Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2019, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #61
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I admit, this was my downfall... at least she said "Well you'll have to bring it on our next holiday", whenever that might be!
Holidays used to be the reason why I had camera at all. It could stay months in the closet, but I never left it home on holiday. But then I was pushed into manual vintage lenses... And here I am. Just realized that I have kept only two months off after I started in SIC in september 2017.

07-31-2019, 01:45 AM - 3 Likes   #62
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

July 2019 SIC with M50/1.7

What a month. M50/1.7 is such a solid performer. This was my first manual vintage lens and it got me hooked with old gear. With APSC it was a bit long and on travel I preferred 35mm or 40mm as main lens. Now with FF 50mm is right there in flexible normal angle of view and can be used as main lens on travel.

My July consisted from two parts. I head out to France on the 1st for a two week holiday. I had a plan to shoot every day and start posting shots on 16th delivering two shots a day. From my point of view it worked perfectly. I didn't need to hassle with editing and posting while on the travel and could still participate in challenge. Earlier I have posted travel shots in one dump, but for me this slower pace felt much better.

This is the best fifty in M series for travel use. F1.4 has some advantage in wide open and f4 naturally in macro, but f1.7 has an edge in landscapes and in versatility. I really can't find much weakness in this lens. Of course, it's soft wide open, but that is how these were designed and it makes bokeh real soft. There is a clear difference in sharpness and bokeh already at f2. OOF highlights loose their roundness already f2 and turn hexagonal, which might be negative for some. I don't really care. Sharpness increase a little with every step down to f5.6. At f5.6 this lens is so sharp that there is no need to talk about it. Didn't really pay attention to corner sharpness, but atleast at f5.6 lens is sharp from corner to corner and that's enough for my way of shooting as I like to do my landscapes between 5.6 and 8 anyway. I don't think I used apertures smaller than 8 during the month.

I like the bokeh from this lens. Wide open f1.4 is better, but once stopped down I think f1.7 has advantage. At least that was case in APSC format. Transition form sharp to bokeh is one of the strong points of this lens.

I had DA50/1.8 before I bought M50/1.7. From the first test shots I was really exited about the rendering of this lens. There was such graceness and easiness that DA was missing and what made my shoots look better. Same aspects can be found in a lot of M series primes, so it doesn't feel so unique to me anymore, but I still love what this lens can produce. You can shoot macro, close up, portrait, landscape or whatever and it delivers great results. Magnificent lens and due to huge amount in used markets these are practically free. The very best value in Pentax world

Wide open:

f2:

f2:

f?:

f?:

f?

f5.6:

f8:
08-01-2019, 02:47 AM - 2 Likes   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sic Pentax FA 100mm Macro 2.8

What a wonderful lens this is, a month in the depth of winter with limited chances to get out during daylight hours and this lens delivered. The solid feel of this chunk of glass makes keeping the camera steady an easy job, the focus limiter speeds up gaining focus instead of hunting up and down the full focus throw. Manual focus is easier with the focus lock to stop the focus creeping away from where you have placed it. No problems using the screw drive on the K1 and the ability to be used as a regular 100mm lens outside and a star when used as a macro lens. I added it to the bellows and also the extension tubes, it was a pleasure to see the subjects snap in to focus even at maximum magnification.

Here are some of my favourite shots from the month

08-01-2019, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #64

The final shots of Swansea and environs have been uploaded to the correct days. Single In July album is here: Single in July 2019 | Flickr

08-03-2019, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The M42 Takumar 17mm FE is usually one of my favorite lenses, but during my trips I stuck with the FA 24-90mm. Still, there are times such as this when I need the FE to take it all in Red White and Blue Lobby SI 04 by Rob Gutkowski, or give a sense of a broad expanse.Take A Load Off SI 06-26 by Rob Gutkowski
This lens is not for everyone, or every situation, but it really its IQ is wonderful, and it is also great in close situations, tight spots, or even for street shooting when in crowds. I"ll never part with my copy.
It also has built in yellow and orange filters, and though I sledom use the yellow, I find the orange one to add an amzing effect to colorLeaf Vein by Rob Gutkowski,
08-03-2019, 05:31 AM - 3 Likes   #66
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

July 2019 with the D FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR

what a lens...

I traded my copy of the FA43 Limited for this lens - it was 'like new', in box with all papers, OEM caps and hood.... and I honestly feel that I got the better part of the deal...

the D FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR is everything you would expect from a modern, super-corrected macro lens...

it has all the boxes ticked, such as quick-shift, weather-resistant, beautifully built, full 1:1 macro - there are very few items missing from this lens' list of specs and none of the missing bits are detrimental to it...

could it have a DC or SDM motor? yes, at the cost of its svelte exterior...

could it have an aperture ring? yes, but none of the current/modern lenses do and going forward, the idea of an aperture ring is becoming more and more rare...

could it have a focus-limiter? yes, but again, at the cost of that slick exterior barrel...

I would have been happy with all the optics packaged in a plastic, manual focus barrel, at anything nearly twice its size - it's that good...

I shot everywhere this month; the library, the zoo, downtown, in the fields - and not once did this lens let me down... you point it, it delivers...

beautiful bokeh, crisp colors, amazing details - anything you ask of it, it's good at...

downsides? yeah, it's a little long occasionally, causing me to re-compose.. and, yeah, because it's a macro lens, the focus travel is long...but that is the price you pay for that macro capability...

oh, and the shots?

and the rest of the month:

Single In Challenge - July 2019 | Flickr

there's no mystery here: if you want/need a macro lens at this focal length, do not hesitate to put one of these in your bag...
08-03-2019, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian

Finally saw off the last of the photos I took in what ended up being a fairly sparse July Single-in. Looking forward to meeting the August one a bit more fully!