Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 117 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graeme83 Quote
Been out finishing a roll of film today but probably have to wait till tomorrow to develop, went to a little nature reserve next to the River Goyt which is full and flowing very fast so that was pretty impressive.

Met a fellow photographer and had a little chat, think he was impressed I was using film. He told me of the remains of an old bridge underneath the new one that's visible when the water is a bit lower and a spot on the bank that lets you get right out into the flow. So will plan to head back there later in the year to see that.

Whilst out I left a cyanotype on the windowsill to see if I could repeat the results of the other day, some cool patterns but not sure if the image has come through well enough, its drying now and will report back after 24hours.

So yea productive day but I don't actually have anything to show as yet, might revisit some older negatives again.
I look forward to seeing the fruits of your productive day.

03-15-2019, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Southport NC for my 22nd wedding anniversary. Shots on Flickr and a couple in Daily in. Having a great time.

---------- Post added 03-15-19 at 10:46 PM ----------

I made a classic mistake btw. I brought the EM1 and several lenses in a bag but didn't plan to carry said bag. Early in the day I went out with the 12-32 and the 45-175 and then later when it was towards evening I swapped for the 20mm f1.7 and the 60mm f2.8 - the error? I didn't bring a camera strap!

It's small enough I can carry it without fatigue and I have a backpack I can toss it into but dang! Not even a wrist strap.
03-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In Southport NC for my 22nd wedding anniversary. Shots on Flickr and a couple in Daily in. Having a great time.
Congratulations, and many happy returns.
03-17-2019, 06:50 AM - 2 Likes   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, a few have remarked on my facial expressions and crazy ideas. I have been a fan of Scott McBride and Xavier J. Peg whose feed I have shared before. This other fellow has raised eyebrows because he shoots photos of his kids in crazy situations- but he is merging frames in photoshop. His Flickr isn’t as good as his Facebook feed for “BTS” shots. Anyway... thought I would share... and check those facial expressions.
John Wilhelm is a photoholic | Flickr

03-17-2019, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just got back from North Carolina. While it was mostly about seeing our daughter, I was out and about during the early eveing watching the pub crawlers celebrate the eve of St Patrick's Day. I hope I got some good pix.
03-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Just got back from North Carolina. While it was mostly about seeing our daughter, I was out and about during the early eveing watching the pub crawlers celebrate the eve of St Patrick's Day. I hope I got some good pix.
Where were you?
03-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Where were you?
In Greensboro, NC. Great little city, we've enjoyed getting to know it in the past 8 months while our daughter has been working there.

03-19-2019, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the well wishes yesterday.....I hope to be back posting and commenting tomorrow or Thursday.
03-20-2019, 04:59 PM - 4 Likes   #69
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't wait to join in April. So many new toys to play with!
03-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I can't wait to join in April. So many new toys to play with!
Looking forward to seeing your contributions.
03-23-2019, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Trying out DA lenses on the K-1, today I used the DA 55-300 in crop mode, pretty good results so far. I can't wait to see how the DA 21mm and the K-1 get along
03-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Trying out DA lenses on the K-1, today I used the DA 55-300 in crop mode, pretty good results so far. I can't wait to see how the DA 21mm and the K-1 get along
They will *all* work perfectly in crop mode Rob. That's what it's for
03-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
They will *all* work perfectly in crop mode Rob. That's what it's for
Thanks for the assurance.
What I meant to say is I look forward to seeing the results on the K-1, especially if I try pixel shift.

I noticed that that DA 55-300mm did vignette a little bit, but since I usually compose with the idea that I will crop, it was not a big deal.
03-24-2019, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #74
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, they should all work perfectly well in crop mode. The pixel pitch of the K-1 is about the same as that of the K-5. The newer sensor performs considerably better at higher ISOs, though.

I happily use the 55-300 (the old DA SMC) in FF mode. Yes, the corners are weak even at its best (say 300mm, f/11, 20+m), and severely vignetted at less ideal settings. But even after cropping I'm left with way more usable image than APS-C. Of course, with this particular lens I'm rarely interested in what's close to the corners anyway.

The DA Ltds work variably well in FF mode. I find the DA70 to work well (with somewhat weak corners, but as long as I know that I'm fine with it). The DA15 can work well in 1:1 crop. Not sure I have tried the 21.

One more thing - a reason to use crop mode over cropping in post is if you need the higher frame rate. IIRC it's 4.4 fps in FF and 6.7 fps in crop mode.

Umm, yes, and I'm aware that I'm not much of a pixel peeper.
03-24-2019, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A glorious spring day, I think I'll take the DA 18-135 or the DA 21 out for a spin on the K-1