Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2019, 12:37 PM - 14 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Stupid Camera Tricks (and Stupid Lens Tricks)

Hello all!

In a series of posts on The Circle Game thread, we had a little digression discussing some techniques using slow shutter speeds for creative play. Riggomatic noted that there was no thread devoted to lens and camera tricks, Savoche suggested the creation of just such a thread. So, here it is!

This thread is meant as a place to share photos using unusual techniques and tricks for shooting that you've discovered, invented or picked up from elsewhere. The emphasis is on interesting, unconventional, in-camera (as opposed to post-processing) techniques for image creation. Just about anything goes: multiple exposure, slow shutter speed, fast shutter speed, panning, etc. Even better if you can share the method behind the results so that others can try it out. For some people these might be new ideas, so the more techniques, the more information, the better. Let's see where this goes. So have fun and go wild!

So I'll start out with some of my experiments.

Here are some using slowish shutter speeds, some in combination with lens manipulation during the shot.

K-S2 , DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED @77mm, 100 ISO, f22, 1/20 sec

Here's a shot taken with a slow shutter speed with a slight change in focus applied during exposure, producing a combination of sharp and soft in the same image.

KP SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7, 800 ISO, f1.7, 0.3sec.

Zoom and pan during exposure:

KP HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR, 3200 ISO

Last edited by Thagomizer; 03-09-2019 at 08:08 PM. Reason: spelling correction
03-08-2019, 01:44 PM - 6 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like the one of the bottles, I have tried a similar effect using multiple exposure, but its not worked due to slight movement of camera when de-focusing for the second image. I will try your technique and hope for better results!
I have been experimenting with off camera flash in manual mode. The mods pictured are all home made and range from cheap - the fibre optic one- to very cheap -the cereal box snoots with or with out the tissue diffuser

---------- Post added 03-08-19 at 01:50 PM ----------

And some pictures
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by richard0170; 03-08-2019 at 01:53 PM. Reason: correct spelling/grammer
03-08-2019, 01:55 PM - 14 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is a flash then zoom with a slow shutter.
03-08-2019, 02:48 PM - 6 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Hello all!

In a series of posts on The Circle Game thread, we had a little digression discussing some techniques using slow shutter speeds for creative play. Riggomatic noted that there was no thread devoted to lens and camera tricks, Savoche suggested the creation of just such a thread. So, here it is!

This thread is meant as a place to share photos using unusual techniques and tricks for shooting that you've discovered, invented or picked up from elsewhere. The emphasis is on interesting, unconventional, in-camera (as opposed to post-processing) techniques for image creation. Just about anything goes: multiple exposure, slow shutter speed, fast shutter speed, panning, etc. Even better if you can share the method behind the results so that others can try it out. For some people these might be new ideas, so the more techniques, the more information, the better. Let's see where this goes. So have fun and go wild!

So I'll start out with some of my experiments.

Here are some using slowish shutter speeds, some in combination with lens manipulation during the shot.

K-S2 , DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED @77mm, 100 ISO, f22, 1/20 sec

Here's a shot taken with a slow shutter speed with a slight change in focus applied during exposure, producing a combination on sharp and soft in the same image.

KP SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7, 800 ISO, f1.7, 0.3sec.

Zoom and pan during exposure:

KP HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR, 3200 ISO
Thanks for this thread!

A panning shot is all I have for now.

Snap follow, nope.. snap, follow nope...I got there eventually
1/30 sec, K series 30mm at f11

03-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
awesome stuff here
03-08-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Like the one of the bottles, I have tried a similar effect using multiple exposure, but its not worked due to slight movement of camera when de-focusing for the second image. I will try your technique and hope for better results!
I have been experimenting with off camera flash in manual mode. The mods pictured are all home made and range from cheap - the fibre optic one- to very cheap -the cereal box snoots with or with out the tissue diffuser
Thanks! It took about half a dozen shots or so to get the mix just right. Some had unwanted camera movement, too.

Love the kitty shot, very dramatic.

---------- Post added 03-08-19 at 05:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Here is a flash then zoom with a slow shutter.
Beam me aboard! Very cool! Haven't tried adding flash to the mix. That goes on my to-do list. Thank you!
03-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #7

These are really cool.

03-08-2019, 03:42 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These were inspired by @savoche over in The Circle Game thread

SMC-K 35mm f3.5 at f16, 1/20sec, 1/4 turn of the entire camera CCW during exposure

Now to try a zoom and spin at the same time...

Last edited by Riggomatic; 03-09-2019 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Added more detail
03-08-2019, 03:57 PM - 6 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this thread is gonna be fun to follow.

Slow shutter plus panning. 1/40th of a second, f7.1, ISO 100 Pentax 16-85mm At 78mm. K-3ll.

I photograph a lot of dogs at animal rescue fund raisers and such. Usually the dogs are on leashes and easy to shoot stills but last year I saw a lure coursing set up at one of these events and started experimenting a little bit with different mutt in motion techniques. I was not successful enough at capturing the personality of the dog and getting mutt in motion effect I wanted after one event at it. I think this one is reasonably successful but I look forward to warm dry weather.
Attached Images

Last edited by Perfessor5646; 03-08-2019 at 05:23 PM.
03-08-2019, 04:05 PM - 5 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spinning and zoomed cattails.
DA* 50-135. Used the zoom ring as my pivot point, which provided the zoom at the same time. 1/8 f22
03-08-2019, 04:08 PM - 9 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Thanks for this thread!

A panning shot is all I have for now.

Snap follow, nope.. snap, follow nope...I got there eventually
1/30 sec, K series 30mm at f11
Excellent! The B&W really works with this.

It can take a good number (bad number?) of shots to get one that really works, but it's really satisfying to get the payoff. I quite enjoy the unpredictability and the role of chance in this type of shooting. It's a matter of finding the right balance of movement within the shot, with some degree of stillness/sharpness/recognizability to "anchor" the image. Each image is a different mix, depending on what combination shows up.

KP, 16-85 @26mm, f22, ISO 400, 1/2 sec

With the shot above I find the ghostly pedestrians walking away from the camera and towards the left are balanced by the single, sharper figure in the distance moving in the other direction. I find for something to "work" it's got to grab me immediately; analysis and explanation come later. The first impact has to bypass that altogether. Whether the shot "works" for anyone else, well, that's secondary. This sort of stuff is not to everyone's taste, nor does it have to be.

I've posted the above shot before, but it's still one of my favourites. KP 16-85 @85mm, f5.6, ISO 3200, 1/6 sec.
03-08-2019, 04:44 PM - 9 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Zoom during long exposure.

Mount the camera on a tripod. Figure out the correct exposure and then double the exposure time. Use about half of the exposure time to zoom. This seems to work best with an object that has small highlights like the reflections in this image.
03-08-2019, 10:37 PM   #13

Using pixel shift resolution instead of longer exposure can also lead to some very green "glitchy" effects. Only shows up in the rendered JPEG inside the DNG. Possible also with HDR, haven't tried that yet.
03-09-2019, 06:12 AM - 13 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Great idea for a thread

I may have posted these elsewhere on PF years ago. Both involved zooming during the exposure using a rope & pully (these are self portraits) and a burst of flash at the start to expose for the face. The top one had a rim light in stroboscopic mode firing repeatedly during the exposure, and the bottom had Christmas lights behind for some continuous light streaks (I was much happier with the B&W one).

I grew up watching reruns Tom Baker as the Doctor in the early 80's.

03-09-2019, 06:36 AM - 8 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Various levels of abstraction - driving around town at night making longish exposures (forward pointing camera