirrels in the yard were shot at 300mm, the ones on the fence shot at less than 300mm, so I'm not assuming this lens isn't tack sharp at 300mm either, just like my other zoom lenses aren't. It's a keeper though, and didn't break the bank when I bought it either. And it's the lightest zoom lens I own so carrying it around attached to either of my three cameras won't be a problem. Once it gets a tad warmer here, I'll take her for a spin down by the river and see how she does with the herons, and egrets.

And for my friends who have no squirrels in their country, if any of you would like printable photos of these squirrels, send me a pm with your email and I'll email you any printable versions of your choice. I don't resize dpi or pixel wise, they're uploaded at 300dpi. Just let me know which ones you want copies of them.
04-02-2019, 12:19 PM - 3 Likes   #180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oke very late summary. I normally never write something about the lens I use, because I never know what to write, but I will try.
I forgot I had the RMC Tokina 28mm f2.8, not so strange. I have 14 other pictures on my flickr page and I took the last shot in 2013.
It is not the best lens I have, but I like the a-bit-old-fashioned-colours. It was an better month than February. Indoor pictures are much easier with a 28mm instead of 55mm.
Sorry for not commenting very much, lack of energy. But I enjoyed all your shots.

Some of my favourites

March 1st - Eternal
by Iris de Ronde, on Flickr

March 4th - Forum

March 8th - Hot and steamy

March 14th - Between showers