Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2019, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single In - July 2019

Welcome everyone to the Single In July 2019 Challenge!

Theme days:

Tuesday, 2nd July: MONOCHROME

Tuesday, 9th July: ROAD LESS TRAVELED

Tuesday, 16th July: IN A ROW

Sunday, 21st July: B/SELFIES

Tuesday, 30th July: BUSY

Aim of the Game:To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these wonít be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, itís hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please donít be shy if you donít have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone elseís. Itís a very friendly group and with regular commenting, youíll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: Itís great fun. Youíll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and youíll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one youíve chosen. In the comment banter youíll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (itís a challenge, remember) but youíll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesnít help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The groupís name is ďMonthly Photo ChallengesĒ. Youíll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. Youíll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, youíll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challengeís stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - itís on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, youíll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographerís parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each dayís picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo youíre using.

The thread youíre painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).

This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and youíll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. Itís the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this monthís challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, donít worry. If you have any problems, please ask. Weíre a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here Ö. The FAQ - Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Video below was created by patjp

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON Z 6  Photo 
06-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in... lens TBD...
06-24-2019, 07:22 AM - 2 Likes   #3

I've joined the group. I've done next to no photography recently so need a kick up the bum. I should also spend a bit more time with my Sigma 30mm which I bought and hardly used. I might not post every day but when I do it'll be with a K3II and Sigma 30 combo.
06-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I may have to sit July out; Kidney doctor appointment on the 8th, the find out what else they need me to do, maybe an ultra sound scan. Then the Gastroenterologist visit don't yet know when that will happen.

Might get half to three fours the month in, but no idea which lens yet,

06-24-2019, 11:46 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm in with M50/1.7, but won't start posting until 16th of July due to holiday and will post two shots every day. The right one for the day and one taken 15 days earlier.
06-24-2019, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #6

I'm in. Choice of F 50/1.7, Super Takumar 55/1.8 or M 40/2.8 if it arrives. I've also rediscovered a love for 135 on the K1, it seems to make sense all of a sudden. Or the Takumar F 70-210 or the Super Takumar 70-150...
06-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
I'm in. Choice of F 50/1.7, Super Takumar 55/1.8 or M 40/2.8 if it arrives. I've also rediscovered a love for 135 on the K1, it seems to make sense all of a sudden. Or the Takumar F 70-210 or the Super Takumar 70-150...
a similar boat here: Cosina 55/1.4, D FA 100 Macro, Fujinon 55/2.2.....
06-24-2019, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #8

Having just got a K1 I need to try out all my lenses, but possibly not all at once. I'll be doing a bit of travelling in July so it's likely to be the very portable Miranda 28-70 f3.5-4.6 which proved to be surprisingly good on the K-S1.

06-24-2019, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Iím in. Not sure what lens though. Maybe the Sigma again, without the joker thing. Maybe the plastic fantastic. Maybe ... dunno. Iíll have to think over the week.
06-25-2019, 02:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in for what will be my 12th month in a row, still deciding on the lens, middle of cold dark winter days. Possibly FA 100mm Macro or DA 15mm Limited. Will decide next week
06-25-2019, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I recently purchased a bunch of 28mm and 35mm lenses. Probably one of those.
06-25-2019, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #12

I'm severely tempted to dive right in, but have my reservations as I'm away for a week towards the end of July and am unsure whether I'm going to take my only camera for that.
06-28-2019, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

I will be travelling until 5 July, so posting probably will not happen until then. I have the M42 Takumar 17mm FE with me, as well as the FA 24-90, which I have used the last two months. So , it will be one of the other two.
06-29-2019, 05:08 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
in... lens TBD...

since it arrived early and I have had a couple of days to evaluate it, I'll be using a D FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR for July...
06-29-2019, 06:19 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well back before I spent June traveling in Europe, I assumed I'd be fresh, rested, and ready to rejoin the SiC for July. But then my K-1 bricked on the trip and just got sent to the repair shop, I'm still jet lagged, and not feeling up to the challenge. If I change my mind by the 1st, it'll be something with my K-3. OTOH, I finally dropped the hammer on a 645z, which has for many years now been my dream camera. It won't arrive in time for the July SiC, but I will bring it in on a subsequent SiC.

Actually, in May, I was leaning to doing July with a new to me, Laowa 25mm f2.8 2.5-5x ultra macro. Now, thinking about it, I don't think I can do a whole month of ultra macro shots and really, this lens needs a full frame camera, although, Tsuken's brilliant joker series set an excellent example for me of how I might go about a month of ultra macros.

Anyway, I will most likely skip July but I do have two more days to waffle about it.