Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2019, 04:53 AM - 4 Likes   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
August 2019 SIC with M135/3.5

August done and what a great month it was. I've been surprised by the performance of M135/3.5. Once again the K1ii delivers where APSC leaves you hoping for a bit more sharpness.

My own performance was mixed. Computer problems caused some delay in posting, lack of time forced me into some quick safeties and then there were some really good shots where I managed to be in the right place at the right time. Still pulled thru without missing days, so I'd say it was a good performance. At least the best I could do this month.

M135 is one of the high value lenses. Easy to find, dirty cheap and yet it provides classic M build quality, handling and good IQ. It's not the sharpest lens in M series, but FF make it easily sharp enought. I had no complains about sharpness during the month. 3D rendering is where this lens really shines. Otherwise quite typical M in colors and rendering. Usable already wide open, but get's sharper stopped down to f5.6.

I expected to sell this lens after the month, but now I'm not sure. I need to shoot M120 and M150 on FF mode before I make final decicion. I don't know if I have use for so many lenses in 100+ mm focal length. Money has zero effect on decicion as I paid 35 for this lens, so if I find some use case for the lens, I'll keep it

Wide open:

Brenizer method shot from 24 wide open shots:

f5.6:

f8:

f11:

08-31-2019, 02:31 PM - 2 Likes   #137
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brilliant month Ismo. Some of my favourite "SIngle In" images EVER in that selection.
08-31-2019, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #138
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

At the 112th hour, let me wish all the Pentaxian Fathers in Australian and New Zealand a Happy Fathers' Day. One of my favorite themes.
Ride Sally Ride BW DI 2
Never Let You Go
there is something about a train BW CR
08-31-2019, 03:16 PM - 2 Likes   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Brilliant month Ismo. Some of my favourite "SIngle In" images EVER in that selection.

+1 from me. Truly superb photography there.

08-31-2019, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Thank you, Sandy. I managed to get out in perfect weather a couple of times.

EDIT: +1 to Tsuken
09-01-2019, 12:50 AM - 4 Likes   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Thank you, Sandy. I managed to get out in perfect weather a couple of times.

EDIT: +1 to Tsuken
+1 more, a great month Ismo that 35 Euro was certainly a great investment in your capable hands

---------- Post added 09-01-19 at 06:01 PM ----------

Single in August was fun as always, life and the weather played against me this month, however I was able to still get in a photo a day and apologies for the lack of artistic input on my part.

The standard 28-105 covers up for my lack of effort due to the ease of use and comfortable lens range. The lens outperformed me and was able to be picked up, pointed at a subject and had the ability to deliver sharp results all the time. I will revisit this lens another month in the future

Some of the month's shots

09-01-2019, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

August is a long hot month here and unless I travel there never seems to be enough new interesting things to photograph. I shot all month with the DA 35 Limited mostly mounted on my trusty old K-5 and I have to say that once again I'm impressed with this impressive limited lens. It's very sharp and versatile lens. As a macro lens, it does just what you'd expect, for general purpose use it's does quite well although so do a lot of other lenses. I've had it for a number of years but tend to forget about it, that will change now.

Thank you to all who took the time to comment on my posts. The last few weeks have been very busy for me and I could not comment on everyone's images as much as I would have liked to.
09-01-2019, 11:37 AM - 3 Likes   #143

To me, it was the first single-in month so I fell pretty excited by completing it. Certainly this whole challenge/game offers a lot of positive feedback - from other participants as well as from myself. DA 35 f/2.4 proved to be very versatile lens and its relatively low price doesn't mean low quality by any means. At least to me it hasn't been a limitation.
The challenge itself has been forcing me to think more when taking a photo, since a bunch of other guys were supposed to take a look at it - so it couldn't have been a complete crap Thanks for all the comments and I hope for more next month.
There are a few pictures from this month I'll remember, and the coffee theme I will explore further

09-01-2019, 12:05 PM - 3 Likes   #144
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

August review:

where did that month go?

for August, I used a recently-arrived Cosina 55mm f1.2, purchased at what can only be considered a fire-sale price from another PF member...

my copy is mint, barely-used (if at all), with no marks on the glass, body, or mount - both the focus and aperture rings feel factory fresh...

this is a mostly-metal classic, 58mm filter ring, and front-heavy - you can feel the massive amount of glass contained here...

about mid-month, I switched to a deeper hood to help with the loss of contrast in strong daylight - it helped, but there were still shots that you knew a modern multi-coating would have helped even more...

this lens has it all in spades: smooth bokeh, lovely deep colors, and a degree of sharpness that helped me forget it large minimum-focusing-distance of 2' - if I wanted a closer composition, the lens is sharp enough to simply enable me to crop...

any negatives? other than the lack of modern coatings, a little on the large size, and the MFD, there are really no downsides to this lens... stop it down to f2.8 or beyond and it's as sharp as another lens in your bag, but it's the big aperture that you bought it for, right?

at f1.2, the entire world changes - the amount of concentration to nail the shot is immense and when you do get the shot, you'll dance inside... really, you will...

this month's favorites, beginning at f1.2:

and the rest at various apertures:

and the rest of the month:

Single In Challenge - August '19 | Flickr

recommended? yes, but you may have to set some limits as far as price and just watch for a bargain...

compared to the Porst 55mm 1.2, the Cosina is an easier lens to live with, day in and day out - the Porst is a little smaller, renders differently, but has similar bokeh to the Cosina...
09-01-2019, 12:47 PM - 3 Likes   #145

I feel this month went better than last month, partly due to the absolute versatility of this, relatively budget, lens. I paid 129, posted, for this (without hood, granted) but even at 160 with a hood included (they typically run about 30 here) it is great value for money. It's great at isolating subjects, if you're not too fussed about the sharpness in the corners and that sort of stuff. It autofocuses quietly and effectively, and manual focus isn't too arduous either. It has a great characteristic of making the subject 'pop' with some 3D type effect. A worthy walk-around lens in any arsenal, at least on APS-C cameras.

18-135mm WR

09-02-2019, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
August review:

where did that month go?

for August, I used a recently-arrived Cosina 55mm f1.2, purchased at what can only be considered a fire-sale price from another PF member...
I really liked large aperture rendering from that lens. I haven't found Pentax f1.2 lenses different enough from my M's to justify the expense, but might fall for this one at somepoint. I should start to write down these possible future lenses to remember. I'm already eyeing Yashica 60mm macro you used in spring as there is one on sale in Finland. If it's still there in black friday discounts I probably can't resist
09-02-2019, 03:45 AM - 3 Likes   #147
Pentaxian

So, to sum up August with my borked Takumar Bayonet 28/2.8 ...

"Interesting".

I had a play with hyperfocal settings. That was interesting. With no ability to see where it really was on the distance scale, setting hyperfocal was a tedious process of guesstimating, shooting, chomping and zooming, adjusting, shooting, chomping and zooming, adjusting ... Once it seemed to look right, I could walk on and shoot hyperfocal ... -ish.

I used it as normal. That was also interesting. A good squeeze on the focus ring allows it to move, but the ease of that varies: at either end of its travel it gets graunchy and gritty and grindy; in the middle it's ok. One day I picked up the camera and was completely unable to move the damn thing. With much repeated force I got it moving again - possibly more wobbly and loose than it was, but maybe it's the same.

It has no aperture wossname, so exposure was manual for the most part, other then the shots I went wide-open, in aperture-priority. I was pleased to find that I slipped quickly back into the habit of "feeling" the right exposure, rather than having to work out the maths each time.

Good photos? Maybe...some...one or two...maybe. My head, truthfully, wasn't really in it that much. Some were ok though:

On the wall by -Occasionally Focused-

His Floofiness by -Occasionally Focused-

Construction by -Occasionally Focused-

We'll see how September pans out...
09-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
So, to sum up August with my borked Takumar Bayonet 28/2.8 ...

"Interesting".

I had a play with hyperfocal settings. That was interesting. With no ability to see where it really was on the distance scale, setting hyperfocal was a tedious process of guesstimating, shooting, chomping and zooming, adjusting, shooting, chomping and zooming, adjusting ... Once it seemed to look right, I could walk on and shoot hyperfocal ... -ish.

I used it as normal. That was also interesting. A good squeeze on the focus ring allows it to move, but the ease of that varies: at either end of its travel it gets graunchy and gritty and grindy; in the middle it's ok. One day I picked up the camera and was completely unable to move the damn thing. With much repeated force I got it moving again - possibly more wobbly and loose than it was, but maybe it's the same.

It has no aperture wossname, so exposure was manual for the most part, other then the shots I went wide-open, in aperture-priority. I was pleased to find that I slipped quickly back into the habit of "feeling" the right exposure, rather than having to work out the maths each time.

Good photos? Maybe...some...one or two...maybe. My head, truthfully, wasn't really in it that much. Some were ok though:

On the wall by -Occasionally Focused-

His Floofiness by -Occasionally Focused-

Construction by -Occasionally Focused-

We'll see how September pans out...
Another "interesting month" the commentary on the lens and descriptions of your efforts to get a picture were priceless, well done.
09-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
...tedious process of guesstimating, shooting, chomping and zooming, adjusting, shooting, chomping and zooming, adjusting ...

*chimping LOL