Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Everything makes me feel old. Taking my dog for a walk makes me feel old. I'm not sure things that make me feel old can be avoided. I just missed call on my cell phone form the travelling wife. It took me five minutes to figure out how to call her back.
That's because you, Norm, are older than dirt.

05-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, this aint the first time I've been shown somehing today that made feel old too lol
05-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Actually, my husband and I had one of those when I lived in Arkansas, we only got four channels, three were local channels, the other was channel 35, which showed movies, sometimes.
05-18-2019, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

If you want to get an idea of what you might be able to pickup, TV Fool has various maps and tools for predicting the signal strength and antenna pointing directions of all nearby stations. They even color-code the results by whether you'll need a set-top, attic, or roof-mounted version of this thread's picture.

They don't tell you the programming of each station, just the callsign and maybe the network affiliation. Wikipedia or a bit of Googling of the call sign is usually enough to get some idea of the types of programming. Note that many channels now broadcast several multiplexed sub-channels so even if you only can pick up a few stations, the number of channels might be much larger.

Happy viewing!

05-19-2019, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We will probably never give up ours. And, when not watching OTA programs I'm usually listing to 70's music from cassettes on my Pioneer stereo system...
05-20-2019, 01:45 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
I'm usually listing to 70's music from cassettes on my Pioneer stereo system...
Well, the 70s was the best decade for music! I moved to Hong Kong a couple of years ago and before moving I got rid of most of my old cassettes. It was made a little easier by the fact that my once top-of-the-line Teac auto-reverse tape player (with dbx!) had finally bitten the dust. I did keep a few cassettes that have some emotional value. Many of them were made in Norman OK!
05-20-2019, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's for hanging your laundry, right? :-)

05-21-2019, 06:35 AM   #23
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Jondolar Quote
It's for hanging your laundry, right? :-)
And the younger folks among us are asking, "HANGING laundry? What's THAT mean?"

But, all seriousness aside, and by way of example, I'll name the object and post the next mystery object:

Television antenna: a device consisting of a number of rods tuned to various lengths in order to receive radio-frequency signals from a "broadcasting station" (defined elsewhere), allowing the user to enjoy audio and video produced by means of a "television", generally a metal box containing a cathode-ray tube device and a tuner consisting of a very large air-gap capacitor, and using "vacuum tubes" for electrical amplification of signals received.

Ok, name this object (and I haven't a clue - it popped up in the mud when I was playing in the yard with a backhoe); distinguishing characteristics, appears to be a chrome-plated brass disk, three inches in diameter, with a threaded concentric hole and a legend saying, "Western Electric Company" and "350W":
05-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Like the "clothes hanger," that Western Electric object is also associated with long-distance transmission but was used on a device that now has apps and no rotary dial. (see Western Electric Transmitter Numbers)
05-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #25
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Like the "clothes hanger," that Western Electric object is also associated with long-distance transmission but was used on a device that now has apps and no rotary dial. (see Western Electric Transmitter Numbers)
From my reading of the web documents you referred to, I would assume this part antedates the concept of rotary dialing, as well. Funny, we have such a device, complete, in a box somewhere, originally installed (for free) in the home of my wife's grandfather (an AT&T employee), for which free service was enjoyed, well into the pushbutton "tone dialing" era.

By the way, having correctly identified the mystery item, it is now incumbent upon you to supply us with a new mystery. (Though anyone could step in to save the "winner" from that punishment, if one were so inclined.)
05-22-2019, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #26
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
OK, I'll play.

What is this?

{Full disclosure: I have had this for about 45 years, and have asked plenty of people to help identify it, and yet still, to this day, have no clue what it is for.}
05-22-2019, 07:25 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Is that for stress testing? It looks like a gauge you can put a part into and then apply pressure until it breaks. Or it could also be a gauge for testing the hardness of various materials.
In any case, something is placed between the two screws and the gauge gives a readout based on pressure applied. But exactly what went between those two screws I have no idea.
05-22-2019, 07:34 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I have several and had to replace one when I tried for the first time one of those limb saws on long handle. Neatly dropped a branch on it.
05-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
That's because you, Norm, are older than dirt.
I invented dirt. Come on, credit where credit is due."
05-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #30
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Is that for stress testing? It looks like a gauge you can put a part into and then apply pressure until it breaks. Or it could also be a gauge for testing the hardness of various materials.
In any case, something is placed between the two screws and the gauge gives a readout based on pressure applied. But exactly what went between those two screws I have no idea.
I have worked that much out, for sure. It seems to be for measuring hardness or tension of something, but what is the mystery.

One more detail, I found this in an old dairy barn. Years ago, one person suggested it may have been devise for measuring the settings of the cups placed on a cow's teats for automatic milking machines.