Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2019, 03:15 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Depth of field makes it appear that a mini Mrs B is standing on the bonnet(hood).Complete accident as the shot is intended to send to a dealer to part exchange the car!(will ‘shop it out tomorrow)

I like that effect Tim!

03-28-2019, 01:00 PM - 4 Likes   #62
Pentaxian

Deliberate camera movement and a dusty reflective surface (TV) combine for this one.

03-28-2019, 01:38 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just another fisheye shot from me.

03-29-2019, 03:13 AM - 3 Likes   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Breathing on the lens. An otherwise boring shot can be enlivened with this simple trick. Will not work if weather is too hot - mist disappears before you can compose or too cold mist does not disappear at all! When temperature is just right you can see the mist clearing and and you take your shot when it is at its optimum. These pictures are not great but do show the effect. RAW processed in camera - K3

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-29-2019, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

Here is what happened when I defished the image above with Darktable. Not bad, but the car on the right looks really weird. Not to mention the pedestrian. Forget about getting a fisheye, thinking that it will double as an ultra wide with the aid of software.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
03-30-2019, 12:15 AM - 3 Likes   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Off camera flash with homemade fibre optic mod in manual mode. Last picture is for reference only - no flash
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-30-2019, 04:23 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Off camera flash with homemade fibre optic mod in manual mode. Last picture is for reference only - no flash
Question for you...how big is the fiber optic bundle you use? (Cross sectional diameter )
03-30-2019, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Question for you...how big is the fiber optic bundle you use? (Cross sectional diameter )
10m of 2mm cable cut into 12 lengths. Bundled together, then split into a bundle of 8 and a bundle of 4 for the last 30cms so I can model the lighting if necessary. It cost me £17 for the fibre optic cable and I used some electrical insulation tape to bundle the cables. I drilled a hole int a plastic flash diffuser I already owned, and joined the lot together with more tape. Finally I held the ends of the bundles over a lighter flame to round them off. Took about 1/2 hour to 45 mins.

03-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
10m of 2mm cable cut into 12 lengths. Bundled together, then split into a bundle of 8 and a bundle of 4 for the last 30cms so I can model the lighting if necessary. It cost me £17 for the fibre optic cable and I used some electrical insulation tape to bundle the cables. I drilled a hole int a plastic flash diffuser I already owned, and joined the lot together with more tape. Finally I held the ends of the bundles over a lighter flame to round them off. Took about 1/2 hour to 45 mins.
Thank you for the description! I was thinking of running the cable through a microphone gooseneck I have sitting around, to hold the position of the bundle. However, wrapping in black tape would be so much easier.

Thanks again for sharing
03-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #70
Pentaxian

10m of 2mm cable cut into 12 lengths........
Is it possible to show us a photo with this fiber optic bundle? Very interesting idea.
I do not understand why the topic is called Stupid Camera Tricks (and Stupid Lens Tricks) . The ideas presented here are not stupid at all, but the ideas are interesting and smart.
Can not a moderator change the title?
03-30-2019, 09:41 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Is it possible to show us a photo with this fiber optic bundle? Very interesting idea.
I do not understand why the topic is called Stupid Camera Tricks (and Stupid Lens Tricks) . The ideas presented here are not stupid at all, but the ideas are interesting and smart.
Can not a moderator change the title?
Go to page 1 of the thread. The flash mods are based on The Angry Photographers, with some slight adjustments, so I can not take credit for their invention. But they are so good I feel that they should be shared.
I like the title. It caught my eye. If it were called Thoroughly sensible camera trick I am not so sure so many people would look at the thread. Only my opinion though.
03-30-2019, 10:41 AM - 3 Likes   #72
Pentaxian

The title is based on an old talk show theme. Late Night With David Letterman.
"Stupid human tricks"
03-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
If it were called Thoroughly sensible camera trick I am not so sure so many people would look at the thread. Only my opinion though.
Just a silly fun title. Attention getting was much of the point. Nothing pejerative or denigrating intended in the name.

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
The title is based on an old talk show theme. Late Night With David Letterman.
"Stupid human tricks"
Yes indeed it is! There was also "Stupid Pet Tricks," too.
03-30-2019, 12:57 PM   #74
Pentaxian

21 stupid humans who will miss David Letterman the most

Here are some off stupid human tricks.
03-30-2019, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is the starboard engine of the Bombardier Dash 8 turboprop my wife and I flew in on the first leg of our trip home after visiting Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada. It might not look like much, but this shot really amazed me.

I didn't expect this shot to work out at all. It took a few tries, but I didn't really hold out a lot of hope for any of them. It had a lot going against it. First of all, airplane windows are really crappy to shoot through. I'm glad they're good for keeping the insides of airplanes inside the airplane, but they make photograpy a challenge. This was shot looking forward at an angle rather than perpendicular to the glass. I'm dealing with the resulting distortion as well as reflections from inside the plane. It was after sunset, so not a lot of light. You can see reflections of the cabin lights along the nacelle. There was also a strobe on the bottom of the fuselage which lit the prop up a bit. The plane is moving and vibrating. Live view was really dark and grainy, so I tried my best to find something for focus peaking to work on and struggled to distinguish the peaking indication from the general static-y looking image I had to work with. Press the button. See what happens. Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiick. Boy, was it slow. The camera chose a three second exposure! Note the cloud motion. And the stars, which I could not see when I looked out the window. You can read the larger print on the ground service information stencils. Score one point for Shake Reduction!

KP with 16-85 @16mm ISO 3200, f4, 3 sec.