Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2019, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #16

Photos: Albums
I've really enjoyed using the Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Orestegor 200mm f4 this month. So much so that I've obtained its big brother, the Pentacon 300mm f4. Much easier to spell and I'll also get a good workout toting it around all month.

02-26-2019, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well I’m heading for quite busy march, but there is this Sigma 85, that I’d like to give a proper go. it is hard to get my FA 31 off from my K-1 and it usually is replaced with 15-30 or 70-200....but I will give it a thought. It is fun to do daily, but itis also great to give one lens a proper workout.
02-26-2019, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in too

Hmmm it has been fun with the 300mm this month, after January with the fisheye. I think I will go for something in between.
DA*55mm could fit with the 50mm ish theme of some others, or perhaps the FA*85mm in honour of the again promised and pushed back DA*85 or maybe the crazy SMC 85mm 2.2 Soft........ who knows
02-26-2019, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
or maybe the crazy SMC 85mm 2.2 Soft........ who knows
Oooh, this! I have an F85/2.8 soft on the way from Canada. I'd love to see what the K version has to offer; with only two elements in one group the optical design is as simple as my Lomography Daguerreotype Achromat.

02-26-2019, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Oooh, this! I have an F85/2.8 soft on the way from Canada. I'd love to see what the K version has to offer; with only two elements in one group the optical design is as simple as my Lomography Daguerreotype Achromat.
The 85 2.2 is the lens that started me getting offside with the camera club judges. Back in the film/slide days, they just couldn't work out why the photos looked so different, it was a love it or leave it response. Strongest results with flowers and people. I have the FA 85 soft and enjoy using that too, decisions , decisions.
I am sure that a certain dog might have it's features softened when your new lens arrives....... DA* digital pixel peeping lenses have nothing on the story telling ability of these oddball soft lenses
02-26-2019, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I’m trying to catch up on everything bit by bit. March doesn’t look too bad for me so I’m going to say that I’m in too. The A135 has been nice to use this month but it isn’t easy to use quickly as the focus throw is so long. I have two lenses in mind that fit with discussions so far.
So for me I think it will be either the A50/1.2 (not singled but had for a while) or the relatively new to me A*85 which I’m dying to try out properly.
02-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the K85 soft lens. Really simple to use, never tried to compare it to the Achromat but I think you can get very similar results.

02-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
....or the relatively new to me A*85 which I’m dying to try out properly.
Do it! I'd love to see some shots from that bad boy.
02-27-2019, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a sneaky suspicion that my DA*11-18/2.8 might arrive tomorrow, so a change of lens for March is on the cards....
02-27-2019, 07:59 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This will be good. I have a suspicion though that if I went for this lens it would mostly be used for astro.
I'll be expecting to see a few star field and milky way shots given that its summer down there

I think I'd really come down on the 85 side already - I only have a generic rubber hood at the moment though it seems to be effective
02-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a sneaky suspicion that my DA*11-18/2.8 might arrive tomorrow, so a change of lens for March is on the cards....
Just in case it proves no good , I will step up and look after it for you at no charge...........
Fat chance I guess
02-27-2019, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I might stay onboard and enjoy the return trip.

Here's a sample taken with my March lens, Vivitar 28mm 1:2.0 MC Close Focus Wide Angle (Komine) - It's a manual focus A lens from the 70's

Here's a quoted review:
"Ok, so what's the verdict?

This is really an outstanding lens. The close focus is remarkably useful and, combining that with f/2 and a decent OOF PSF, this lens can produce bokeh that are way better than most 28mm lenses can deliver.
Where things are in focus, they're sharp -- even wide open. Stopping down even a little improves the already-modest vignetting, and immediately improves both contrast and colors.
Colors aren't bad even wide open, but they get a little more accurate and slightly colder when stopped down. Distortion is minimal, and I really don't see any flare problems either."

Sunflower
by John Pride, on Flickr Minimal processing in LR 5.7

Ohh, this lens is insanely sharp
02-27-2019, 10:57 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA*11-18 arrived as expected, and I just popped into the office to pick it up on the way to my afternoon's work.

Maybe I've been conditioned to the enormity of the DFA15-30 on the K-1, but I'm impressed with how compact it is. It's heavy though - quite the dense little nugget. Balance is pretty good on the KP with the D-BG7 fitted. Zoom and focus rings are buttery smooth, and the focus lock looks to work well despite not stopping the ring from rotating.

I'm super keen to get home and give it proper going-over!
02-28-2019, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, despite really "needing" a lens 20mm or wider for fullram/135 format, I have the FA77 coming. It will not arrive for march but now I think of letting go the Takumar 105mm and 85mm F1.9 to justify that lens (I have the Helios 40 left, which is a real carry weight but still a 85mm for my SPF, in case I will need it. To get a more light month I am thinking between the Mir-37 lens (37mm), the Pentax SMC-M 28mm, the Voigtländer Color-Ultron 50mm or the Ricoh Theta V. Maybe you'll help me decide before tomorrow comes
02-28-2019, 12:31 AM   #30
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

decisions, decisions...

I'll be taking the easy road for March:. Sigma 24mm f1.8 EX DG....