Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2019, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PP Challenge #292 - London Bridge, Lake Havasu City AZ

My apologies for the delay in getting this challenge going, I just have been very busy and not able to get out for any fresh images. Therefore I am dragging this out of the archives from a few years ago from a trip thru Lake Havasu City, AZ.

I am going to shake things up a bit for this challenge for some change. For this challenge, you will have two images to work with, both from the same location, but one is sunset and the other nighttime. You make work with and submit either or both images. I will close this challenge on Tuesday April 16th.

DNG Download - Sunset

DNG Download - Night

JPEG Previews:

For the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

04-10-2019, 11:50 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What an amazing idea! I got to play at combining he two as well as fixing the lighting. Thanks Glenn, I hope they're not working you too hard!

Last edited by tuggie76; 05-25-2019 at 02:43 PM.
04-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

04-12-2019, 12:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sunset... (I may come back with a PP of your night pic as well, Glenn...we'll see.) Another set of great images to play with.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-12-2019, 12:43 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's still a night photo...sort of.

Hey, I say if you can't do something good, then do something weird.
Attached Images

04-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #6

Sunset and Night
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-13-2019, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

04-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thought Id give black and white a go for the night shot and tried different crops for each, the sunset colour is definitely my favourite.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-16-2019, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I guess it is time to bring this challenge to a close. I want to thank each of you who participated. It is always interesting to see the different approaches individuals take with an image.

No one took advantage of the extra credit points for replacing the burnt out lights on the bridge, but still created some great images.

I always find it difficult to judge these challenges and this one is no exception. Each has its own merit.

tuggie76 - You took the unique approach of combining the images and certainly showcase and isolate the bridge in the image. Yours also has the most intense colors, without going too far. The sky that night was truly "on fire" and you captured it well. With 3 likes, you also received the most likes.

noelcmn - You contributed 2 images, one of the sunset and one of the night. Both are well executed and well balanced. You maintained good color for the sunset and exposure for the night scene which still permitted the mountains on the skyline to be seen.

photocles - You contributed two images. For the sunset you chose a tighter crop which nicely brings attention to the bridge and mountains in the background. For your second image, you without question have the most creative approach. I could easily visualize this as an advertising poster somewhwere. Both are well done. Between the two, I would chose your second entry and not it is not a surprise that with 2 likes, you received the second most likes in this challenge.

ccbl - For your sunset image, you selected the tightest crop of any of the entries. This effectively moves the focus to the sunset and mountains. Well executed. You also have a nicely processed night image.

todd - I love your sharpening skills for both images! An excellent job with the white balance for the night image. Both are excellent. It is not easy, but between the two, I think I will give the slight advantage to the night image. With 1 like, you are in third place with likes.

graeme83 - You have the only B&W image in the challenge. Your selection for using B&W for the night image and negative space works well and certainly creates a "mood" for the image. I like your crop for the sunset image, giving a panorama feel to the image and thus removing the distractions of the foreground. Nicely done.

This is never easy, but my selection is as follows:

Third Place:
photocles nuclear winter

Second Place:
todd (night image)

First Place and the honor of hosting 293 goes to...

(dramatic pause and drum roll)

tuggie76!

This is what I did with the images:

04-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks Glenn, 2 really great images to work with, as shown by the good images presented.

I'll figure something out for the next one in the next day or so.
04-16-2019, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations tuggie76! Your combination approach is really stunning.

Todd's version of Glenn's night image is great - there's loads detail in every part of the final product.

Thank you once again, Glenn, for hosting the Challenge and for including such a great pair of images to work with.

I hope that my "Nuclear Winter" take on your night photo didn't depress anyone too much. (Just a bit of fun...I don't want anyone on the planet pressing any big, red buttons now...)
04-17-2019, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks Photocles, much appreciated.

Here is the next challenge, PP293, File sharing and storage made simple

For the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

Last edited by tuggie76; 09-16-2019 at 04:38 PM.